Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hammerite

Anyone have any experience with this paint. You are supposed to be able to
paint over rust with it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ROANIN wrote:
Anyone have any experience with this paint. You are supposed to be
able to paint over rust with it.

I've used it on steel outside and find it survives Seattle weather fine for many
years. I have't tried it over rust.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 20:29:09 -0400, ROANIN wrote:

Anyone have any experience with this paint. You are supposed to be able
to paint over rust with it.

It was pretty common when I lived in England - I did a few bits and
pieces with it over the years and it held up well (but I suppose given
different rules about chemicals in different countries, maybe it's not
quite the same forumlation even though it's the same brand... hmm...)

cheers

Jules
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 3, 9:18*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 3 Oct 2011 20:29:09 -0400, "ROANIN"
wrote:

Anyone have any experience with this paint. You are supposed to be able to
paint over rust with it.

Yes, it's great stuff. Knock off the loose rust and have at it.

Clean the metal as best you can and use the rusty metal primer. It may
buy you some time.

Hammerite paint is designed to be applied to bare iron and steel, even
rusty iron and steel, without primer. It only requires primer if
you're using it on galvanized or aluminum.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 4, 1:32Â*am, wrote:
On Mon, 3 Oct 2011 21:59:28 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour
wrote:

Anyone have any experience with this paint. You are supposed to be able to
paint over rust with it.

Yes, it's great stuff. Â*Knock off the loose rust and have at it.

Clean the metal as best you can and use the rusty metal primer. It may
buy you some time.

Hammerite paint is designed to be applied to bare iron and steel, even
rusty iron and steel, without primer. Â*It only requires primer if
you're using it on galvanized or aluminum.

Alas he is not putting it on "bare" iron, it is iron with a coat of
rust.
Rusty metal primer actually reclaims some of the metal and if you get
all the loose rust off it will give you that bite through any
remaining surface that Â*you need to get into that "bare" iron.

Have you ever used Hammerite Rust Cap paint? I'm thinking no as the
paint is a self-priming paint meant to be applied to bare steel and
iron, and as I said earlier "even rusty iron and steel", without
priming. The stuff itself IS a rusty metal primer.

Here's the priming info from the manufacturer - Kilz/Masterchem:

Priming
Aluminum and galvanized surfaces require a prime coat of
HAMMERITE® RUST CAP® GALVANIZED & ALUMINUM PRIMER.

So you don't need to prime first with the stuff. It's just a waste of
time and money to do so.

And a little more from the manufacturer:

HAMMERITE® RUST CAP® HAMMERED ENAMEL FINISH is a self-priming, rust
preventive coating designed to provide long-lasting metal protection.
It provides a decorative finish that resists corrosion and the
damaging effects from moisture and severe weather. Formulated for
interior and exterior use.

Where to Use
For use on metal substrates.
Can be applied directly over firm, rusty surfaces.
For previously painted surfaces, apply HAMMERITE® RUST CAP®

Surface Preparation€*

Prepare surface by removing dirt, grease, wax, moisture, rust,
loose paint and any other contamination that can affect the coating's
adhesion. If washing is necessary, use a non-soapy detergent or TSP
substitute. Rinse well and allow to dry.
Scrape off loose paint and rust with a wire brush.
Scuff sand rusted, glossy or hard surfaces.€*

It's good stuff, and the hammered finish paint is attractive, durable
and easy to touch-up. It's perfect for wrought iron railings, post
lights, patio furniture, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Anyone have any experience with this paint. You are supposed to be able to
paint over rust with it.

Yes, it's great stuff. *Knock off the loose rust and have at it.

Clean the metal as best you can and use the rusty metal primer. It may
buy you some time.

Hammerite paint is designed to be applied to bare iron and steel, even
rusty iron and steel, without primer. *It only requires primer if
you're using it on galvanized or aluminum.

Alas he is not putting it on "bare" iron, it is iron with a coat of
rust.
Rusty metal primer actually reclaims some of the metal and if you get
all the loose rust off it will give you that bite through any
remaining surface that *you need to get into that "bare" iron.

*Hammerite - the REAL stuff, penetrates rust and binds through to the
base metal. IIRC it has a lot of toluene in it -and pretty tough
resins that stand up quite well. *You don't want to put it on scaly
rust though - knock the loose stuff off - and be sure the metal is not
perforated that it can get water in under the paint. Goes without
saying you don't want any moisture trapped in the rust. Most jobs I've
seen done with it have a bit of a "texture" look - almost a hammertone
or orange-peal look.- Hide quoted text -

Sounds like it would be perfect for one corner of my overhead garage
door that is rusting where paint got rubbed off before I realized the
door was rubbing against the stop before it gave the final closing
surge downward. I'll have to look for the brand my next trip to the
hardware stores.
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Oct 3, 8:29*pm, "ROANIN" wrote:
Anyone have any experience with this paint. You are supposed to be able to
paint over rust with it.

I used it to paint some parts on my dad's pickup truck ('73 Chevy)
when we refurbed it back around 1991ish. Only thing that rusted again
noticeably was one of the "steps" for the bed, but it was already well
perforated at that time. When he had it painted again a few years ago
I think he found a new step.

I've been using POR-15 and like it, the downside is that (probably
similar to Hammerite) it's darn near impossible to paint over it
unless you fog it with primer before it dries completely.

nate

Hammerite paint David J UK diy 14 May 23rd 11 12:17 AM
Alternative to Hammerite ?? Bill UK diy 14 November 3rd 09 12:23 PM
hammerite thinner news.virgin.net UK diy 12 February 13th 08 12:03 PM
Hammerite Frank Erskine UK diy 2 June 1st 05 03:20 PM
Hammerite Howard UK diy 11 February 21st 05 10:35 AM