Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default VERO board & Visio

couple of ccts on the go, breadboarded to point they work now want to
convert to veroboard (simply not worth a PCB)

I use VISIO which would seem ideal ... does anybody have any vero /
component stencils for VISIO.

A few listed on line .. but no luck actually getting them to download
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 15:21:26 +0100, rick wrote:

couple of ccts on the go, breadboarded to point they work now want to
convert to veroboard (simply not worth a PCB)

I use VISIO which would seem ideal ... does anybody have any vero /
component stencils for VISIO.

A few listed on line .. but no luck actually getting them to download

What sort of shapes for Vero do you want? How do you want to use them?

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.
Electronics for Visio http://www.sandrila.co.uk/visio-electronics/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What sort of shapes for Vero do you want? How do you want to use them?

Just looking for basic veroboard strip layout and resistors, capacitors,
pots, darlington transistors, and 8pin DIL header at moment
Not looking for large format DIL or similar.

Seems that a template set by http://www.vitalsparks.com/visio3.html
was going to be fine ... but this template does not unzip when you download.

Only doing relatively simple ccts .. I could freehand draw them .. just
thought there may be some free templates out there.

Came across a few 'free' design packages, but they were last updated for
W95 .... won't run on W7

In any event not after a design package .. just a simple layout ... and
Visio with its place and move around capability, transparency (& snap
if you want) would seem fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
rick wrote:
Just looking for basic veroboard strip layout and resistors, capacitors,
pots, darlington transistors, and 8pin DIL header at moment
Not looking for large format DIL or similar.

Seems that a template set by http://www.vitalsparks.com/visio3.html was
going to be fine ... but this template does not unzip when you download.

Only doing relatively simple ccts .. I could freehand draw them .. just
thought there may be some free templates out there.

Have you got Draftsight or whatever that can handle DXF files?

--
*A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

rick wrote:

What sort of shapes for Vero do you want? How do you want to use them?

Just looking for basic veroboard strip layout and resistors, capacitors,
pots, darlington transistors, and 8pin DIL header at moment
Not looking for large format DIL or similar.

Seems that a template set by http://www.vitalsparks.com/visio3.html
was going to be fine ... but this template does not unzip when you download.

That's simply because it isn't zipped although the suffix suggests it
is. Just rename the file or tell Visio to use it as is, it's a PNG
file.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
rick wrote:
Just looking for basic veroboard strip layout and resistors, capacitors,
pots, darlington transistors, and 8pin DIL header at moment
Not looking for large format DIL or similar.

Seems that a template set by http://www.vitalsparks.com/visio3.html was
going to be fine ... but this template does not unzip when you download.

Only doing relatively simple ccts .. I could freehand draw them .. just
thought there may be some free templates out there.

Have you got Draftsight or whatever that can handle DXF files?

Only Visio ... but it can import cxf files I think
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2014 11:10, wrote:
rick wrote:

What sort of shapes for Vero do you want? How do you want to use them?

Just looking for basic veroboard strip layout and resistors, capacitors,
pots, darlington transistors, and 8pin DIL header at moment
Not looking for large format DIL or similar.

Seems that a template set by
http://www.vitalsparks.com/visio3.html
was going to be fine ... but this template does not unzip when you download.

That's simply because it isn't zipped although the suffix suggests it
is. Just rename the file or tell Visio to use it as is, it's a PNG
file.

I tried renaming ... it shows then as vero.png but Visio does not see
it is I try open from within visio
If I look in file explorer it shows it then as visio.zip.png can't
seem to get windows to know its not a zip file
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
rick wrote:
That's simply because it isn't zipped although the suffix suggests it
is. Just rename the file or tell Visio to use it as is, it's a PNG
file.

I tried renaming ... it shows then as vero.png but Visio does not see
it is I try open from within visio
If I look in file explorer it shows it then as visio.zip.png can't
seem to get windows to know its not a zip file

I had a quick look and it seemed to be just a pic of a folder.
JPG is a stupid file to use for that sort of thing anyway.

--
*HOW IS IT POSSIBLE TO HAVE A CIVIL WAR?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
rick wrote:
In article ,
rick wrote:
Just looking for basic veroboard strip layout and resistors, capacitors,
pots, darlington transistors, and 8pin DIL header at moment
Not looking for large format DIL or similar.

Seems that a template set by http://www.vitalsparks.com/visio3.html
was going to be fine ... but this template does not unzip when you
download.

Only doing relatively simple ccts .. I could freehand draw them ..
just thought there may be some free templates out there.

Have you got Draftsight or whatever that can handle DXF files?

Only Visio ... but it can import cxf files I think

Worth downloading Draftsight and having a play - it's free, and a proper
2D CAD prog. There are libraries of symbols etc available free too. But
easy to make your own and keep in your library.

I only use it where I must have a PC prog - but it handles the industry
standard DXF files that my CAD prog uses too.

I've no idea how suitable Visio would be for all this - must admit to
never having heard of it. ;-)

--
*Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
rick wrote:
couple of ccts on the go, breadboarded to point they work now want to
convert to veroboard (simply not worth a PCB)

I use VISIO which would seem ideal ... does anybody have any vero /
component stencils for VISIO.

A few listed on line .. but no luck actually getting them to download

If that's not working for you, you might want to look at Fritzing.

It will let you design on stripboard or breadboard (but not, frustratingly
let you use stripboard as a PCB output option)

http://fritzing.org/

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
rick wrote:
That's simply because it isn't zipped although the suffix suggests it
is. Just rename the file or tell Visio to use it as is, it's a PNG
file.

I tried renaming ... it shows then as vero.png but Visio does not see
it is I try open from within visio
If I look in file explorer it shows it then as visio.zip.png can't
seem to get windows to know its not a zip file

I had a quick look and it seemed to be just a pic of a folder.
JPG is a stupid file to use for that sort of thing anyway.

I had the same problem Dave.
I emailed the author but yet to get a reply.

I'll reply here If I make any progress.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
rick wrote:
That's simply because it isn't zipped although the suffix suggests it
is. Just rename the file or tell Visio to use it as is, it's a PNG
file.

I tried renaming ... it shows then as vero.png but Visio does not see
it is I try open from within visio
If I look in file explorer it shows it then as visio.zip.png can't
seem to get windows to know its not a zip file

I had a quick look and it seemed to be just a pic of a folder.
JPG is a stupid file to use for that sort of thing anyway.

I had the same problem Dave.
I emailed the author but yet to get a reply.

I'll reply here If I make any progress.

Bob

I've heard back from the author and he has corrected the file link which
had got corrupted in the "upgrade" to W7
Unzip the file to get Vero.vss
On my version of visio, there is a folder called solutions which houses
all the *.VSS files. If you don't have this folder then just search for
*.vss to find where yours are kept.
Add a new folder in there called Vero and place Vero.vss in that new
folder. Restart visio and it should appear in the stencils menu.
Any problems you can contact the author at

hth

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,

I've no idea how suitable Visio would be for all this - must admit to
never having heard of it. ;-)

Its a very capable 2D drafting program ...
Visio has been going for a long time ... used it first in mid 90's when
it was a standalone company - much used in Telecomms as standard symbols
for all the manufacturers products ... you could add cards to racks etc.
Also used a lot for office layouts, flowcharts, org charts etc.

Visio bought by Microsoft in 2000

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
rick wrote:
That's simply because it isn't zipped although the suffix suggests it
is. Just rename the file or tell Visio to use it as is, it's a PNG
file.

I tried renaming ... it shows then as vero.png but Visio does not see
it is I try open from within visio
If I look in file explorer it shows it then as visio.zip.png can't
seem to get windows to know its not a zip file

I had a quick look and it seemed to be just a pic of a folder.
JPG is a stupid file to use for that sort of thing anyway.

He has now loaded updated file