Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ideas for replacement axles on sun lounger

I've lost a pair of plastic/nylon pins/lugs that serve as axles for a
sun lounger. Another sun lounger has these pins so I know what they look
like (see the link below).

https://www.anonimg.com/img/722f8dd1...08a19b0b22.jpg

I suspect it'll be impossible to source replacements so I would like to
make a couple instead. I have no experience of doing this and wondered
what would be the best way to do this (I was thinking of making a mould
but am unsure what resin to use). I've looked at hand mouldable plastic
but I don't think it ever becomes a pourable liquid. Also this plastic
is relatively pricey at £18 for 500g on Amazon
(http://tinyurl.com/njnq3ft ).

Any better suggestions, please ?

Thanks Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, July 23, 2014 12:12:16 PM UTC+1, Paul G wrote:
I've lost a pair of plastic/nylon pins/lugs that serve as axles for a
sun lounger. Another sun lounger has these pins so I know what they look
like (see the link below).
https://www.anonimg.com/img/722f8dd1...08a19b0b22.jpg
I suspect it'll be impossible to source replacements so I would like to
make a couple instead. I have no experience of doing this and wondered
what would be the best way to do this (I was thinking of making a mould
but am unsure what resin to use). I've looked at hand mouldable plastic
but I don't think it ever becomes a pourable liquid. Also this plastic
is relatively pricey at �18 for 500g on Amazon
(http://tinyurl.com/njnq3ft ).
Any better suggestions, please ?
Thanks Paul

I'd be tempted to use metal rod, perhaps a bolt with the thread sanded down, and shape the small end. You can stick it in a drill to sand it.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul G wrote:
I've lost a pair of plastic/nylon pins/lugs that serve as axles for a
sun lounger. Another sun lounger has these pins so I know what they look
like (see the link below).

https://www.anonimg.com/img/722f8dd1...08a19b0b22.jpg

I suspect it'll be impossible to source replacements so I would like to
make a couple instead. I have no experience of doing this and wondered
what would be the best way to do this (I was thinking of making a mould
but am unsure what resin to use). I've looked at hand mouldable plastic
but I don't think it ever becomes a pourable liquid. Also this plastic
is relatively pricey at £18 for 500g on Amazon
(http://tinyurl.com/njnq3ft ).

Any better suggestions, please ?

I see that as a solid gold opportunity. Let's find out whether 3D
printers are any use.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote in news:c3k2tkF8nr3U1
@mid.individual.net:

Paul G wrote:
I've lost a pair of plastic/nylon pins/lugs that serve as axles for a
sun lounger. Another sun lounger has these pins so I know what they look
like (see the link below).

https://www.anonimg.com/img/722f8dd1...08a19b0b22.jpg

I suspect it'll be impossible to source replacements so I would like to
make a couple instead. I have no experience of doing this and wondered
what would be the best way to do this (I was thinking of making a mould
but am unsure what resin to use). I've looked at hand mouldable plastic
but I don't think it ever becomes a pourable liquid. Also this plastic
is relatively pricey at £18 for 500g on Amazon
(http://tinyurl.com/njnq3ft ).

Any better suggestions, please ?

I see that as a solid gold opportunity. Let's find out whether 3D
printers are any use.

Ignore the taper and just use a bolt or studding with some locknuts - or
Loctite..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul G wrote:

[...]

Yes, but fill or grind off the thread, or your wheels will have very short lives.

NT