Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pedestal Door Hold Back

I am in need of a pair of pedestal door hold backs similar in concept
to these available in New Zealand - Chant 3241 Pedestal hold back
http://www.interioreffects.co.nz/pro...hold-back.html

The web site also mentions a Hester 576 series latch back but Google
is not finding either in UK.

The requirement is to secure a pair of PVC French doors that open over
a threshold and steps. There is a glazed panel either side of the
doors so no wall to mount a horizontal stop or cabin hook onto. In any
case the doors will not open full 180 degrees due to the hinge covers
fouling the door frame. The drop from the centre of the bottom door
rail near the outer edge of the door to the nearest step is 300mm.

I suspect I am going to have to fabricate my own pillars and use a
horizontal latch back mounted on same. Any help in locating a source
of such an item or ideas would be much appreciated.

Mike
---
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...

[...]

My UPVC French doors have something similar to this:
http://www.homesecureshop.co.uk/upvc...FQgYwwodAYEAmw
http://preview.tinyurl.com/njoesjb

They seem to cope with fairly high winds.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've encountered many creative devices to do this job before. I always
thought one chaps idea so simple it surprised me nobody had made them.
Basically he had some pedestals which were hollow inside, but with a kind
of hole down the outside. Inside was a bit of springy metal and a little
pedal sticking out. You pushed the pedal down, so the door cleared the fixed
bit of the hollow bit, then released the pedal and the spring bit came up
and stopped the door. However in you case I feel really you need something
both sides of each door or it might strain the hinges.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
wrote:

The requirement is to secure a pair of PVC French doors that open over
a threshold and steps. There is a glazed panel either side of the
doors so no wall to mount a horizontal stop or cabin hook onto

The phrase "pedestal door holder" seems to be strangely specific to .nz

How wide is the panel? Would a long cabin hook do?

http://www.gwynjonesfencing.co.uk/products/24-black-cast-iron-cabin-hook-door-sheds-gate-hold-back

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 09:58:21 +0100, "Richard"
wrote:

wrote in message ...

[...]

Thanks for your suggestions guys.

Richard, the problem with the restrictors is that they do restrict the
opening to 90 degrees; I want them to open almost as wide as they will
go, about 170 degrees.

Andy, the very long cabin hook idea won't work on its own as it will
not stop the door opening until the hinge cover hits the door frame,
not good for the frame!

Brian, the concept of what you have seen is the track I am on I think
but I can't quite grasp what you mean by hollow pedestals but with a
kind of hole down the outside. As you say it is surprising there
appears to be nothing off the shelf somewhere.

Cheers, Mike
__

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in
:

I've encountered many creative devices to do this job before. I always
thought one chaps idea so simple it surprised me nobody had made them.
Basically he had some pedestals which were hollow inside, but with a
kind
of hole down the outside. Inside was a bit of springy metal and a
little pedal sticking out. You pushed the pedal down, so the door
cleared the fixed bit of the hollow bit, then released the pedal and
the spring bit came up and stopped the door. However in you case I
feel really you need something both sides of each door or it might
strain the hinges.
Brian

I have seen the sort of thing you need in Lanzarote for holding back
shutter screen doors. They act as a stop to prevent the door opening too
far and hitting the wall and incorporate a catch to keep them open.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRASS-DOOR...item3cd2fe245d

you require something to affix them to...I'd be tempted to plant a short
concrete fence post either side and use these to affix to

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 14:33:11 +0100, "Phil L"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thank you Phil, I do believe you have found the answer for me with a
minor modification to your scheme in that ; I can see that the part
to go on the wall could mount on a fabricated corner bracket. I feel
sure the seller has an error in how much it will hold the door open
by; 228mm seems surprisingly large but I shall investigate further.
Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've seen ones similar to the no ones but they worked via magnets. Google magnetic door stops.

Pedestal is an unusual word to use there. A desk pedestal is generally a set of drawers under a desk otherwise a pedestal you might put your wife on if you were feeling kindly towards her.