Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Masking tape top tip

I hate removing masking tape. You get paint all over your hands and
when you try & put the tape in a plastic sack, it sticks to the sack &
clogs the opening.

Simple solution; piece of cardboard, roughly A4, but it doesn't really
matter.

Lift one end of tape & stick to card. Now revolve cardboard between
hands so tape winds itself on, sticky side down.

No mess on hands, slips into rubbish sack without sticking.

It's only taken me 30+ years to come up with :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I hate removing masking tape. You get paint all over your hands and
when you try & put the tape in a plastic sack, it sticks to the sack &
clogs the opening.

Simple solution; piece of cardboard, roughly A4, but it doesn't really
matter.

Lift one end of tape & stick to card. Now revolve cardboard between
hands so tape winds itself on, sticky side down.

No mess on hands, slips into rubbish sack without sticking.

It's only taken me 30+ years to come up with :-)

I don't find masking tape that effective. Some paint always seems to
find its way under the edge. I prefer a steady hand and, for skirting
boards, a bit of thin plastic slid underneath to protect carpets or
newspaper to protect hard floors. It is quicker too, as you don't need
to spend the time putting the tape on and taking it off afterwards.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote:

I don't find masking tape that effective.

Google Frogtape. It's brilliant.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/09/2014 15:00, Bill Wright wrote:
Nightjar "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote:

I don't find masking tape that effective.

Google Frogtape. It's brilliant.

You still need to spend the time applying it and removing it after.
Painting with a steady hand is a lot quicker.

--
Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Me (to experienced decorator): "How do you stop paint getting on the carpet?"

Experienced decorator: "scissors"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
I hate removing masking tape. You get paint all over your hands and
when you try & put the tape in a plastic sack, it sticks to the sack &
clogs the opening.

Simple solution; piece of cardboard, roughly A4, but it doesn't really
matter.

Lift one end of tape & stick to card. Now revolve cardboard between
hands so tape winds itself on, sticky side down.

No mess on hands, slips into rubbish sack without sticking.

It's only taken me 30+ years to come up with :-)

I hoped you were coming up with a tip on how to peel it from the roll
without it tearing. ;-)

--
*A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-09-26, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
I hate removing masking tape. You get paint all over your hands and
when you try & put the tape in a plastic sack, it sticks to the sack &
clogs the opening.

Simple solution; piece of cardboard, roughly A4, but it doesn't really
matter.

Lift one end of tape & stick to card. Now revolve cardboard between
hands so tape winds itself on, sticky side down.

No mess on hands, slips into rubbish sack without sticking.

It's only taken me 30+ years to come up with :-)

I hoped you were coming up with a tip on how to peel it from the roll
without it tearing. ;-)

Yeah, that would be useful!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Funk wrote:

I hoped you were coming up with a tip on how to peel it from the roll
without it tearing. ;-)

Frogtape doesn't do that.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Heat it up in a microwave oven with a cup of water, works a treat

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
I hate removing masking tape. You get paint all over your hands and
when you try & put the tape in a plastic sack, it sticks to the sack &
clogs the opening.

Simple solution; piece of cardboard, roughly A4, but it doesn't really
matter.

Lift one end of tape & stick to card. Now revolve cardboard between
hands so tape winds itself on, sticky side down.

No mess on hands, slips into rubbish sack without sticking.

It's only taken me 30+ years to come up with :-)

I hoped you were coming up with a tip on how to peel it from the roll
without it tearing. ;-)

Buy fresh rolls of it.
It does seem to have a limited shelf life.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
I hate removing masking tape. You get paint all over your hands and
when you try & put the tape in a plastic sack, it sticks to the sack &
clogs the opening.

Simple solution; piece of cardboard, roughly A4, but it doesn't really
matter.

Lift one end of tape & stick to card. Now revolve cardboard between
hands so tape winds itself on, sticky side down.

No mess on hands, slips into rubbish sack without sticking.

It's only taken me 30+ years to come up with :-)

I hoped you were coming up with a tip on how to peel it from the roll
without it tearing. ;-)

Buy fresh rolls of it.
It does seem to have a limited shelf life.

mark

Never use masking tape where it gets wet. Once wetted it is almost
impossible to remove. I once used it when putting anti fouling paint on
a boat hull.the tide came in just before I finished. What a pain getting
the masking tape off the next day!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

Masking tape comes in different grades, some can be left on for days,
some you need to remove within hours.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, September 26, 2014 7:32:18 PM UTC+1, Dennis@home wrote:

Masking tape comes in different grades, some can be left on for days,
some you need to remove within hours.

I took some budget stuff off that had been left on for months, assuming I'd be lucky to get it off at all. It peeled off perfectly. I guess there's little way to know which perform how other than testing them.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I hate removing masking tape. You get paint all over your hands and
when you try & put the tape in a plastic sack, it sticks to the sack &
clogs the opening.

Simple solution; piece of cardboard, roughly A4, but it doesn't really
matter.

Lift one end of tape & stick to card. Now revolve cardboard between
hands so tape winds itself on, sticky side down.

No mess on hands, slips into rubbish sack without sticking.

It's only taken me 30+ years to come up with :-)

Last time I painted the skirting board in the room I am in right now, I
used Lidl's fairly inexpensive silver duct tape. Put it such that it
went up the board a little, then pushed it down hard with scraper (what
Screwfix seem to call decorator's or filling knives) so the edge was
well out of sight. As the duct tape was a bit narrow for my clumsiness,
I added a strip of wide masking tape as well.

I did that all round before even starting the ceiling and emulsioning.
So it protected the bit between the dustsheets and the skirting from that.

Left it in place until all painting finished and dried, then simply
pulled it up and threw it away. Any imperfections were way down below
the top of the carpet pile, so don't really matter.

I was so happy with the technique, I shall do similarly in future.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I hoped you were coming up with a tip on how to peel it from the roll
without it tearing. ;-)

Put it in the microwave for 10 seconds. Or leave it on an operating radiator.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, September 26, 2014 9:27:40 PM UTC+1, Mr Fuxit wrote:
I hoped you were coming up with a tip on how to peel it from the roll

without it tearing. ;-)

Put it in the microwave for 10 seconds. Or leave it on an operating radiator.

My experience of painting and decorating is that when the job is just finished all one can see are the imperfections.

3 months later it all looks superb

masking tape Gill Smith UK diy 9 April 11th 10 11:21 PM
Silicone Joint Masking Tape Stuart B[_4_] UK diy 4 April 30th 09 12:37 AM
Masking tape on new paint Dave UK diy 7 July 17th 07 06:11 PM
Masking Tape Removal? Mat Home Repair 3 September 30th 05 09:28 AM
Masking tape and silicone PhilÅ UK diy 14 January 20th 05 09:25 AM