Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mo Mo is offline

Default Plastic to Plastic Adhesive

My car (Fiesta) - drivers mirror is the type that is on a spring so if you
drive into something it springs backwards.

The owner before me (!) hit something a bit harder than the spring could
handle and so now its broken. Basically it kidn of hooked on in 2 places,
the stronger of the hooks is broken but the mirror still holds into place
(and the electric controls work)

Now my mechanic suggested either replacing (way too expensive) or sticking
it into place with a screw (not ideal)

The first time I had the problem the mirror just fell off but was held
dangling in place by a wire. I used some superglue which held it in place
for a good few months

It came off again today, so I am thinking of using soem superstrong glue
that you apply with those guns

Idea is if I squirt enough inbetween the old fixings the glue will get
strong enough to hold them in place. Its a bot hard to describe but if I can
get enough glue in there (superglue is too liquidy) then when it sets it
will actually wrap around the old fixing and hold everythign in place

Anyway, the long and short of it is, which types/brands of glue are the best
to use for plastic to plastic?

I dont really care if it damages the plastic (as superglue does) because its
all internal. But I wonder what is the difference between solvent and non
solvent in this scenario?

something from he
http://www.screwfix.com/cats/A336151...s/Solvent-Free

I like the gun idea because i can then just squit in lots, which is hard to
do with superglue.

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 21:02:28 +0000, mo wrote:

My car (Fiesta) - drivers mirror is the type that is on a spring so if
you drive into something it springs backwards.

The owner before me (!) hit something a bit harder than the spring could
handle and so now its broken. Basically it kidn of hooked on in 2
places, the stronger of the hooks is broken but the mirror still holds
into place (and the electric controls work)

Now my mechanic suggested either replacing (way too expensive) or
sticking it into place with a screw (not ideal)

Way too expensive to replace? Are you sure?

http://search.ebay.com/260303692799

(If that's the wrong model Fiesta, there are loads more on there too...)

Why spend £5-£10 on a bodge when £35 and ten minutes with a screwdriver
will fix it for good?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PCPaul wrote:
On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 21:02:28 +0000, mo wrote:

My car (Fiesta) - drivers mirror is the type that is on a spring so if
you drive into something it springs backwards.

The owner before me (!) hit something a bit harder than the spring could
handle and so now its broken. Basically it kidn of hooked on in 2
places, the stronger of the hooks is broken but the mirror still holds
into place (and the electric controls work)

Now my mechanic suggested either replacing (way too expensive) or
sticking it into place with a screw (not ideal)

Way too expensive to replace? Are you sure?

http://search.ebay.com/260303692799

(If that's the wrong model Fiesta, there are loads more on there too...)

Why spend £5-£10 on a bodge when £35 and ten minutes with a screwdriver
will fix it for good?

I like the way its described in good condition, what's poor like???

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PCPaul" wrote in message
om...
On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 21:02:28 +0000, mo wrote:

My car (Fiesta) - drivers mirror is the type that is on a spring so if
you drive into something it springs backwards.

The owner before me (!) hit something a bit harder than the spring could
handle and so now its broken. Basically it kidn of hooked on in 2
places, the stronger of the hooks is broken but the mirror still holds
into place (and the electric controls work)

Now my mechanic suggested either replacing (way too expensive) or
sticking it into place with a screw (not ideal)

Way too expensive to replace? Are you sure?

http://search.ebay.com/260303692799

(If that's the wrong model Fiesta, there are loads more on there too...)

Why spend £5-£10 on a bodge when £35 and ten minutes with a screwdriver
will fix it for good?

..
Wish it had been 10 minutes with a screwdriver when I replaced a wing
mirror!
Had to take the door panel off. This requires taking the window winder
off.
Taking the window winder off means you have slip a thin piece of rag behind
the
back of it and then yank it side to side for a couple of lifetimes to
release a spring clip.
Nasty **** of a job!

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 23:20:26 -0000, "Arthur53"
wrote:

. com...

.
Wish it had been 10 minutes with a screwdriver when I replaced a wing
mirror!
Had to take the door panel off. This requires taking the window winder
off.
Taking the window winder off means you have slip a thin piece of rag behind
the
back of it and then yank it side to side for a couple of lifetimes to
release a spring clip.

I remember doing that several times on my cars over the years . Just
push the panel back, slip a screwdriver up and wheech the u shaped
spring off .
Anyway I think modern cars are easier to get door mirrors off .I'm
sure that on my Mondeo the door mirror has it's own interior panel
well away from the main door panel so it's quite easy to
remove/replace.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mo wrote:

Anyway, the long and short of it is, which types/brands of glue are the best
to use for plastic to plastic?

And the short answer is "it depends". It depends on what sort of plastic
it is. IIRC Ford liek to use ABS plastic for wing mirrors so you need to
find a glue suitable for ABS.

Possible one of these two glues will work:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=46010
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=46013

But I agree with Paul, buy a new wing mirror and do it properly. You'll
never get a glued mirror to look right, especially since you've already
had one ballsed up attempt at doing it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 23:20:26 +0000, Arthur53 wrote:

Taking the window winder off means you have slip a thin piece of rag
behind the
back of it and then yank it side to side for a couple of lifetimes to
release a spring clip.

Nasty **** of a job!

That's not a spring clip. The technical name for it is a pingfukit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 21:26:10 +0000, Kevin wrote:

PCPaul wrote:

Way too expensive to replace? Are you sure?

http://search.ebay.com/260303692799

(If that's the wrong model Fiesta, there are loads more on there
too...)

Why spend £5-£10 on a bodge when £35 and ten minutes with a screwdriver
will fix it for good?

I like the way its described in good condition, what's poor like???

Well, see, with 'poor condition' you need some sort of plastic-to-plastic
adhesive... ;-)

Hard to tell if that's mud or scratches, you'd be surprised how little
effort many breakers go to before taking pictures for the web.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

aka Ping****wherdefukdidthatgo