Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rotten Hammerite

It's crap compared to what it once was. Are there any alternative brands
in the hammered finish market?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote:
It's crap compared to what it once was. Are there any alternative
brands in the hammered finish market?

+1

I did a couple of drive gates 18 months ago, some 7 years after last
rpainting them - and rust is already starting to show through.

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes, what have they done to it? Why make it worse?
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Cursitor Doom" wrote in message
It's crap compared to what it once was. Are there any alternative brands
in the hammered finish market?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/09/14 19:30, Cash wrote:
Cursitor Doom wrote:
It's crap compared to what it once was. Are there any alternative
brands in the hammered finish market?

+1

I did a couple of drive gates 18 months ago, some 7 years after last
rpainting them - and rust is already starting to show through.

It was only every any good if baked on IME (small part, oven at about
150C for a couple of hours) - even 30 years ago.

Or for some sheet steel that was so rusty that it soaked into the rust
and made it "structural".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/09/2014 20:07, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes, what have they done to it? Why make it worse?
Brian

I seem to remember someone mentioning here that the solvent (Xylene?)
they used to use was either banned or deprecated for some reason.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/09/2014 20:07, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes, what have they done to it? Why make it worse?

At a guess, like other paints, it now has lower levels of Volatile
Organic Compounds.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is it a CFC?
Interesting that from what I read someone is till releasing these into the
atmosphere in large quantities and they are trying to find out where its
coming from using satellites at the moment.

Brian

Email:

"John Williamson" wrote in message
On 03/09/2014 20:07, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes, what have they done to it? Why make it worse?
Brian

I seem to remember someone mentioning here that the solvent (Xylene?) they
used to use was either banned or deprecated for some reason.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/14 00:06, Brian Gaff wrote:
Is it a CFC?
Interesting that from what I read someone is till releasing these into the
atmosphere in large quantities and they are trying to find out where its
coming from using satellites at the moment.

I don't think any xylenes contain fluorine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/2014 00:06, Brian Gaff wrote:
Is it a CFC?
Interesting that from what I read someone is till releasing these into the
atmosphere in large quantities and they are trying to find out where its
coming from using satellites at the moment.

Brian

CFC stands for Chloro Fluoro Carbons so it will by definition contain
chlorine, fluorine and carbon. There are also HCFCs which also contain
Hydrogen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/2014 00:06, Brian Gaff wrote:
Is it a CFC?

No, it's all down to VOC 2010. Getting decent paint is now difficult (or
maybe even impossible). So much of the decent stuff has been
reformulated to be water based. Kurust used to be solvent=based and even
if the metal had traces of rust and or oil, it still soaked in and
created an effective base coat for enamel paints. Now that too is
water-based, bloody useless stuff. Thanks a lot Akzo-Nobel (not).

I suspect the reason why Wickes now sell Dulux paint and not their own
is because of the costs of testing and compliance.

Andrew

Interesting that from what I read someone is till releasing these into the
atmosphere in large quantities and they are trying to find out where its
coming from using satellites at the moment.

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 03 Sep 2014 17:33:41 +0000, Cursitor Doom wrote:

It's crap compared to what it once was.

Jesus. It must be incredibly bad now, because it was **** as far back as
the '80s.

Try this stuff instead.
http://www.rust-oleum.eu/769_780_metal_primer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 03 Sep 2014 20:51:22 +0100, Vir Campestris wrote:

On 03/09/2014 20:07, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes, what have they done to it? Why make it worse?

At a guess, like other paints, it now has lower levels of Volatile
Organic Compounds.

I see. So the EU is to blame. Doesn't surprise me at all....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 03 Sep 2014 20:19:17 +0100, Andrew Mawson wrote:

I found an unbranded equivalent a couple of years ago when I was
re-spraying a woodworking machine originally thus coated by the
manufacturers in the 1970's. So far it has proved durable, and uses the
dodgy thinners that Hammerite used to use.

It was listed on ebay as 'industrial hammer finish paint'

Thanks for the steer. I have now ascertained that runs and sags are
*inevitable* with Hammerite, no matter how careful you are in following
their instructions, when attempting to coat vertical surfaces. Even if
you apply it too lightly to achieve the advertised hammered finish, it
STILL sags! I've tried to build up a finish from several light coats,
each flattened with wet wetordry between applications, and it STILL sags.
Hopeless stuff! Much effort avails nought. Hopeless!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
Is it a CFC?
Interesting that from what I read someone is till releasing these into the
atmosphere in large quantities and they are trying to find out where its
coming from using satellites at the moment.

Brian

It is an aromatic hydrocarbon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/09/14 00:06, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Wed, 03 Sep 2014 20:19:17 +0100, Andrew Mawson wrote:

I found an unbranded equivalent a couple of years ago when I was
re-spraying a woodworking machine originally thus coated by the
manufacturers in the 1970's. So far it has proved durable, and uses the
dodgy thinners that Hammerite used to use.

It was listed on ebay as 'industrial hammer finish paint'

Thanks for the steer. I have now ascertained that runs and sags are
*inevitable* with Hammerite, no matter how careful you are in following
their instructions, when attempting to coat vertical surfaces. Even if
you apply it too lightly to achieve the advertised hammered finish, it
STILL sags! I've tried to build up a finish from several light coats,
each flattened with wet wetordry between applications, and it STILL sags.
Hopeless stuff! Much effort avails nought. Hopeless!

Always did that - the only solution was to spray it on...

Hammerite Rick Hughes[_5_] UK diy 7 August 14th 14 03:47 PM
Hammerite Rick Hughes[_5_] UK diy 13 August 11th 14 10:09 PM
Hammerite ROANIN[_2_] Home Repair 8 October 5th 11 03:00 PM
Hammerite Frank Erskine UK diy 2 June 1st 05 03:20 PM
Hammerite Howard UK diy 11 February 21st 05 10:35 AM