Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Green Deal closed

Government has closed the green deal home improvement fund with immediate
effect. They claim the money has run out over the last two days.
Applications which were in by yesterday will be honoured.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

They said months ago they were doing this, Every year almost they come up
with another initiative and call it something else. When I got my storage
heaters they were running something called Warm Front, I got three storage
heaters for nowt.
I got half price loft lagging and loads of useless low energy bulbs that i
never used and gave away.
Brian

Email:

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
Government has closed the green deal home improvement fund with immediate
effect. They claim the money has run out over the last two days.
Applications which were in by yesterday will be honoured.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote

Government has closed the green deal home improvement fund with immediate
effect. They claim the money has run out over the last two days.
Applications which were in by yesterday will be honoured.

Would that be the deal where you got stuff to reduce your energy use,
but paid more for power for ever and day?

Some deal that was.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Government has closed the green deal home improvement fund with immediate
effect. They claim the money has run out over the last two days.
Applications which were in by yesterday will be honoured.

We can now look forward to a load of shysters going out of business as
their only income is taken away.

--
Alan
To reply by mail, change '+' to 'plus'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 12:59:04 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

I got three storage heaters for nowt.

....worth every penny. Just about.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jabba wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote

Government has closed the green deal home improvement fund with immediate
effect. They claim the money has run out over the last two days.
Applications which were in by yesterday will be honoured.

Would that be the deal where you got stuff to reduce your energy use,
but paid more for power for ever and day?

Some deal that was.

No, this deal was the once that followed the one you described which was
such a bad deal that the take up was very poor
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 11:10:52 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Government has closed the green deal home improvement fund with
immediate effect.

Ooohhh does that mean I no longer need a Green Deal number and EPC to
not get the RHI on our hybrid Solar Thermal system? If they are
buggering about with these things maybe they will have removed that
restriction?

They claim the money has run out over the last two days.

Eh? How can the money have run out, there has been sod all take up!
And it's a loan paid back by higher electricity bills (tied to the
property) for n years.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 13:52:20 +0100 (BST), Dave Liquorice wrote:

They claim the money has run out over the last two days.

Eh? How can the money have run out, there has been sod all take up!
And it's a loan paid back by higher electricity bills (tied to the
property) for n years.

Wanders off for a dig, comes back re reads body of the OP and not
just the Subject: B-)

Green Deal still exists, ie the assesment/recomendations and the
lecky bill linked loan that has spectacularly failed.

It's the "Green Deal Home Improvement Fund" that has been closed.
That was effectively a grant for home insulation improvement. Still
need to be a recomendation from a Green Deal Report and use a Green
Deal approved installer though.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, July 25, 2014 1:52:20 PM UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 11:10:52 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Government has closed the green deal home improvement fund with

immediate effect.

Ooohhh does that mean I no longer need a Green Deal number and EPC to

not get the RHI on our hybrid Solar Thermal system? If they are

buggering about with these things maybe they will have removed that

restriction?

They claim the money has run out over the last two days.

Eh? How can the money have run out, there has been sod all take up!

And it's a loan paid back by higher electricity bills (tied to the

property) for n years.

--

Cheers

Dave.

For the lazy:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/a...ent-fund-close

For the even lazier:

Due to overwhelming popular demand, the Green Deal Home Improvement Fund is closed for applications with immediate effect.

A surge in applications over the last two days means the allocated budget has now been reached. All applications received prior to the fund closing that satisfy the terms and conditions and meet the eligibility criteria will be honoured at the original rates.

The Green Deal Home Improvement Fund was set up to help households in England and Wales improve the energy efficiency of their homes.

Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Energy & Climate Change, Amber Rudd, said:

"The Green Deal Home Improvement Fund is a world first and in a short space of time it has proved extremely popular.

"We were always clear there was a budget which is why we encouraged people to act quickly.

"As a result, thousands more families will now benefit from Government help to have warmer homes which use less energy."

Earlier this week DECC announced changes to the scheme, caused by the hugely positive response since its launch at the beginning of June.

The Department of Energy and Climate Change will monitor voucher redemption rates and will consider whether to launch a further offer should funds become available.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote

Jabba wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote

Government has closed the green deal home improvement fund with immediate
effect. They claim the money has run out over the last two days.
Applications which were in by yesterday will be honoured.

Would that be the deal where you got stuff to reduce your energy use,
but paid more for power for ever and day?

Some deal that was.

No, this deal was the once that followed the one you described which was
such a bad deal that the take up was very poor

Right, so this one was the 'get you in the red' deal ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Government has closed the green deal home improvement fund with immediate
effect. They claim the money has run out over the last two days.
Applications which were in by yesterday will be honoured.

We can now look forward to a load of shysters going out of business as
their only income is taken away.

With luck that ****er in Swansea will be one of them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote

On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 11:10:52 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Government has closed the green deal home improvement fund with
immediate effect.

Ooohhh does that mean I no longer need a Green Deal number and EPC to
not get the RHI on our hybrid Solar Thermal system? If they are
buggering about with these things maybe they will have removed that
restriction?

They claim the money has run out over the last two days.

Eh? How can the money have run out, there has been sod all take up!
And it's a loan paid back by higher electricity bills (tied to the
property) for n years.

The deal that didn't tell you what you were borrowing or paying back.
Was it being run by a Nigerian ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 11:10:52 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Government has closed the green deal home improvement fund with
immediate effect.

Does that mean an end to those bloody annoying cold calls saying we're
entitled to a new boiler/loft insulation/external insulation et al? If so
three hearty cheers!

--

TOJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/07/2014 13:47, Bob Minchin wrote:
Jabba wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote

Government has closed the green deal home improvement fund with
immediate
effect. They claim the money has run out over the last two days.
Applications which were in by yesterday will be honoured.

Would that be the deal where you got stuff to reduce your energy use,
but paid more for power for ever and day?

Some deal that was.

No, this deal was the once that followed the one you described which was
such a bad deal that the take up was very poor

And you had to be a one eyed, black, paraplegic lesbian to qualify.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 14:51:33 +0000, The Other John wrote:

On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 11:10:52 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Government has closed the green deal home improvement fund with
immediate effect.

Does that mean an end to those bloody annoying cold calls saying we're
entitled to a new boiler/loft insulation/external insulation et al? If
so three hearty cheers!

Especially when you already have a new boiler, loft insulation etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 11:10:52 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

They claim the money has run out over the last two days.

Eh? How can the money have run out, there has been sod all take up!
And it's a loan paid back by higher electricity bills (tied to the
property) for n years.

No this isn't the scheme with a poor value loan that's attached to the
house and funded by higher bills, it's the scheme to repay you some of
the costs you've forked out for improvements - provided it's done by
someone with the right green handshake.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
Jabba wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote

Government has closed the green deal home improvement fund with
immediate
effect. They claim the money has run out over the last two days.
Applications which were in by yesterday will be honoured.

Would that be the deal where you got stuff to reduce your energy use,
but paid more for power for ever and day?

Some deal that was.

No, this deal was the once that followed the one you described which was
such a bad deal that the take up was very poor

No it was the pot of money that they were using to bribe people to sign up
to the useless deal.

Except that the bribe was so good that a few people have being given riches
and, now that it has run out, the rest of us us still stuck with the useless
deal.

What they should have done was to use the money to bring the loan terms down
to something that matches what people can actually get in the real world in
2014, not what they might pay if base rates were 10%

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rudd, said:

"The Green Deal Home Improvement Fund is a world first and in a short
space of time it has proved extremely popular.

Of course giving 100 pounds away on the corner of the street was "popular".
Why did they expect otherwise?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 18:40:23 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Government has closed the green deal home improvement fund with
immediate effect.

Would that be the deal where you got stuff to reduce your energy

use,
but paid more for power for ever and day?

No, this deal was the once that followed the one you described

which
was such a bad deal that the take up was very poor

And the loan/payback by bigger lecky bills attached to the property
is still available,

And you had to be a one eyed, black, paraplegic lesbian to qualify.

And have your ear very close to the ground, I wasn't aware of the
GDHIF, if I had been I'd have been looking at it. I know I dug about
on the web fairly recently looking at similar grant schemes, the one
I found did have restrictions like being a pensioner or on certain
benefits.

Just dug about and found a cached .gov.uk page with a link to the
GDHIF T&C's, no age, benefit or similar restrictions in there that I
can see. No wonder the government has had their hand bitten off! But
surely they know how many properties would be eligiable, what work
they would require and thus a good guesstimate for the required
budget.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Bob Minchin wrote:

this deal was the once that followed the one you described
which was such a bad deal that the take up was very poor

I wasn't aware of the GDHIF, if I had been I'd have been looking at it.

It's been mentioned here e.g. in a recent boiler thread
http://groups.google.com/d/topic/uk.d-i-y/cNPh3cxZbZo/discussion

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 10:30:32 +0100, tim..... wrote:

Of course giving 100 pounds away on the corner of the street was
"popular". Why did they expect otherwise?

Up to £7,500... 75% or about £6,000 which ever is the lower for soild
wall insulation, another £1,000 ish for any two from a list of the
normal insulation things and a few "upgrades". If you had had a GDA
in the last two years up to £100 for that.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/07/2014 11:22, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 18:40:23 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Government has closed the green deal home improvement fund with
immediate effect.

Would that be the deal where you got stuff to reduce your energy

use,
but paid more for power for ever and day?

No, this deal was the once that followed the one you described

which
was such a bad deal that the take up was very poor

And the loan/payback by bigger lecky bills attached to the property
is still available,

If its done correctly you don't pay more.

And you had to be a one eyed, black, paraplegic lesbian to qualify.

And have your ear very close to the ground, I wasn't aware of the
GDHIF, if I had been I'd have been looking at it. I know I dug about
on the web fairly recently looking at similar grant schemes, the one
I found did have restrictions like being a pensioner or on certain
benefits.

Just dug about and found a cached .gov.uk page with a link to the
GDHIF T&C's, no age, benefit or similar restrictions in there that I
can see. No wonder the government has had their hand bitten off! But
surely they know how many properties would be eligiable, what work
they would require and thus a good guesstimate for the required
budget.

This was an additional grant to get people to use the green deal.
You got a few hundred pounds towards the improvement even if you didn't
take the loan part. It replaced previous grants that you could get for
some improvements.

You have always had to use approved installers, its supposed to cut down
on fraud.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/07/2014 10:29, tim..... wrote:

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
Jabba wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote

[...]

The loan terms were that you had the improvement done and the repayments
were added to the electric bill, but, the repayments never exceeded the
savings so your bill stayed the same or fell. After the set period the
payments stopped and you were deemed to have paid it off even if you had
not.

The additional bribe just made it a no brainer, which is why they
suddenly had a rush as people realised what it was.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dennis@home" wrote in message
eb.com...
On 26/07/2014 10:29, tim..... wrote:

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
Jabba wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote

[...]

The loan terms ARE (they are still available)

that you had the improvement done and the repayments were added to the
electric bill, but, the repayments never exceeded the savings

They never exceed the saving made by an average occupier (I presume, of that
type/size of property).

so your bill stayed the same or fell.

They will go up if you are a lower than average user of fuel for that type
of property (if for example, you saved money by only heating the rooms that
you use and under occupied the property).

After the set period the payments stopped and you were deemed to have paid
it off even if you had not.

As the amount paid per month is calculated to fully pay off the loan, and
will always be added each month to the fuel bill it will always be paid off
in full. There is no write off possible here

The additional bribe just made it a no brainer,

agreed

which is why they suddenly had a rush as people realised what it was.

from the subset who noticed it

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"tim....." writes:

[...]

On top of that, it was not possible to pay it off early without
paying an early redemption penalty, which made moving house
very expensive (as no one will buy a house which still has
repayments outstanding). However, government have just recognised
this and new loans can be paid off early without a large penalty,
although this change is not backdated to loans which have already
been taken out.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 16:09:26 +0100, tim..... wrote:

that you had the improvement done and the repayments were added to

the
electric bill, but, the repayments never exceeded the savings

They never exceed the saving made by an average occupier (I presume, of
that type/size of property).

Exactly there was no guarantee that the savings made would be greater
than or equal to the additional loan payback. The loan payments are
based on averages for that property type/size, I'm not sure if they
took into account occupancy.

so your bill stayed the same or fell.

No guarantee that it'll do anything, fall rise or stay the same.

The additional bribe just made it a no brainer,

agreed

which is why they suddenly had a rush as people realised what it

was.

But the GDHIF is *not* the Green Deal Finance package which is still
available (should anyone be daft enough) and is the loan paid back by
a levy on the elctricty bill for the property.

The GDHIF was a grant with very few strings attached as far as I can
make out now. You could still take a GDF package to make up the
shortfall between the garnt and actual cost but you could equally use
your own savings and/or personal loan.

There was a sudden rush as DECC said the take up was very good and
the average GDHIF grant was rather higher than expected (£6,000 ish)
and the available monies were thus running out faster than
anticipated. So those in the know bunged in their applications PDQ
just in case the funds ran out.

from the subset who noticed it

Not in that subset muttermutter...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 13:01:45 +0100, Dennis@home wrote:

This was an additional grant to get people to use the green deal.

But why do I need a Green Deal Assesment? I know were the heat is
going, out with the drafts around the non-double glazed windows and
doors. Soild walls here and there but most have now been lined with
50 mm of celotex. (At our expense), lofts are well insulated.

You got a few hundred pounds towards the improvement even if you didn't
take the loan part.

Offer 1, 75% or cost or £6,000, minimum of 50% external solid walls
insulated.

Offer 2, £1,000 ish for any two from a reasonable list of things.

Now as the average claim is approx £6,000 it looks to me as if DECC
have *seriously* under estimated how many properties have solid
walls. Round here I'd say 75% or more have solid walls.

It replaced previous grants that you could get for some improvements.

If you were eligable, ie pensioner on certain benefits.

You have always had to use approved installers, its supposed to cut down
on fraud.

Fortunately you can choose your installer. Unlike previous schemes
were you got the work done via the scheme by which ever cowboy as
available that week. Neighbours had CH installed under the Warm Front
scheme, installers came from 100 miles away, managed to drill an
existing pipe ruining sofa and carpet, leading to big argument about
who was going to pay/insurance etc, all pipe work surface run...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/07/2014 18:33, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Fortunately you can choose your installer. Unlike previous schemes
were you got the work done via the scheme by which ever cowboy as
available that week. Neighbours had CH installed under the Warm Front
scheme, installers came from 100 miles away, managed to drill an
existing pipe ruining sofa and carpet, leading to big argument about
who was going to pay/insurance etc, all pipe work surface run...

My father had CH by warm front.

They took the floor boards up and ran the pipes under the floor.
All the drops were in pipe trunking.

Well done IMO.

Certainly not cowboys.

But as you say there are some cr@p plumbers out there hiding amongst the
good ones.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 13:01:45 +0100, Dennis@home wrote:

This was an additional grant to get people to use the green deal.

But why do I need a Green Deal Assesment? I know were the heat is
going, out with the drafts around the non-double glazed windows and
doors. Soild walls here and there but most have now been lined with
50 mm of celotex. (At our expense), lofts are well insulated.

Because you don't know (without doing a lot of research) how much
eliminating each of those things will save you

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 13:01:45 +0100, Dennis@home wrote:

This was an additional grant to get people to use the green deal.

But why do I need a Green Deal Assesment?

I don't think you *did* need one, just that you could have claimed an
extra £100 back if you had one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 11:59:16 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:

This was an additional grant to get people to use the green deal.

But why do I need a Green Deal Assesment?

I don't think you *did* need one, just that you could have claimed an
extra £100 back if you had one.

No, you need a GDA less than 2 years old to "prove" that the works
you are claiming for are required.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 11:55:23 +0100, tim..... wrote:

But why do I need a Green Deal Assesment? I know were the heat is
going, out with the drafts around the non-double glazed windows

and
doors. Soild walls here and there but most have now been lined

with
50 mm of celotex. (At our expense), lofts are well insulated.

Because you don't know (without doing a lot of research) how much
eliminating each of those things will save you

One could get a reasonable guesstimate by playing with the various
radiator sizing heatloss programs.

I'm not overly convinced that the average Green Deal Assessor really
understands what they are supposed to be doing. They just plug the
property details into the software on their laptop/tablet and press
"print". There might be some out there that do understand and can
cope with buildings of mixed and/or non-standard construction but
when you can become a "qualified" assessor by paying a few hundred
quid on a course lasting just a few days. Then charge £150 + per
assesment and do maybe 4/day... A proper assessment should take at
least half a day if not the best part of a whole day IMHO for a
building that isn't a recent "Barret Box".

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:

why do I need a Green Deal Assesment?

I don't think you *did* need one, just that you could have claimed an
extra £100 back if you had one.

No, you need a GDA less than 2 years old to "prove" that the works
you are claiming for are required.

OK, I remembered reading you could claim the £100, so thought the GDA
was optional - actually it is optional because you can do the work on
the basis of a GDA *or* an EPC (either of which needed to be 2 years old)