Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plastic adhesive recommendation

Anyone have a suggestion for a good plastic glue/adhesive? I need it to be
very strong.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SBH" wrote in
:

Anyone have a suggestion for a good plastic glue/adhesive? I need it
to be very strong.

What kind of "plastic"?

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tegger" wrote in message
"SBH" wrote in
:

Anyone have a suggestion for a good plastic glue/adhesive? I need it
to be very strong.

What kind of "plastic"?

I knew this question would arise.

I don't know. I would like a general adhesive to work with many types of
plastics and Plexiglas as I do different repairs and mending on many
household furniture and equipment. I try to fix things before I replace
them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

SBH wrote:

Anyone have a suggestion for a good plastic glue/adhesive? I need it to be
very strong.

As you know, there's no such thing as one glue that works well on most
plastics, and super glue usually isn't so super for them, except maybe
Bakelite and polyester.

Plastics like styrene, ABS, PVC, CPVC, acrylic (plexiglass/Lucite),
and maybe even polycarbonate can be dissolved together with a solvent,
like acetone or lacquer thinner, but you really should use something
made especially for the particular plastic, especially acrylic and
CPVC (CPVC glue can be used on PVC, ABS, and styrene).

Plastics not affected by acetone or lacquer thinner, like nylon,
delrin, polypropylene, and polyethylene usually have to be melted
together with a soldering iron or wood burning iron (the Teflon tip
helps), but hard plastics, like Bakelite and polyester, can usually be
super glued or epoxied well. I don't know about 2-part acrylic glue
(not related to acrylic solvent), except that you don't want to stock
up on it because it spoils in just a few months. You may want to
check the websites of companies like Tech Bond, Tap Plastics, and N-
bond.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/19/2011 9:40 PM, larry moe 'n curly wrote:

SBH wrote:

[...]

In short, for stuff around the house, it is seldom worth screwing with,
unless you count your time at zero value. Unless it is a clean break and
the parts mate up snugly, the repaired part won't be the same shape as
it used to be. I'll glue hard plastics, or try to, but for the soft or
waxy ones (like HDPE) I'll try a mechanical patch before I try glue, or
just replace the item.

IMHO, of course. I completely understand the tinkerer's urge to fix the
unfixable and save a buck. But I only have so many years left at this
point, so I try to choose my battles.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/19/2011 6:25 PM, SBH wrote:
Anyone have a suggestion for a good plastic glue/adhesive? I need it to be
very strong.

Thanks

Try this site:

http://www.thistothat.com/

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"SBH" wrote
What kind of "plastic"?

I knew this question would arise.

I don't know. I would like a general adhesive to work with many types of
plastics and Plexiglas as I do different repairs and mending on many
household furniture and equipment. I try to fix things before I replace
them.

If you don't know, you are taking a crap shoot as different plastics need
different adhesives. Some, like polyethylene based plastics will not stick
with any adhesive and must be heat welded. Styrene can be solvent welded
with most any ketone based adhesive. .

Posted to alt.home.repair

SBH wrote:

[...]

The last time I met someone with your attitude, he was unemployed and,
according to himself, very important.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/19/2011 6:25 PM, SBH wrote:
Anyone have a suggestion for a good plastic glue/adhesive? I need it to be
very strong.

Thanks

Try this site:

http://www.thistothat.com/

TDD

that site helps a little bit on the adhesive recommendation for my
project. 3M 80, eh?

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

adhesive for plastic drainpie? pete UK diy 5 January 9th 11 11:36 AM
cracked plastic sledges - one piece high gloss plastic - any adhesive options? Ala UK diy 0 December 24th 10 02:07 AM
Plastic to Plastic Adhesive mo UK diy 8 November 25th 08 10:23 PM
Adhesive Recommendation Mike Dobony Home Repair 7 April 1st 08 03:24 AM
Structural Adhesive Recommendation ? Robert11 Home Repair 6 February 21st 05 05:47 PM