Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boiler & green deal etc

Friend has finally decided to concede a little to the 20th century and get gas CH. He's never had heating as far as I can tell. There's also no CWI in the cavities, but he does have good loft insulation.

Is this a situation where he can gain anything from the govt initiatives on offer? He has a knackered boiler on the scrap pile in the shed if that's any help.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 Jul 2014 15:18:21 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Is this a situation where he can gain anything from the govt
initiatives on offer? He has a knackered boiler on the scrap pile

in
the shed if that's any help.

Not a help at all, any new boiler will have to be up to decent modern
spec and be installed by an approved installer.

At the moment, there's a big problem with green deal survey
fraud - you pay up front, and no survey happenes. Beware of this.

Yep, email neighbourhood alerts has something about this in the week.
Cold callers, phone, etc and not just Green Deal but EPC's as well.

I think green deal has to be able to show savings to be usable.

Remember the Green Deal is a loan, you pay it back with increased
electricty bills. Watch the Interest rate, a bank loan may well be
cheaper! In theory the savings made offset the bigger bills but TBH
it's a bit of a gamble. If the person doing the GD survey knows his
stuff what they come up with should be fine. But I have sneaky
feeling that a significant number of these "surveyors" just tick the
approximate box in the app on their tablet and follow what it says
with no real understanding of what they are doing or if the results
are as equal in garbage as the data input.

Also the Green Deal loan is attached to the property so if you sell,
the buyer has on take on the bigger power bills.

What heating method does friend currently use? I don't know if it would
be usable in the case where there is no current heating, and hence no
saving to be made by adding heating to a home.

Presumably there is some heating, just not central heating. So open
fires, electric heaters, etc. Getting the cavities insulated would be
first on my list, followed by double glazing to cut drafts, but if
open fires are being used pay attention to ventilation.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT:

Friend has finally decided to concede a little to the 20th century and get gas CH. He's never had heating as far as I can tell. There's also no CWI in the cavities, but he does have good loft insulation.

Is this a situation where he can gain anything from the govt initiatives on offer? He has a knackered boiler on the scrap pile in the shed if that's any help.

Andrew Gabriel:

At the moment, there's a big problem with green deal survey
fraud - you pay up front, and no survey happenes. Beware of this.

I think green deal has to be able to show savings to be usable.
What heating method does friend currently use?
I don't know if it would be usable in the case where there is
no current heating, and hence no saving to be made by adding
heating to a home.

There's no heating, but plugin heaters could be arranged

tim:

surely if there is "no" heating the process will assume hearting by standing
electric heaters.
it won't assume that the occupants sit in the cold and put on extra woollies

tim

Dave Liquorice

Is this a situation where he can gain anything from the govt
initiatives on offer? He has a knackered boiler on the scrap pile in
the shed if that's any help.

Not a help at all, any new boiler will have to be up to decent modern
spec and be installed by an approved installer.

The point is that if it were in the right place it might or might not result in qualifying for something. If so its not hard to make a flue hole & screw it to the wall. And a cable.

What heating method does friend currently use? I don't know if it would
be usable in the case where there is no current heating, and hence no
saving to be made by adding heating to a home.

Presumably there is some heating, just not central heating. So open
fires, electric heaters, etc.

no heating, as said.

Getting the cavities insulated would be
first on my list,

CWI is a no brainer, ISTR calculating something like 30% ROI for another house. The question is what deals are available?

followed by double glazing to cut drafts, but if

no

open fires are being used pay attention to ventilation.

bert

Depends on his financial circumstances. Check out BGAS website for
social fund or whatever it is called for those on benefits.
green deal is just a (very poor) loan deal.

he's not on benefits.

I've now suggested he applies for grant paid CWI. But I guess green deal is the only offer going for a boiler.

thanks

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
"Dave Liquorice" writes:
Also the Green Deal loan is attached to the property so if you sell,
the buyer has on take on the bigger power bills.

What seems much more likely is that such properties will be unsalable,
and the seller will have to pay off the loan to sell the property,
possibly using some part of the sale value of the home at time of sale.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2014 19:17, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Remember the Green Deal is a loan, you pay it back with increased
electricty bills. Watch the Interest rate, a bank loan may well be
cheaper! In theory the savings made offset the bigger bills but TBH
it's a bit of a gamble. If the person doing the GD survey knows his
stuff what they come up with should be fine. But I have sneaky
feeling that a significant number of these "surveyors" just tick the
approximate box in the app on their tablet and follow what it says
with no real understanding of what they are doing or if the results
are as equal in garbage as the data input.

Also the Green Deal loan is attached to the property so if you sell,
the buyer has on take on the bigger power bills.

If they get it wrong, or it turns out that it is more expensive than the
alternatives, then just contact one of the no win no fee firm of
solicitors for a financial services mis-selling claim.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

writes:
[...]

People without central heating tend to heat just one room, and to
a much lower level than central heating does. Even if the fuel is
more expensive and efficiency is much lower, it's still likely to
be cheaper than using central heating to heat the whole house.

The green deal calculation doesn't take that into account.

It doesn't look at actual usage, it assume everyone is an average user of
that type of heating (presumably scaled by property size, but even that
isn't certain)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan" wrote in message
[...]

good luck with that :-(

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
Also the Green Deal loan is attached to the property so if you sell,
the buyer has on take on the bigger power bills.

You can now pay it off early without penalty:
http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/20...they-listened/

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan writes:
[...]

Refunds can only be given on the signature of the Minister of State for
Energy. You can't sue as a financial services mis-selling claim - they
have their arses covered by law. There's no way the government would
leave itself liable to something like that.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/14 17:16, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
There's no way the government would
leave itself liable to something like that.

ROFLMAO!