Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 2gang socket with USB?

I'm considering replacing the bedside sockets with something like this-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Connekt-Gear-Mains-Double-Socket-White/dp/B00KO1KDN4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=09G9ZDDTKSPGZVM QYJR8

Any opinions on this one? Or suggestions for something better?
We have tablets and smartphones, so need something with decent output.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/14 01:22, S Viemeister wrote:
I'm considering replacing the bedside sockets with something like this-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Connekt-Gear-Mains-Double-Socket-White/dp/B00KO1KDN4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=09G9ZDDTKSPGZVM QYJR8

Any opinions on this one? Or suggestions for something better?
We have tablets and smartphones, so need something with decent output.

Don't bother.

I've seen USB chargers (for cars, cigarette socket) going up to 3A - and
every 2 years the adapter I last had is no longer capable of charging my
new phone at full speed.

Also, I'm not keen on having a charger circuit permanently powered as it
would be in these sockets.

A 13A socket has been standard since 1947. USB charging is a constantly
moving goalpost.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"S Viemeister" wrote in message ...

I'm considering replacing the bedside sockets with something like this-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Connekt-Gear-Mains-Double-Socket-White/dp/B00KO1KDN4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=09G9ZDDTKSPGZVM QYJR8

Any opinions on this one? Or suggestions for something better?
We have tablets and smartphones, so need something with decent output.

The blurb says it 'trips off' if the current exceeds 2 amps - but how is it
reset? Does the ring main need powering down?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister wrote:

Any opinions on this one? Or suggestions for something better?
We have tablets and smartphones, so need something with decent output.

Expensive gimmick. One of these solutions-looking-for-a-problem.

Can't be moved about. Permanently on. Can't be repaired when it fails
(which it will, see point 2.)

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/14 09:01, Scott M wrote:
S Viemeister wrote:

Any opinions on this one? Or suggestions for something better?
We have tablets and smartphones, so need something with decent output.

Expensive gimmick. One of these solutions-looking-for-a-problem.

Can't be moved about. Permanently on. Can't be repaired when it fails
(which it will, see point 2.)

It would make more sense for the IET plus the BS plus EU to come up with
a dual standard 3 pin DC socket - 5-0-??

Where the ?? is a voltage that's high enough for laptops and close
enough to the typical that an inline cable DC-DC converter could tweak
the voltage without much fuss.

Then wire a set of these around the house with a decent and efficient
PSU mounted nicely on a wall somewhere.

Fuses in the socket for both rails.

Then we'd have a clean long lived analogue solution to doing away with
wall warts.

USB stuff would just have a lead - or a small plugtop adapter like now,
but with no active components.

Everything else would have a source of power that needed minimal conversion.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2014 09:01, Scott M wrote:
S Viemeister wrote:

Any opinions on this one? Or suggestions for something better?
We have tablets and smartphones, so need something with decent output.

Expensive gimmick. One of these solutions-looking-for-a-problem.

Can't be moved about. Permanently on. Can't be repaired when it fails
(which it will, see point 2.)

While I'd agree it's overpriced, it'd be the sort of thing I'd use a
fair bit, as I tend to charge USB-thingies from the same socket in the
kitchen. Admittedly it'd only serve to tidy things up and liberate a
socket, but hey.

Everything fails, more or less. What makes you think these will fail
especially quickly?

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:

Everything fails, more or less. What makes you think these will fail
especially quickly?

They're enclosed on 5 sides, so will tend to run hotter, they might have
chosen smaller components to allow them to fit into the faceplate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2014 09:50, Andy Burns wrote:
RJH wrote:

Everything fails, more or less. What makes you think these will fail
especially quickly?

They're enclosed on 5 sides, so will tend to run hotter, they might have
chosen smaller components to allow them to fit into the faceplate.

'Might'. OK.

I'd say that some USB transformers are pretty compact - mine's the size
and shape of a slim 13A plug and left plugged in all the time. Doesn't
get noticeably warm when not in use, but does when charging - especially
something quite hungry like an ipad. Think it's about 4 years old now.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:

Everything fails, more or less. What makes you think these will fail
especially quickly?

They're enclosed on 5 sides, so will tend to run hotter, they might have
chosen smaller components to allow them to fit into the faceplate.

'Might'. OK.

"Will" for sure.

There's not much room left in a 13A socket assembly and you cannot do
the decent thing and require a 47mm (thanks Adam, not 45mm) backbox like
you would for a shaver socket.

And in 5 years it probably won't charge your new pphone.

In 10 year it will probably be totally obsolete.

I'd say that some USB transformers are pretty compact - mine's the size
and shape of a slim 13A plug and left plugged in all the time. Doesn't
get noticeably warm when not in use, but does when charging - especially
something quite hungry like an ipad. Think it's about 4 years old now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-07-10, Tim Watts wrote:

On 10/07/14 01:22, S Viemeister wrote:
I'm considering replacing the bedside sockets with something like this-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Connekt-Gear-Mains-Double-Socket-White/dp/B00KO1KDN4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=09G9ZDDTKSPGZVM QYJR8

Any opinions on this one? Or suggestions for something better?
We have tablets and smartphones, so need something with decent output.

Don't bother.

I've seen USB chargers (for cars, cigarette socket) going up to 3A - and
every 2 years the adapter I last had is no longer capable of charging my
new phone at full speed.

Also, I'm not keen on having a charger circuit permanently powered as it
would be in these sockets.

A 13A socket has been standard since 1947. USB charging is a constantly
moving goalpost.

I agree. I've got a 4-way USB charger --- you provide your own USB
cables so you can mix & match the various things (the great thing
about standards...).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0073JB4QU/

The only problem with it is that the USB cables come down from it, so
it can be very hard to use in hotel rooms where the sockets are too
close to the tabletops. It would be better if the USB ports were
opposite the mains prongs.

Oh, I see they *now* make a version with a 1.5 m extension lead.
Nuts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 09 Jul 2014 20:22:24 -0400, S Viemeister
wrote:

I'm considering replacing the bedside sockets with something like this-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Connekt-Gear-Mains-Double-Socket-White/dp/B00KO1KDN4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=09G9ZDDTKSPGZVM QYJR8

Any opinions on this one? Or suggestions for something better?
We have tablets and smartphones, so need something with decent output.

I installed one (same make) a couple of weeks ago. Very satisfactory
so far, and much tidier.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2014 01:22, S Viemeister wrote:
I'm considering replacing the bedside sockets with something like this-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Connekt-Gear-Mains-Double-Socket-White/dp/B00KO1KDN4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=09G9ZDDTKSPGZVM QYJR8

Any opinions on this one? Or suggestions for something better?
We have tablets and smartphones, so need something with decent output.

I have one (not this model) by the bed and another to go in the kitchen
when I get round to it. I find it very convenient.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Funk wrote:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0073JB4QU/

They make a version with 4.2A instead of 2.5A and it's cheaper.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/10/2014 6:49 AM, Andy Burns wrote:
Adam Funk wrote:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0073JB4QU/

They make a version with 4.2A instead of 2.5A and it's cheaper.

Yes - I have a similar product for use at my desk. It works well in both
the UK and US.
I just wanted a tidier alternative for the bedrooms.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I'm considering replacing the bedside sockets with something like this-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Connekt-Gear-Mains-Double-Socket-White/dp/B00KO1KDN4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=09G9ZDDTKSPGZVM QYJR8

Any opinions on this one? Or suggestions for something better?
We have tablets and smartphones, so need something with decent output.

This subject has already been 'done to death' a several months ago.

You'll see plenty of replies suggesting why it's not a particularly
clever idea for a whole host of perfectly valid reasons (along with a
smattering of pro postings with equally valid reasons :-).

By all means take note of the 'advice' but, in the end, it's entirely
down to your conscience as to whether 'convenience' outweighs both the
slightly elevated fire risk and annual electricity bill (and 'fashion
sense' - though not a problem if it's going to be restricted to
bedroom sockets only :-).
--
J B Good

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-07-10, Andy Burns wrote:

Adam Funk wrote:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0073JB4QU/

They make a version with 4.2A instead of 2.5A and it's cheaper.

Yes, it's been added since I bought the 2.5 A one.
:-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you are thinking of getting a mains socket with builtin charger worth looking at http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org...ocket-outlets/ a lot of them leave a lot to be desired safety wise

Martin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2014 01:22, S Viemeister wrote:
I'm considering replacing the bedside sockets with something like this-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Connekt-Gear-Mains-Double-Socket-White/dp/B00KO1KDN4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=09G9ZDDTKSPGZVM QYJR8

Any opinions on this one? Or suggestions for something better?
We have tablets and smartphones, so need something with decent output.

The spec is rubbish. Look at the Crabtree alternatives

--
Peter Crosland

Reply address is valid
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/10/2014 4:15 PM, Martin Warby wrote:
If you are thinking of getting a mains socket with builtin charger worth looking at http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org...ocket-outlets/ a lot of them leave a lot to be desired safety wise

Martin

Thanks, I'll read through that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/14 22:45, S Viemeister wrote:
On 7/10/2014 5:33 PM, Peter Crosland wrote:
On 10/07/2014 01:22, S Viemeister wrote:
I'm considering replacing the bedside sockets with something like this-
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Connekt-Gear-Mains-Double-Socket-White/dp/B00KO1KDN4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=09G9ZDDTKSPGZVM QYJR8

Any opinions on this one? Or suggestions for something better?
We have tablets and smartphones, so need something with decent output.

The spec is rubbish. Look at the Crabtree alternatives

Thanks.

+1

Crabtree is generally a decent make.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:

Everything fails, more or less. What makes you think these will fail
especially quickly?

They're enclosed on 5 sides, so will tend to run hotter, they might have
chosen smaller components to allow them to fit into the faceplate.

'Might'. OK.

I'd say that some USB transformers are pretty compact - mine's the size
and shape of a slim 13A plug and left plugged in all the time.

As a side note, I read somewhere that there's been an increase in house
fires down to all these continuously plugged in device chargers. I'd
forgotten that before but that would be my number 1 point now against
that socket.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2014 21:15, Martin Warby wrote:
If you are thinking of getting a mains socket with builtin charger worth looking at http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org...ocket-outlets/ a lot of them leave a lot to be desired safety wise

Martin

Interesting - and pretty damning. The samples list doesn't include
sample 9, though - the only one with a decentish review!

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:

Everything fails, more or less. What makes you think these will fail
especially quickly?

They're enclosed on 5 sides, so will tend to run hotter, they might have
chosen smaller components to allow them to fit into the faceplate.

'Might'. OK.

I'd say that some USB transformers are pretty compact - mine's the
size and shape of a slim 13A plug and left plugged in all the time.

As a side note, I read somewhere that there's been an increase in house
fires down to all these continuously plugged in device chargers. I'd
forgotten that before but that would be my number 1 point now against
that socket.

I'd like to see the source of that data. I'd have guessed fires were the
result of poorly designed and manufactured equipment used outside their
design brief.

And even then, it'd take quite a combination of circumstances to cause a
house fire. And I'd have thought these would be reduced considerably
with a device largely enclosed within a wall. A metal back box wouldn't
do any harm if you're worried?

Does this little lot: complies with "BS1363, EN60950, EMC, EMI, FCC, CB"
count for anything (Toolstation's 13A/USB socket)?

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/14 09:00, RJH wrote:
Does this little lot: complies with "BS1363, EN60950, EMC, EMI, FCC, CB"
count for anything (Toolstation's 13A/USB socket)?

Only if you can get a copy of the actual certs! Otherwise anyone can
claim anything...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 Jul 2014 09:05:19 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

On 11/07/14 09:00, RJH wrote:
Does this little lot: complies with "BS1363, EN60950, EMC, EMI, FCC, CB"
count for anything (Toolstation's 13A/USB socket)?

Only if you can get a copy of the actual certs! Otherwise anyone can
claim anything...

As is the practice by PLT adapter manufacturers.
--
J B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 11/07/14 09:00, RJH wrote:
Does this little lot: complies with "BS1363, EN60950, EMC, EMI, FCC, CB"
count for anything (Toolstation's 13A/USB socket)?

Only if you can get a copy of the actual certs! Otherwise anyone can
claim anything...

As is the practice by PLT adapter manufacturers.

Indeed. Some of the better appliance manuals actually have a copy of the
certification from body-X (whatever may be relevant) with signature.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
Indeed. Some of the better appliance manuals actually have a copy of the
certification from body-X (whatever may be relevant) with signature.

If it has an FCC number you should be able to look up the test results
online.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/2014 09:00, RJH wrote:
On 10/07/2014 21:15, Martin Warby wrote:
If you are thinking of getting a mains socket with builtin charger
worth looking at
http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org...ocket-outlets/
a lot of them leave a lot to be desired safety wise

Martin

Interesting - and pretty damning. The samples list doesn't include
sample 9, though - the only one with a decentish review!

Stand corrected - it's there, 4th from the bottom. They don't publish
manufacturers/suppliers, and most of those tested and 'failed' are
no-name internet sourced. I asked them by email and received full
replies within minutes.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/2014 12:03, Theo Markettos wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
Indeed. Some of the better appliance manuals actually have a copy of the
certification from body-X (whatever may be relevant) with signature.

If it has an FCC number you should be able to look up the test results
online.

Which, if it was made in China or some other places, will be the test
results for the sample containing *all* the suppression components
required in the initial design that the maker submitted for test.

The one you buy, especially from many overseas based eBay suppliers,
will be the "value engineered" version *without* the suppression. Some
of them may not even have the mounting holes drilled in the PCB,
although the copper layout will be the same.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:
On 11/07/2014 08:19, Scott M wrote:

As a side note, I read somewhere that there's been an increase in house
fires down to all these continuously plugged in device chargers. I'd
forgotten that before but that would be my number 1 point now against
that socket.

I'd like to see the source of that data. I'd have guessed fires were the
result of poorly designed and manufactured equipment used outside their
design brief.

Yep. And since every last damn thing we buy that runs on electrickery
comes from China where they're happy to slap compliance stickers on
anything that goes through their doors and don't give a rats' chuff
about any form of safety, any form of "novelty" product by a
non-mainstream manufacturer must be viewed with trepidation.

--
Scott