Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Post codes

On 02/10/14 13:31, Andy Burns wrote:
Adrian wrote:

Our official full postal address, as seen on all the postcode lookups and
RM's own postcode site, is...
House name
Village name
Slightly bigger next village
County
Postcode.

I thought county was no longer part of the address, according to RM?

for any postcode I sling at

http://royalmail.com/find-a-postcode

it doesn't return a county.

counties were destroyed in most labour constituency areas and have
little meaning these days

I feel sad about Middlesex. It no longer exists.
Neither do whole swathes of Surrey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/14 14:14, Davey wrote:
On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 13:43:19 +0100
Andy Burns wrote:

Adrian wrote:

Instead of the county, it's the name of the city (from which the
county takes its name) 20 miles away. So just a "shire" different...

Postal Town, I think they call them ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...United_Kingdom

I live in Suffolk, with my Post Code based on Ipswich, but my Post Town
is in Norfolk. So some of Norfolk appears to be in Suffolk.
What logic?

Well I live in suffolk, but my post town is Cambridge.

5 miles down the road, its Colchester. 5 miles in another direction, its
Ipswich.

Houses on one side of a street are in Newmarket are in (West) Suffolk.
On the other side, they are in (North East) Cambridge.

Both get their TCV from sandy heath.
3 miles over the other side of the hill. its sudbury and tacolneston.

My FULL address is house, hamlet, village, town, county, postcode

BUt the house name and postcode is enough.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/2014 12:03, Mike Barnes wrote:

I quite like the system seen in other countries where houses are
numbered by distance from the end of the road (in metres; odd numbers on
the left).

If you turn through 180 degrees, do the house numbers change?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

My FULL address is house, hamlet, village, town, county, postcode

Full according to who?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/2014 15:00, Tim Watts wrote:

That's is stupid.

The number of times there's a road a mile long and you are trying to
find blah shop at no. X and no other bugger has a number on shopw to
even give you a hint of which way X might be.

Even when they have numbers, you sometimes later realise that those are
numbers within a subsection of the road - a "block", or "building", or
"terrace", or "High Street".

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian
writes
On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 07:25:48 -0700, Martin Bonner wrote:

The logic is that the Royal Mail don't organize their deliveries based
on counties - they just deliver letters to you from the most convenient
town where they have a distribution centre.

Not necessarily, since ours is distributed from the post town 20 miles
away rather than the post town five miles away.

Well, I suppose that presumably is the most convenient from the POV of
Royal Mail when organising their delivery network.

The Post Town for our village is 10 miles away, but the nearest town,
which is is own post town as well is 6 miles away.

But our post town is a bit bigger, and has a much bigger depot, so I
imagine it makes more sense for most of the mail for the surrounding
area to go through there

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/14 19:45, Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

My FULL address is house, hamlet, village, town, county, postcode

Full according to who?

well, exactly. I could even put a road on there, except no one actually
knows what its called...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian wrote:

Our official full postal address, as seen on all the postcode lookups and
RM's own postcode site, is...
House name
Village name
Slightly bigger next village
County
Postcode.

I thought county was no longer part of the address, according to RM?

for any postcode I sling at

http://royalmail.com/find-a-postcode

it doesn't return a county.

counties were destroyed in most labour constituency areas and have
little meaning these days

I feel sad about Middlesex. It no longer exists.
Neither do whole swathes of Surrey.

but Surrey gained some of what was Middlesex

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:
On 02/10/2014 12:03, Mike Barnes wrote:

I quite like the system seen in other countries where houses are
numbered by distance from the end of the road (in metres; odd numbers on
the left).

If you turn through 180 degrees, do the house numbers change?

No, unless you've ingested something pretty powerful.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/2/2014 12:50 PM, Tim Watts wrote:
On 02/10/14 12:03, Mike Barnes wrote:
fred wrote:
Just curious but when post codes were first introduced houses in the
country side were given a number and road name signs were generally
erected.

So how do they number new houses built in between existing houses on
the road since these numbers were allocated ?

The numbers weren't necessarily sequential. You could build quite a few
houses each side of this one before you ran out of numbers.

I quite like the system seen in other countries where houses are
numbered by distance from the end of the road (in metres; odd numbers on
the left).

Will they ever get house NAMES incorporated into GPS data? Number of
couriers who get lost around here...

My house has no number, and the road has no name - deliveries are
sometimes a problem...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
My FULL address is house, hamlet, village, town, county, postcode

Call that a full address? What happened to country, continent, planet,
solar system, spiral arm, galaxy, cluster, supercluster?

Sometimes it's no wonder post goes astray.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martin Bonner" wrote in message
On Thursday, 2 October 2014 12:50:41 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:

Will they ever get house NAMES incorporated into GPS data? Number of
couriers who get lost around here...

My Mum's address is fun. No number, no street/road name - just a house
name and a village. Fortunately, there's also a town name, so when
filling in stupid web forms, one can just put the village name in the
field for the road, and the carry.

We have about 1500 houses like that in our village.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 19:53:53 +0100, charles wrote:

but Surrey gained some of what was Middlesex

There are some anomalies due to old boundaries like
the headquarters of Surrey County Council is in the
London Borough of Kingston-upon-Thames and the
home ground of Surrey Cricket Club is the Kenington
Oval in SE London!

--

TOJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Other John wrote:
On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 19:53:53 +0100, charles wrote:

but Surrey gained some of what was Middlesex

There are some anomalies due to old boundaries like
the headquarters of Surrey County Council is in the
London Borough of Kingston-upon-Thames and the
home ground of Surrey Cricket Club is the Kenington
Oval in SE London!

The Oval was always in London.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian
writes
On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 13:31:23 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Our official full postal address, as seen on all the postcode lookups
and RM's own postcode site, is...
House name Village name Slightly bigger next village County Postcode.

I thought county was no longer part of the address, according to RM?

for any postcode I sling at

http://royalmail.com/find-a-postcode

it doesn't return a county.

Sorry, you're right.

Instead of the county, it's the name of the city (from which the county
takes its name) 20 miles away. So just a "shire" different...

It'll be your postal delivery town/city.
--
bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Davey
writes
Andy Burns wrote:

Adrian wrote:

Instead of the county, it's the name of the city (from which the
county takes its name) 20 miles away. So just a "shire" different...

Postal Town, I think they call them ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...United_Kingdom

I live in Suffolk, with my Post Code based on Ipswich, but my Post Town
is in Norfolk. So some of Norfolk appears to be in Suffolk.
What logic?

Logic related to efficiently delivering the post without concern for
meaningless county boundaries.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/14 20:00, Mike Barnes wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
My FULL address is house, hamlet, village, town, county, postcode

Call that a full address? What happened to country, continent, planet,
solar system, spiral arm, galaxy, cluster, supercluster?

Sometimes it's no wonder post goes astray.

i never found that the pan galactic gargle blaster bottles got through
anyway

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/14 20:37, charles wrote:
In article ,
The Other John wrote:
On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 19:53:53 +0100, charles wrote:

but Surrey gained some of what was Middlesex

There are some anomalies due to old boundaries like
the headquarters of Surrey County Council is in the
London Borough of Kingston-upon-Thames and the
home ground of Surrey Cricket Club is the Kenington
Oval in SE London!

The Oval was always in London.

I am not so sure actually:

Until 1889 the ancient county of Surrey extended as far north as
the Thames and as far east as Rotherhithe.

In 1889 the County of London was created, and the areas of the
modern London boroughs of Lambeth, Southwark and Wandsworth were removed
from Surrey. The records of these areas are held either by the London
Metropolitan Archives or by the local boroughs, but the Surrey History
Centre holds pre-1889 Quarter Sessions records for this area.

Also in 1889, Croydon was made into a county borough exempt from
county administration. Croydon became a London borough in 1965, and most
Croydon records are held by the Croydon Local Studies Library and Archives.

In 1965 more of Surrey was lost to London, with the creation of the
London boroughs of Kingston, Merton, Richmond, Sutton and an expanded
Croydon. For these areas, records are held by the local boroughs (either
in their archives or local studies libraries) or the Surrey History
Centre. The London Metropolitan Archives may also have some material.

In 1965 Staines and Sunbury were transferred from Middlesex to
Surrey. In 1974 these areas became the new district of Spelthorne. Most
records relating to the former Middlesex area are held by the London
Metropolitan Archives.

http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/recreatio...unty-of-surrey

It looks like London apart from the City, was many counties up till 1889.

And its not clear that Kenington wasn't still part of Surrey after that,
though it seems less likely.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/14 20:50, bert wrote:
In message , Davey
writes
Andy Burns wrote:

Adrian wrote:

Instead of the county, it's the name of the city (from which the
county takes its name) 20 miles away. So just a "shire" different...

Postal Town, I think they call them ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...United_Kingdom

I live in Suffolk, with my Post Code based on Ipswich, but my Post Town
is in Norfolk. So some of Norfolk appears to be in Suffolk.
What logic?

Logic related to efficiently delivering the post without concern for
meaningless county boundaries.

Or for distance. A letter which could go 5 miles now has to via
Cambridge and either Ipswich or Colchester

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 20:19:08 +0100, harryagain wrote:

We have about 1500 houses like that in our village.

1500, that's a town not a village. There are less than 1000
households on the 100 odd square miles that make up this Parish. The
town may have 500 households, the larger village a couple of hundred
and the smaller another hundred, the rest scattered up and down the
valleys.

As for postcodes, ours puts you in the middle of field about 1/2 a
mile away. It covers 5 delivery points in around a square mile.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 21:01:43 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Or for distance. A letter which could go 5 miles now has to via
Cambridge and either Ipswich or Colchester

Ha! The Post Office down in town is also the Local Delivery office.
You used to be able to take stuff in marked "local" and the Post
Master would hand frank it and carry it the 5 yards into the Delivery
Office. "They" have put a stop to that now. *All* mail has to go out
to Brampton be counted and then come back for sorting and delivery...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 20:58:32 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

It looks like London apart from the City, was many counties up till
1889.

Nice bit of research TNP - you obviously have far too much spare time

--

TOJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts writes:
Will they ever get house NAMES incorporated into GPS data? Number of
couriers who get lost around here...

Who's /They?/

You can do it yourself on Openstreetmap.org
Some navigation systems pull data from that.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, October 2, 2014 10:33:56 PM UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Ha! The Post Office down in town is also the Local Delivery office.
You used to be able to take stuff in marked "local" and the Post
Master would hand frank it and carry it the 5 yards into the Delivery
Office. "They" have put a stop to that now. *All* mail has to go out
to Brampton be counted and then come back for sorting and delivery...

Otherwise "local" mail wouldn't be counted towards that office's statistics and it might fall below the threshold to remain open.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 20:51:55 +0100
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 02/10/14 20:00, Mike Barnes wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
My FULL address is house, hamlet, village, town, county, postcode

Call that a full address? What happened to country, continent,
planet, solar system, spiral arm, galaxy, cluster, supercluster?

Sometimes it's no wonder post goes astray.

i never found that the pan galactic gargle blaster bottles got
through anyway

Not even after they had been emptied en route? It's the menu for that
darned Restaurant I'm still waiting for........

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/14 23:08, The Other John wrote:
On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 20:58:32 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

It looks like London apart from the City, was many counties up till
1889.

Nice bit of research TNP - you obviously have far too much spare time

Possibly, but I was curious. I was born in Surrey and there were signs
that even then, it used to be bigger...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jabba wrote:
fred wrote

Some of the Georgian Streets in Dublin have the numbers starting at one end, 1.2.3 etc and when the get to th

e end of the street they cross over and come back up the other way.

Like Tottenham Court Road

And I just wish all houses showed their numbers clearly.

Could you reduce your line length please?

When I earned my living by installing aerials for the likes of DER, we
would have periods when we were frantically busy. These would be after a
gale and during the pre-Christmas period. This was the time when I
would run my private campaign against those who were arrogant enough to
not have a house number, on streets that were numbered. The card would
say, "Mon Repose, Halfbaked Lane, Dimtown. There was often no phone
number. One long road had four names, depending on whereabouts along it
you were. I wasn't going to get to all the calls that were waiting, so I
had to thin them out. What better and more satisfying way than to return
the card with the scrawl, "No number, couldn't find it."? Then the
customer would be without TV for another two days. When I eventually
turned up I would apologise profusely but say, "I just couldn't find it.
Of course most of them along here have numbers..."

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 23:40:31 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 02/10/14 23:08, The Other John wrote:
On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 20:58:32 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

It looks like London apart from the City, was many counties up till
1889.

Nice bit of research TNP - you obviously have far too much spare time

Possibly, but I was curious. I was born in Surrey and there were signs
that even then, it used to be bigger...

....witha fringe on top?

I'll get me coat.
--
J B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/14 23:12, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts writes:
Will they ever get house NAMES incorporated into GPS data? Number of
couriers who get lost around here...

Who's /They?/

I don't know - whoever compiles the GPS data for use or resale I guess.

SWMBO (who worked once for a company handling address data) is failry
sure that the RM data only contains geolocation data for the postcodes,
not house names.

So either an intermediate agency[1] or the end GPS software makers would
need to add in house name geo data.

[1] IIRC I think there are 2 main sources of GPS mapping data for
commercial use in addition to OSM: NAVTEQ and I cannot recall th eother
major one.

You can do it yourself on Openstreetmap.org
Some navigation systems pull data from that.

Really - I shall look into that - I use CoPilot GPS on Android...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/2014 12:48, Jethro_uk wrote:

IIRC the US interstate junctions are similarly numbered by the number of
miles into the state. So they can add junctions without disrupting
existing numbers.

It was quite an eye-opener on the I-whatever, going into Texas, and
seeing that the junction eastwards, matching the westwaerds junction 1
was eight hundred and something. IOW the road is over 800 miles long IN
ONE STATE !!!!!

I liked the rest stops in Mississippi. They were like cathedrals !

The interstate junctions are normally (there are as always exceptions)
numbered in miles from the southern or western edge of the state
(Interstates generally running N-S or E-W).

The junction numbers are not different depending on your direction of
travel (Think of the chaos on maps - which are crowded enough as it is).

So if travelling in a westerly direction into Texas it is likely that
the first junction you would come to (not junction 1) might well be
eight hundred and something.

--
Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well down my road they seem to use a b etc on thehomes, but give them the
same post code as the nearby house. This has resulted in my road, however as
a new factory building has the same code as I do. I looked up my code and
there are now five houses that share it, and not all are bunched together in
the street, so the logic used for this practice seems to be erratic to say
the least. this is why, I imagine when you are asked for you post code a
house number is also requested.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"fred" wrote in message
Just curious but when post codes were first introduced houses in the
country side were given a number and road name signs were generally
erected.

So how do they number new houses built in between existing houses on the
road since these numbers were allocated ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/10/2014 09:40, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well down my road they seem to use a b etc on thehomes, but give them the
same post code as the nearby house. This has resulted in my road, however as
a new factory building has the same code as I do. I looked up my code and
there are now five houses that share it, and not all are bunched together in
the street, so the logic used for this practice seems to be erratic to say
the least. this is why, I imagine when you are asked for you post code a
house number is also requested.

The principle under which post codes were first allocated was that
anywhere getting more than 20 letters a day would get its own code,
while, where possible, smaller properties would be grouped to give a
similar load.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote

Jabba wrote:
fred wrote

Some of the Georgian Streets in Dublin have the numbers starting at one end, 1.2.3 etc and when the get to th

e end of the street they cross over and come back up the other way.

Like Tottenham Court Road

And I just wish all houses showed their numbers clearly.

Could you reduce your line length please?

Nothing wrong with my line length. I can't be arsed playing with the ll
from goggle gripes posts.

[...]

Only plebs have numbers. Some dicks like to change house names, which
as I pointed out previously, is illegal unless they have permission from
the local council.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 09:39:54 +0100
news wrote:

The interstate junctions are normally (there are as always
exceptions) numbered in miles from the southern or western edge of
the state (Interstates generally running N-S or E-W).

There are plenty of N-S Interstates, and they have odd-numbers. I-75
goes from Michigan to Florida.

I know that the last exit on Eastbound I-20 is Exit 635 (I worked in
Shreveport, LA for a while), but I don't know of any 800-mile markers.
Somewhere else in Texas?
Ah, here we go: I-10, down by Orange, TX. Mile 880.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/10/14 10:47, Jabba wrote:

Only plebs have numbers. Some dicks like to change house names, which
as I pointed out previously, is illegal unless they have permission from
the local council.

It's not "illegal".

It is simply not recognised unless done through the correct channels,
which as you say is usually the district (et al) council.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 02/10/14 23:08, The Other John wrote:
On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 20:58:32 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

It looks like London apart from the City, was many counties up till
1889.

Nice bit of research TNP - you obviously have far too much spare time

Possibly, but I was curious. I was born in Surrey and there were signs
that even then, it used to be bigger...

...witha fringe on top?

Almost certainly. We called it Middlesex. Thus predating the transexual
debate by years.

I'll get me coat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/10/14 10:09, "Nightjar \"cpb\""@ insert my surname here wrote:
[...]

spam has come on a bit since then. Not unusual to get 20 'spam' snail
mails in a single day.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Goodness. I don't think I've had 20 spam snail mails in the last decade.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 23:40:31 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I was born in Surrey and there were signs
that even then, it used to be bigger...

So was I and it was.

--

TOJ.