Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plastic to metal adhesive

I need to stick a 2M length of plastic coated MDF scotia to an aluminium
step edge. Anyone care to recommend an adhesive that's going to last.
The ones I have seem to need porous surfaces...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:
I need to stick a 2M length of plastic coated MDF scotia to an aluminium
step edge. Anyone care to recommend an adhesive that's going to last.
The ones I have seem to need porous surfaces...

Epoxy should work, Abrade or score each surface to help it key.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
F news@nowhere wrote:
I need to stick a 2M length of plastic coated MDF scotia to an aluminium
step edge. Anyone care to recommend an adhesive that's going to last.
The ones I have seem to need porous surfaces...

In the past I've used Evostick Impact, but nowadays Gorrila Glue is my
favourite.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:
In article ,
F news@nowhere wrote:
I need to stick a 2M length of plastic coated MDF scotia to an aluminium
step edge. Anyone care to recommend an adhesive that's going to last.
The ones I have seem to need porous surfaces...

In the past I've used Evostick Impact, but nowadays Gorrila Glue is my
favourite.

I've not used GG but I thought it needed moisture from one or other
surface in order to cure?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Atmosphere?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, July 12, 2014 9:52:33 PM UTC+1, JimK wrote:
Atmosphere?

Jim K

I would back up the use of the PU glues for this. I've recently used when building a control box for my wood turning lathe and attached Al to Al, Al to wood and plastic to Al.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ah but was that gorilla glue?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/14 00:25, JimK wrote:
Ah but was that gorilla glue?

^is

Basically a PU adhesive Jim.

I used some for the first time last week (GG, not generic PU).

It's weird having to damp the wood with a spray first, but it works,
very well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/2014 09:18, Tim Watts wrote:
On 13/07/14 00:25, JimK wrote:
Ah but was that gorilla glue?

^is

Basically a PU adhesive Jim.

I used some for the first time last week (GG, not generic PU).

It's weird having to damp the wood with a spray first, but it works,
very well.

I use UHU impact adhesive from Poundland by default. Haven't come across
anything it doesn't stick to yet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ah well, gg may be a pu Tim but it's a foaming one and IMLE not hugely strong used on dissimilar materials especially thin sections a la OP.

Other PUs like sikaflex ont'other hand are extremely adhesive and would be more my choice for the OP.

Jim K

Plastic adhesive recommendation SBH[_4_] Home Repair 8 March 25th 11 04:53 AM
adhesive for plastic drainpie? pete UK diy 5 January 9th 11 11:36 AM
cracked plastic sledges - one piece high gloss plastic - any adhesive options? Ala UK diy 0 December 24th 10 02:07 AM
Plastic to Plastic Adhesive mo UK diy 8 November 25th 08 10:23 PM
Plastic to Metal adhesive - U.V. Proof - Harsh Environment Tolerance ? . UK diy 16 March 7th 06 12:42 PM