Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default LED, is this a stupid idea

From previous posts I am looking to move from halogen to LED for the
kitchen, Is this idea feasible.
Using an outdoor LED floolight without PIR (say 10w) as a ceiling light
to replace 5 halogens. It would certainly be cheaper than buying LED
bulbs and by removing the bracket could be fitted flush with the ceiling.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Outdoor-se...em1 c43268189
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/07/14 17:04, ss wrote:
From previous posts I am looking to move from halogen to LED for the
kitchen, Is this idea feasible.
Using an outdoor LED floolight without PIR (say 10w) as a ceiling light
to replace 5 halogens. It would certainly be cheaper than buying LED
bulbs and by removing the bracket could be fitted flush with the ceiling.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Outdoor-se...loodlight-lamp...

Note on door, do not look at ceiling with remaining eye....

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/07/2014 17:04, ss wrote:
From previous posts I am looking to move from halogen to LED for the
kitchen, Is this idea feasible.
Using an outdoor LED floolight without PIR (say 10w) as a ceiling light
to replace 5 halogens. It would certainly be cheaper than buying LED
bulbs and by removing the bracket could be fitted flush with the ceiling.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Outdoor-se...em1 c43268189

You'd need to look at the light distribution pattern, if it's mounted
centrally, you'd always be working in your own shadow. If it's mounted
over the work surface, you'd possibly be dazzled by the glare, while the
rest if the room would be in shadow.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/07/2014 17:17, John Williamson wrote:

You'd need to look at the light distribution pattern, if it's mounted
centrally, you'd always be working in your own shadow. If it's mounted
over the work surface, you'd possibly be dazzled by the glare, while the
rest if the room would be in shadow.

I've got a 10W unit in my front porch - I bounce the light off the white
painted ceiling area which gives an even and less harsh light without
too much hint of a shadow.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/07/2014 17:04, ss wrote:
From previous posts I am looking to move from halogen to LED for the
kitchen, Is this idea feasible.
Using an outdoor LED floolight without PIR (say 10w) as a ceiling light
to replace 5 halogens. It would certainly be cheaper than buying LED
bulbs and by removing the bracket could be fitted flush with the ceiling.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Outdoor-se...em1 c43268189

Given that I replaced my 50 watt GU10s halogens with 11 watt CFL and
then 6 watt LEDs and got similar light levels , I would say you are
going to need 3 x 10 watt floods at least
Beam angle is critical in many situations.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m writes:
On 25/07/2014 17:17, John Williamson wrote:

You'd need to look at the light distribution pattern, if it's mounted
centrally, you'd always be working in your own shadow. If it's mounted
over the work surface, you'd possibly be dazzled by the glare, while the
rest if the room would be in shadow.

I've got a 10W unit in my front porch - I bounce the light off the white
painted ceiling area which gives an even and less harsh light without
too much hint of a shadow.

+1

However, I would caution that this range seems to be all over the
place at the moment, and the one I bought had a very low quality
LED - colour rendering is terrible, and efficiency is low.

I used the case and put 4 better quality LEDs in it.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, July 25, 2014 5:58:43 PM UTC+1, Robert wrote:
On 25/07/2014 17:04, ss wrote:

From previous posts I am looking to move from halogen to LED for the
kitchen, Is this idea feasible.
Using an outdoor LED floolight without PIR (say 10w) as a ceiling light
to replace 5 halogens. It would certainly be cheaper than buying LED
bulbs and by removing the bracket could be fitted flush with the ceiling.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Outdoor-se...em1 c43268189

Given that I replaced my 50 watt GU10s halogens with 11 watt CFL and
then 6 watt LEDs and got similar light levels , I would say you are
going to need 3 x 10 watt floods at least

Yes. OTOH if you switch from downlighters to uplighters one 10w should replace them fine.

NT

Beam angle is critical in many situations.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

I am looking to move from halogen to LED for the kitchen, Is this
idea feasible. Using an outdoor LED floolight without PIR (say 10w)
as a ceiling light to replace 5 halogens.

Don't think that'd be enough power (about a 4.5W LED replaces a 50W
halogen) and probably you wouldn't get enough distance from the
floodlight in a kitchen to get very good coverage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, July 25, 2014 5:04:33 PM UTC+1, ss wrote:
It would certainly be cheaper than buying LED
bulbs

My local HomeBargains had these

http://www.homebargains.co.uk/produc...ool-white.aspx

at two-for-a-fiver.

They may not be quite as bright as 50 W halogens but I have used them to replace 50 W halogens in bedside wall lights and they're amply bright enough for that application.

They might not last very long but at that price worth using for a trial run before spending serious money on expensive LEDs.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/07/14 22:52, wrote:
On Friday, July 25, 2014 5:04:33 PM UTC+1, ss wrote:
It would certainly be cheaper than buying LED bulbs

My local HomeBargains had these

http://www.homebargains.co.uk/produc...ool-white.aspx

at two-for-a-fiver.

Do those have insulation plastic covering the front face?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keaE7QTKTYE

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian C wrote:
On 25/07/14 22:52, wrote:
On Friday, July 25, 2014 5:04:33 PM UTC+1, ss wrote:
It would certainly be cheaper than buying LED bulbs

My local HomeBargains had these

http://www.homebargains.co.uk/produc...ool-white.aspx

at two-for-a-fiver.

Do those have insulation plastic covering the front face?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keaE7QTKTYE

Yes, or it may be glass.(Feels like glass round its edges, but feels
like plastic when rubbing its face with a fingernail.)
I've had one in a Lidl clamp-on flexible luminaire replacing its
original halogen lamp for over a year.
The light is comparable, but it now doesn't burn me when I adjust it.
Definitely recommended!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 14:52:56 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Friday, July 25, 2014 5:04:33 PM UTC+1, ss wrote:
It would certainly be cheaper than buying LED
bulbs

My local HomeBargains had these

http://www.homebargains.co.uk/produc...ool-white.aspx

at two-for-a-fiver.

They may not be quite as bright as 50 W halogens but I have used them to replace 50 W halogens in bedside wall lights and they're amply bright enough for that application.

They might not last very long but at that price worth using for a trial run before spending serious money on expensive LEDs.

Owain

Certainly a good price although the RRP looks to be somewhat inflated.
No mention of light output (lumens) or light temperature (K) which is
a shame for comparison with others.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Would this not result in just a pool of light in one place?
I suppose one could use some kind of filter over it to scatter the light,
but one of the good things about lots of likkle lities, is that they do not
all blow at the same time and thus never left in the dark. Also I wonder how
warm such led devices get when enclosed?
I'd also nbe a bit wary of the intensity if you looked up, and the shadows
which would be much like an old fashioned light bulb, maybe not quite so
bad. What about the colour?
Alternatively learn to do everything in the dark and save money!
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"ss" wrote in message
From previous posts I am looking to move from halogen to LED for the
kitchen, Is this idea feasible.
Using an outdoor LED floolight without PIR (say 10w) as a ceiling light to
replace 5 halogens. It would certainly be cheaper than buying LED bulbs
and by removing the bracket could be fitted flush with the ceiling.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Outdoor-se...em1 c43268189

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/07/2014 22:52, wrote:
On Friday, July 25, 2014 5:04:33 PM UTC+1, ss wrote:
It would certainly be cheaper than buying LED bulbs

My local HomeBargains had these

http://www.homebargains.co.uk/produc...ool-white.aspx

at two-for-a-fiver.

They may not be quite as bright as 50 W halogens but I have used them
to replace 50 W halogens in bedside wall lights and they're amply
bright enough for that application.

They might not last very long but at that price worth using for a
trial run before spending serious money on expensive LEDs.

Owain

ITYM while the expensive ones reduce in price.
Like most electronics, they get cheaper.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 17:04:33 +0100, ss wrote:

Using an outdoor LED floolight without PIR (say 10w) as a ceiling light
to replace 5 halogens.

As general illumination probably OK, beam angle is roughly that of
the "reflector". What might be an issue is the rather bright point
source and thus hard shadows. Mutliple lamps would give multiple hard
shadows, outer ones being filled.

What's wrong with the good 'ole 5' flourescent tube? Plenty of light
from a wide source, so even if you are in your own shadow at a work
surface a fair bit of light can get around you filing/softening that
shadow. Under wall unit linear light is better for the work places
though.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 17:37:05 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

However, I would caution that this range seems to be all over the
place at the moment, and the one I bought had a very low quality
LED - colour rendering is terrible, and efficiency is low.

Mine seems OK apart from the bracket screws being steel so where
showing signs of rust within 24hrs of being installed outside. A case
of caveat emptor with these things.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Mine seems OK apart from the bracket screws being steel so where
showing signs of rust within 24hrs of being installed outside. A case
of caveat emptor with these things.

Have you checked the earth wire actually goes to the metal case, rather
than dangling loose inside?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote
ss wrote

Using an outdoor LED floolight without PIR
(say 10w) as a ceiling light to replace 5 halogens.

As general illumination probably OK, beam angle is roughly
that of the "reflector". What might be an issue is the rather
bright point source and thus hard shadows. Mutliple lamps
would give multiple hard shadows, outer ones being filled.

What's wrong with the good 'ole 5' flourescent tube?

Indeed. I still have 3 of those myself in the kitchen.

Plenty of light from a wide source, so even if you are
in your own shadow at a work surface a fair bit of light
can get around you filing/softening that shadow.

I don't find that works that well in practice so I have
one on either side of the U shaped kitchen that has
work surfaces for the 2 verticals of the U.

Under wall unit linear light is better for the work places though.

The parents had what was basically the entire ceiling as a light
with fluoros under a translucent ceiling. Worked very well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 20:16:09 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Mine seems OK apart from the bracket screws being steel so where
showing signs of rust within 24hrs of being installed outside. A

case
of caveat emptor with these things.

Have you checked the earth wire actually goes to the metal case, rather
than dangling loose inside?

B-)

I had seen several reviews mentioning this little problem. So I
checked earth continuity. It was OK I think I took the back off as
well just to make sure it was firm connection.

--
Cheers
Dave.