Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hammerite paint

Does anyone know what (apart from their own thinners) will clean a
paint brush that has been used with Hammerite paint?

It seems to defy everything I try!

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 May 2011 21:34:30 +0100, David J
wrote:

Does anyone know what (apart from their own thinners) will clean a
paint brush that has been used with Hammerite paint?

It seems to defy everything I try!

MIBK or acetone.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David J" wrote in message
.. .

Does anyone know what (apart from their own thinners) will clean a
paint brush that has been used with Hammerite paint?

It seems to defy everything I try!

WD40
Sorry, but it's true!

Neil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Does anyone know what (apart from their own thinners) will clean a
paint brush that has been used with Hammerite paint?

It seems to defy everything I try!

It depends on the age of the paint. Original Hammerite used
1.1.1-Trichloroethane (Genklene). The modern formulation uses a
mixture of predominately Acetone and the petroleum distillate Naptha
(lighter fluid, Coleman fuel).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Does anyone know what (apart from their own thinners) will clean a
paint brush that has been used with Hammerite paint?

It seems to defy everything I try!

MIBK or acetone.

What is MIBK?

Dave

Perhaps you meant MEK (methyl ethyl ketone).

ISTR cellulose thinners works too, but it may be too late once it is dry.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Does anyone know what (apart from their own thinners) will clean a
paint brush that has been used with Hammerite paint?

It seems to defy everything I try!

MIBK or acetone.

What is MIBK?

Methyl Iso-Butyl Ketone.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Does anyone know what (apart from their own thinners) will clean a
paint brush that has been used with Hammerite paint?

It seems to defy everything I try!

MIBK or acetone.

What is MIBK?

Dave

Perhaps you meant MEK (methyl ethyl ketone).

No I didn't :-)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , David J
writes
Does anyone know what (apart from their own thinners) will clean a
paint brush that has been used with Hammerite paint?

I have no idea, but I went round both Poundland and Pound World today
and neither of them have the packs of Chinese bristle shedding brushes
that I have used for epoxy resin and things like Hammerite since the
days when the cheapo brushes from China said "Genuine Hogs Bristle" on
the handle. The hog ones were really good.

The current replacement things with plastic bristles are a complete
disaster.

Times are really getting bad.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:

In message , David J
writes
Does anyone know what (apart from their own thinners) will clean a
paint brush that has been used with Hammerite paint?

I have no idea, but I went round both Poundland and Pound World today
and neither of them have the packs of Chinese bristle shedding
brushes that I have used for epoxy resin and things like Hammerite
since the days when the cheapo brushes from China said "Genuine Hogs
Bristle" on the handle. The hog ones were really good.

The current replacement things with plastic bristles are a complete
disaster.

Times are really getting bad.

LOL, it shows how bad things are when 'cheap ****e' really is ****e ..

I also had a stock of those 'real' bristle brushes and whilst they last
a long time, they never lasted indefinitely and now cost a (relative)
fortune to replace.

--
Paul - xxx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 May 2011 22:21:20 +0100, Peter Parry wrote:

Does anyone know what (apart from their own thinners) will clean a
paint brush that has been used with Hammerite paint?

It seems to defy everything I try!

Once dry I think that is the case. Use brushes you don't want to use
again for Hammerite. B-)

It depends on the age of the paint. Original Hammerite used
1.1.1-Trichloroethane (Genklene).

My old (approx 10 years) tin of Hammerite Brush Cleaner has "Xylene"
on the label, a dimethylbenzene.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 18, 9:34*pm, David J wrote:
Does anyone know what (apart from their own thinners) will clean a
paint brush that has been used with Hammerite paint?

It seems to defy everything I try!

David

Acetone - never buy hammerite thinners now just get big cheap bulk
bottles of acetone ( which incidentally seems particularly good at
tackling jobs where other solvents fail.
In an emergency your wife's nail polish remover will do the job too as
it is mostly acetone too.

( I have attempted to get her to use pure acetone on her nails as it
is much cheaper than the stuff she buys but she won't...)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 May 2011 09:47:15 -0700 (PDT), Mark Brightman
wrote:

In an emergency your wife's nail polish remover will do the job too as
it is mostly acetone too.

( I have attempted to get her to use pure acetone on her nails as it
is much cheaper than the stuff she buys but she won't...)

There is a solution to that reluctance...the never ending bottle on
her dressing table.

I think that Ethyl Acetate is now far more common as a pigment carrier
in nail varnish and as the prime solvent in nail varnish removers than
acetone is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Acetone - never buy hammerite thinners now just get big cheap bulk
bottles of acetone

Where do you get these big bottles from?

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 May 2011 22:09:17 +0100, "Neil Bush"
wrote:

"David J" wrote in message
. ..

Does anyone know what (apart from their own thinners) will clean a
paint brush that has been used with Hammerite paint?

It seems to defy everything I try!

WD40
Sorry, but it's true!

Neil

Thanks Neil - I tried that and you are right. Who'd have thunk that?

David

Hammerite Rust Cap Paint - Too Thick, Too Quick For Me! DerbyDad03 Home Repair 17 September 14th 17 08:44 PM
Paint stripper + plastic / Hammerite Doki UK diy 5 July 8th 06 03:47 PM
cheapest place for hammerite direct to rust metal paint? Haymish Pupkin UK diy 7 July 7th 06 03:37 PM
Hammerite Frank Erskine UK diy 2 June 1st 05 03:20 PM
Hammerite paint stripper Jonathan Ward UK diy 4 September 18th 03 01:12 PM