Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT-ish: Virgin Media cock-up

Received an email message from my broadband provider, Virgin Media:

"It looks like you’ve still got a Virgin Media email account, although
you don’t have our Virgin Broadband service anymore.

This is the email we’re talking about: email address

Usually, when we disconnect a customer’s broadband service, we leave it
90 days before we cancel our Virgin Media email service, so there is
time to set up a new email address.
It looks like we haven’t disconnected your email account yet. So, to
help us make sure our records are up to date, please let us know if one
of the following applies to you..."

To re-enable the email account, phone VM on the 0800 number quoted
within 30 days.

Apparently, lots of such messages have been sent out erroneously.
Irritating incompetence but not disastrous.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 8 October 2014 10:39:51 UTC+1, nemo wrote:
Received an email message from my broadband provider, Virgin Media:

"It looks like you've still got a Virgin Media email account, although

you don't have our Virgin Broadband service anymore.

This is the email we're talking about: email address

Usually, when we disconnect a customer's broadband service, we leave it

90 days before we cancel our Virgin Media email service, so there is

time to set up a new email address.

It looks like we haven't disconnected your email account yet. So, to

help us make sure our records are up to date, please let us know if one

of the following applies to you..."

To re-enable the email account, phone VM on the 0800 number quoted

within 30 days.

Apparently, lots of such messages have been sent out erroneously.

Irritating incompetence but not disastrous.

good chance for VM to try and upsell you, at a time that does suit you.....

enjoy!

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, October 8, 2014 10:39:51 AM UTC+1, nemo wrote:

Received an email message from my broadband provider, Virgin Media:
"It looks like you've still got a Virgin Media email account, although
you don't have our Virgin Broadband service anymore.
This is the email we're talking about: email address
Usually, when we disconnect a customer's broadband service, we leave it
90 days before we cancel our Virgin Media email service, so there is
time to set up a new email address.
It looks like we haven't disconnected your email account yet. So, to
help us make sure our records are up to date, please let us know if one
of the following applies to you..."
To re-enable the email account, phone VM on the 0800 number quoted
within 30 days.
Apparently, lots of such messages have been sent out erroneously.
Irritating incompetence but not disastrous.

Hopefully anyone with sense isnt using virgin's email addresses.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 8 October 2014 10:58:09 UTC+1, wrote:

Hopefully anyone with sense isnt using virgin's email addresses.

NT

because............?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2014 11:11, JimK wrote:
On Wednesday, 8 October 2014 10:58:09 UTC+1, wrote:

Hopefully anyone with sense isnt using virgin's email addresses.

NT

because............?

Because it makes it harder to switch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , nemo
writes
Received an email message from my broadband provider, Virgin Media:

"It looks like youve still got a Virgin Media email account,
although you dont have our Virgin Broadband service anymore.

This is the email were talking about: email address

Usually, when we disconnect a customers broadband service, we leave
it 90 days before we cancel our Virgin Media email service, so there is
time to set up a new email address.
It looks like we havent disconnected your email account yet. So, to
help us make sure our records are up to date, please let us know if one
of the following applies to you..."

To re-enable the email account, phone VM on the 0800 number quoted
within 30 days.

Apparently, lots of such messages have been sent out erroneously.
Irritating incompetence but not disastrous.

Did this have something to indicate it wasn't a phish?
--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2014 11:11, JimK wrote:
On Wednesday, 8 October 2014 10:58:09 UTC+1, wrote:

Hopefully anyone with sense isnt using virgin's email addresses.

NT

because............?

As a general rule, its never a good idea to use an ISPs address for an
account that you wish to have continuous access to.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Aactually, no real issue with their addresses. They are after all just
rebranded Google ones in the main.
Indeed one address I use never ever gets any spam, which is quite nice.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

But that is not strictly true of them any more than any other isp is it.
Obviously it pays to have at least one portable email address if you think
you will switch, but not using them becuase of it as a blanket statement is
a bit over the top.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Dennis@home" wrote in message
web.com...
On 08/10/2014 11:11, JimK wrote:
On Wednesday, 8 October 2014 10:58:09 UTC+1, wrote:

Hopefully anyone with sense isnt using virgin's email addresses.

NT

because............?

Because it makes it harder to switch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Figures.
NT/q

Erudite as ever....

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2014 10:39, nemo wrote:
Received an email message from my broadband provider, Virgin Media:

"It looks like you’ve still got a Virgin Media email account, although
you don’t have our Virgin Broadband service anymore.

This is the email we’re talking about: email address

Usually, when we disconnect a customer’s broadband service, we leave it
90 days before we cancel our Virgin Media email service, so there is
time to set up a new email address.
It looks like we haven’t disconnected your email account yet. So, to
help us make sure our records are up to date, please let us know if one
of the following applies to you..."

To re-enable the email account, phone VM on the 0800 number quoted
within 30 days.

Apparently, lots of such messages have been sent out erroneously.
Irritating incompetence but not disastrous.

90 days! Whwn I left VM my account was still active 18 months later and
I was unable to access it because of a computer failure. I have no idea
of how many e-mails I lost during this time.When I queried it the answer
I got was effectively 'wee will get around to it when it suits us' - no
apology

Malcolm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote:

But that is not strictly true of them any more than any other isp is it.

Indeed not...

Obviously it pays to have at least one portable email address if you think
you will switch, but not using them becuase of it as a blanket statement
is a bit over the top.

To my mind the problem isn't so much in anticipated switching, but the
consequence of having to switch if you didn't expect it.

Long ago I was a Demon customer, until Demon's offering deterioriated. It
took me more than a year to migrate use of my old demon email addresses to
my new personal domain. Now, I use VM for connectivity, but don't use their
email services at all, and the wingsandbeaks domain is hosted by someone
else on the principle that it's foolish to have all my eggs in one basket.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2014 15:54, Brian Gaff wrote:
But that is not strictly true of them any more than any other isp is it.
Obviously it pays to have at least one portable email address if you think
you will switch, but not using them becuase of it as a blanket statement is
a bit over the top.
Brian

Actually Freeserve, or Orange who took them over were very good to
customers who terminated their account but still let them use their
email address.

The worst for me were Tiscali. They terminated my account such that I
couldn't get to see my bills, and since they were 'paperless' they had
to send me a wadge of statements in the post in two separate bundles. It
would certainly have been cheaper to keep the account/email open!

Virgin Media 'wiring' GMM[_3_] UK diy 52 September 16th 14 02:06 PM
Virgin media The Medway Handyman UK diy 14 September 11th 12 09:28 PM
Virgin media, Pirates Bay and US TV shows ARWadsworth UK diy 39 May 23rd 12 06:50 PM
Virgin media cable Tim Lamb[_2_] UK diy 12 July 9th 11 06:06 PM
OT; Virgin Media service. The Medway Handyman UK diy 21 July 3rd 09 12:27 AM