Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Home based CCTV systems

I am wondering about sticking in a CCTV system once I have sold my dogs.
What I am ideally looking for is a system that can take an input from up to
4 camera, record to an internal HDD, and ideally have network (RJ45)
connectivity, so I can review the goings on from a PC (either when at home,
or via ADSL/VPN).

Some systems I have seen only seem to have BNC output for localised
viewing, and ideally I don't want a another CRT in the house, and therefore
want the ability to either view via a PC monitor (D-sub 15 pin), or say via
my web browser (or a specific application on my PC).

Initially I would start off with 2 external mounted cameras so would need IR
as well.

Cheers,
Matt

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matthew Ames" wrote in message
et...
I am wondering about sticking in a CCTV system once I have sold my dogs.
What I am ideally looking for is a system that can take an input from up to
4 camera, record to an internal HDD, and ideally have network (RJ45)
connectivity, so I can review the goings on from a PC (either when at home,
or via ADSL/VPN).
Some systems I have seen only seem to have BNC output for localised
viewing, and ideally I don't want a another CRT in the house, and
therefore want the ability to either view via a PC monitor (D-sub 15 pin),
or say via my web browser (or a specific application on my PC).
Initially I would start off with 2 external mounted cameras so would need
IR as well.
Cheers,
Matt

(bear in mind I know nothing about video stuff...)
could you use some standard webcams ... maybe USB - with repeater cables -
linked to a dedicated PC ?
no doubt there is motion-detecting software available, maybe software to
alert you remotely.
hth
Neil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Matthew Ames"
saying something like:

I am wondering about sticking in a CCTV system once I have sold my dogs.
What I am ideally looking for is a system that can take an input from up to
4 camera, record to an internal HDD, and ideally have network (RJ45)
connectivity, so I can review the goings on from a PC (either when at home,
or via ADSL/VPN).

Some systems I have seen only seem to have BNC output for localised
viewing, and ideally I don't want a another CRT in the house, and therefore
want the ability to either view via a PC monitor (D-sub 15 pin), or say via
my web browser (or a specific application on my PC).

Initially I would start off with 2 external mounted cameras so would need IR
as well.

If you have an old PC spare you can do all that without the expense of a
dedicated PVR. A 4-way input card and some cheapy Chinese cameras from,
for example, this bloke...

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/DIGI-FLEX-U...Q3amesstQQtZkm

And set up a copy of Active Webcam from PYSoftware.
http://pysoft.com/ActiveWebCamMainpage.htm
This allows you to set up parameters for motion detection, disc space
and image quality and is very easy to use. You can also send video out
from it and view or record it from afar, either on your LAN or anywhere
on the web.
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a

"It's a moron working with power tools.
How much more suspenseful can you get?"
- House
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
If you have an old PC spare you can do all that without the expense of a
dedicated PVR. A 4-way input card and some cheapy Chinese cameras from,
for example, this bloke...

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/DIGI-FLEX-U...Q3amesstQQtZkm

And set up a copy of Active Webcam from PYSoftware.
http://pysoft.com/ActiveWebCamMainpage.htm
This allows you to set up parameters for motion detection, disc space
and image quality and is very easy to use. You can also send video out
from it and view or record it from afar, either on your LAN or anywhere
on the web.

I did wonder about the PC approach, but I assumed (and hoped) a CCTV / DVR
box would be a cheaper route to take in terms of power consumption. The
only spare machine I currently have is a dual p4 Xeon 2.8Ghz, which is
rather greedy when it comes to electricity :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 24, 3:55 pm, "Matthew Ames" wrote:
I am wondering about sticking in a CCTV system once I have sold my dogs.
What I am ideally looking for is a system that can take an input from up to
4 camera, record to an internal HDD, and ideally have network (RJ45)
connectivity, so I can review the goings on from a PC (either when at home,
or via ADSL/VPN).

Some systems I have seen only seem to have BNC output for localised
viewing, and ideally I don't want a another CRT in the house, and therefore
want the ability to either view via a PC monitor (D-sub 15 pin), or say via
my web browser (or a specific application on my PC).

Initially I would start off with 2 external mounted cameras so would need IR
as well.

Cheers,
Matt

Ebay is full of 4 channel PCI video capture cards for about a tenner,
with a catch , they will only operate on their own bundled software
which is a hack of somoneleses old application.

Ebuyer has a selection of options including a cheap Motorola USB box
with 2 wired 1 wireless cam for 60 quid, weatherising PIR operated
cams proving a bit of pest at moment though;-) Cams are cheap webcam
quality, no IR sensitivity.

Web aware box , no PC lest running, 200 quid same source think may
again attempt to lock you into its software and subscription service
though.

Both Ebuyer and Maplins have a few dedcated DVRs with RJ45 meaning
again no PC running.

Or IP cams back to router.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 May 2008 13:30:53 -0700, Adam Aglionby wrote:

Ebay is full of 4 channel PCI video capture cards for about a tenner,
with a catch , they will only operate on their own bundled software
which is a hack of somone elses old application.

Aside: I recently hacked a 16 channel EBay card (the £30 one with 4 BT878
chips on, not just the one) to make it work well without the hacked
software - it needs you to do some fairly fiddly soldering, but it works.

I keep meaning to put the details on my website but haven't got round to
it - if anybody wants them, my email works.

With my hack, you can use it as a true four channel card (simultaneous,
full frame rate) using whatever software you like - it uses the free
BTwincap drivers to give you four WDM devices.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matthew Ames wrote:
[...]

An old laptop has low power use, or you can heavily underclock a
desktop machine to reduce power use significantly. You'd need a
clockable machine of course, and it still wont be as mean as a
laptop. Fitting a laptop hdd would reduce power a little more. FWIW
486s had a much lower power use than modern machines.

For people that already have an always on computer, running the
cam app in the background doesnt add much power use.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Matthew Ames wrote:
[...]

.... or there are low power non-laptop machines available, if you do a
Google search for ITX you'll find lots. Alternatively there are
things like the MSI Titan 700, I'm using one of these as the basis for
a NAS server in my garage.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Adam Aglionby
saying something like:

Ebay is full of 4 channel PCI video capture cards for about a tenner,
with a catch , they will only operate on their own bundled software
which is a hack of somoneleses old application.

Yep, the Pico 2000, iirc. The Pico software is a total pita, but does
work after a fashion. I went through a hair-tearing exercise before I
found that Active Webcam ran the card perfectly.
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a

"It's a moron working with power tools.

[...]