Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Post codes

On 03/10/14 12:35, Mike Barnes wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 03/10/14 10:09, "Nightjar \"cpb\""@ insert my surname here wrote:
On 03/10/2014 09:40, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well down my road they seem to use a b etc on thehomes, but give
them the
same post code as the nearby house. This has resulted in my road,
however as
a new factory building has the same code as I do. I looked up my code
and
there are now five houses that share it, and not all are bunched
together in
the street, so the logic used for this practice seems to be erratic to
say
the least. this is why, I imagine when you are asked for you post
code a
house number is also requested.

The principle under which post codes were first allocated was that
anywhere getting more than 20 letters a day would get its own code,
while, where possible, smaller properties would be grouped to give a
similar load.

spam has come on a bit since then. Not unusual to get 20 'spam' snail
mails in a single day.

Goodness. I don't think I've had 20 spam snail mails in the last decade.

You are obviously not married

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 2 October 2014 18:15:04 UTC+1, Adrian wrote:
On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 07:25:48 -0700, Martin Bonner wrote:
The logic is that the Royal Mail don't organize their deliveries based
on counties - they just deliver letters to you from the most convenient
town where they have a distribution centre.

Not necessarily, since ours is distributed from the post town 20 miles
away rather than the post town five miles away.

Which is why I carefully said "convenient" and not "closest", (with
the caveat that "convenient" is "convenient for RM at the time addresses
were fixed")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

That's world-class conclusion-jumping, that is. And dead wrong.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/10/2014 12:35, Mike Barnes wrote:
[...]

I might have had that many in the last year. When I was talking about
how they were first allocated, I was thinking that ma lot of mail has
been replaced by emails and that, therefore, each post code area now
probably got a lot less than 20 letters a day.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Rough calculation: In 2013 RM delivered 14 bn letters, six days a week,
and there are about 1.7 m postcodes. I make that an average of about 26
per day per postcode. Very simplistic, I know, but interesting.

http://www.royalmailgroup.com/sites/...02012-2013.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postcod...United_Kingdom

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 2 October 2014 20:51:55 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 02/10/14 20:00, Mike Barnes wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Sometimes it's no wonder post goes astray.

i never found that the pan galactic gargle blaster bottles got through
anyway

I've had a bottle of Deep space Wine.

http://ediblejunk.tumblr.com/post/64...ine-blood-wine

edible junk !!! it wasn't bad, actually far better than the local 5 quid a bottle stuff.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 3 Oct 2014 05:04:49 -0700 (PDT)
Martin Bonner wrote:

On Thursday, 2 October 2014 18:15:04 UTC+1, Adrian wrote:
On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 07:25:48 -0700, Martin Bonner wrote:
The logic is that the Royal Mail don't organize their deliveries
based on counties - they just deliver letters to you from the
most convenient town where they have a distribution centre.

Not necessarily, since ours is distributed from the post town 20
miles away rather than the post town five miles away.

Which is why I carefully said "convenient" and not "closest", (with
the caveat that "convenient" is "convenient for RM at the time
addresses were fixed")

I still struggle to understand how IP25 makes any sense, when it is
beyond a collection of NR areas, and way further from Ipswich than it
is from Norwich (which is in the same county).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_postcode_area

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/10/2014 13:40, Mike Barnes wrote:
"Nightjar \"cpb\""@ insert my surname here wrote:

I might have had that many in the last year. When I was talking about
how they were first allocated, I was thinking that ma lot of mail has
been replaced by emails and that, therefore, each post code area now
probably got a lot less than 20 letters a day.

Rough calculation: In 2013 RM delivered 14 bn letters, six days a week,
and there are about 1.7 m postcodes. I make that an average of about 26
per day per postcode. Very simplistic, I know, but interesting.

http://www.royalmailgroup.com/sites/...02012-2013.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postcod...United_Kingdom

I am somewhat surprised, given that they say how badly their business
has been hit by competition from email and other alternatives.
Obviously, a few of those post codes will be for places like mail order
businesses, which get a lot more than the average, but it does look as
though the target of around 20 a day is still valid.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Couldn't post codes just give an approximation
to the latitude and longtitude of the house?

Then anyone with a smartphone could find it ...

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/10/14 19:09, Timothy Murphy wrote:

Couldn't post codes just give an approximation
to the latitude and longtitude of the house?

Then anyone with a smartphone could find it ...

there are free postcode databases around...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/10/2014 19:09, Timothy Murphy wrote:

Couldn't post codes just give an approximation
to the latitude and longtitude of the house?

Then anyone with a smartphone could find it ...

They exist to tell the Royal Mail which post bag the letter needs to end
up in. All other applications are merely spin-offs from that.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jabba wrote:

And I just wish all houses showed their numbers clearly.

Could you reduce your line length please?

Nothing wrong with my line length. I can't be arsed playing with the ll
from goggle gripes posts.

Well, it's only you, and the problem is that when I reply to you the
reply fails and I get an error message citing 'line length'.

Only plebs have numbers.

David Cameron lives at No10 Downing Street. Is he, compared to you, a pleb?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

spam has come on a bit since then. Not unusual to get 20 'spam' snail
mails in a single day.

Our post lady hands the letters over one at a time, if I happen to be
working in the yard. She categorises them for me, thus: "****e, ****e,
****e, bloomin' bill, ****e, ****e, another bloomin' bill, ****e, ohh
err, one from the NHS, better open that one first eh? See ya later!"

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:

Jabba wrote:

Could you reduce your line length please?

Nothing wrong with my line length.

Well, it's only you,

The problem was caused by fred (or google), not by Jabba.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 04 Oct 2014 03:54:32 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

Only plebs have numbers.

David Cameron lives at No10 Downing Street. Is he, compared to you, a
pleb?

In the interests of balance, it's worth pointing out that he also lives
at Chequers and a rather nice place in Oxfordshire with a name rather
than a number.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/10/2014 10:47 AM, Jabba wrote:
Bill Wright wrote

Jabba wrote:
fred wrote

Some of the Georgian Streets in Dublin have the numbers starting at one end, 1.2.3 etc and when the get to th

e end of the street they cross over and come back up the other way.

Like Tottenham Court Road

And I just wish all houses showed their numbers clearly.

Could you reduce your line length please?

Nothing wrong with my line length. I can't be arsed playing with the ll
from goggle gripes posts.

When I earned my living by installing aerials for the likes of DER, we
would have periods when we were frantically busy. These would be after a
gale and during the pre-Christmas period. This was the time when I
would run my private campaign against those who were arrogant enough to
not have a house number, on streets that were numbered. The card would
say, "Mon Repose, Halfbaked Lane, Dimtown. There was often no phone
number. One long road had four names, depending on whereabouts along it
you were. I wasn't going to get to all the calls that were waiting, so I
had to thin them out. What better and more satisfying way than to return
the card with the scrawl, "No number, couldn't find it."? Then the
customer would be without TV for another two days. When I eventually
turned up I would apologise profusely but say, "I just couldn't find it.
Of course most of them along here have numbers..."

Only plebs have numbers.

And only the very pretentious have house names.

--
Bob Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK

If you think women are the weaker sex - try pulling the duvet back to
your side of the bed!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 04 Oct 2014 09:51:13 +0100, Bob Henson wrote:

And only the very pretentious have house names.

In town, mebbe.
In this village, there's only a handful of houses have numbers - two
here, two there. The highest house number is 6. EVERY other property is
just "house name, village".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, October 3, 2014 7:09:22 PM UTC+1, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Couldn't post codes just give an approximation

to the latitude and longtitude of the house?

Then anyone with a smartphone could find it ...

--

Timothy Murphy

e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland

Come on Timothy. An Post are trying to foist that idea in Ireland. Each user has to establish his own post code. Its never going to catch on. ISTR Post Codes had to be made compulsory in the U.K. before they were generally accepted
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Henson
writes
On 03/10/2014 10:47 AM, Jabba wrote:
Only plebs have numbers.

And only the very pretentious have house names.

We have both - am I pretentious pleb ? :-)
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2014 6:13 PM, Chris French wrote:
In message , Bob Henson
writes
On 03/10/2014 10:47 AM, Jabba wrote:
Only plebs have numbers.

And only the very pretentious have house names.

We have both - am I pretentious pleb ? :-)

I think it depends whether or not you refuse to give anyone your number,
or to put it clearly visibly on your house. :-) My satnav is very
bolshie and refuses to deal with anyone who lives at Mon Repos or
Dunroamin, just in case they are inhabited by Hyacinth Bucket.

--
Bob Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK

Six out of seven dwarves are not Happy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Henson wrote:
On 05/10/2014 6:13 PM, Chris French wrote:
In message , Bob Henson
writes
On 03/10/2014 10:47 AM, Jabba wrote:
Only plebs have numbers.

And only the very pretentious have house names.

We have both - am I pretentious pleb ? :-)

I think it depends whether or not you refuse to give anyone your number,
or to put it clearly visibly on your house. :-)

That's what the previous residents here did. I only found out after
moving in that there was a number (well, three numbers actually, but
that's a different story). Since then I've put the number in clear view
and I always quote it in the address.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2014 7:26 PM, Mike Barnes wrote:
Bob Henson wrote:
On 05/10/2014 6:13 PM, Chris French wrote:
In message , Bob Henson
writes
On 03/10/2014 10:47 AM, Jabba wrote:
Only plebs have numbers.

And only the very pretentious have house names.

We have both - am I pretentious pleb ? :-)

I think it depends whether or not you refuse to give anyone your number,
or to put it clearly visibly on your house. :-)

That's what the previous residents here did. I only found out after
moving in that there was a number (well, three numbers actually, but
that's a different story). Since then I've put the number in clear view
and I always quote it in the address.

Albeit my comments were a bit of light-hearted banter, I really do think
anyone who has a number and doesn't use it is making a big mistake. It's
so hard to find anywhere without a number that they leave themselves at
a potential disadvantage.

--
Bob Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK

My wife has a slight impediment in her speech. Every now and then she
stops to breathe.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 05 Oct 2014 18:13:28 +0100, Chris French wrote:

In message , Bob Henson
writes
On 03/10/2014 10:47 AM, Jabba wrote:
Only plebs have numbers.

And only the very pretentious have house names.

We have both - am I pretentious pleb ? :-)

In our area (part of our road), the houses pre-date 1938; that was the
year the council numbered the houses. So nearly all of the houses in this
bit have names as well as numbers.

Our was the first one, and is called 'XXXXXX'. The road is 'XXXXXX
Avenue'. That IS pretentious!

Sometimes SWMBO gives our address as 'XXXXXX House'....!

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/2014 12:56, Martin Bonner wrote:
My Mum's address is fun. No number, no street/road name - just a house name and a village. Fortunately, there's also a town name, so when filling in stupid web forms, one can just put the village name in the field for the road, and the carry.

Ours used to be like that - until they invented numbers a few years
back. Now the postcode database doesn't have our house name!

But as some clown used the village name as a street name in the nearest
town we put the parish name in too - it's also the name of the adjacent
village.

Andy