Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Decisions, decisions

We are intending to put a rectangular mirror on a bedroom wall. The obvious
place is on the chimney breast. However there is a small old fireplace still
in situ, (unused) which is not positioned centrallly, due to the flue from
downstairs passing it. I was intending to put the mirror central to the
chimney breast, but it has been suggested it would look better in line with
the fire surround. Your opinions would be appreciated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tahiri wrote:
We are intending to put a rectangular mirror on a bedroom wall. The
obvious place is on the chimney breast. However there is a small old
fireplace still in situ, (unused) which is not positioned centrallly,
due to the flue from downstairs passing it. I was intending to put the
mirror central to the chimney breast, but it has been suggested it
would look better in line with the fire surround. Your opinions would
be appreciated.

What looks right to you. Since you say 'we' - more likely what looks right
to your wife. Don't hope for help here if she gives you grief because you
disagree.

--
*Real women don't have hot flashes, they have power surges.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/9/2014 8:01 AM, Tahiri wrote:
We are intending to put a rectangular mirror on a bedroom wall. The obvious
place is on the chimney breast. However there is a small old fireplace still
in situ, (unused) which is not positioned centrallly, due to the flue from
downstairs passing it. I was intending to put the mirror central to the
chimney breast, but it has been suggested it would look better in line with
the fire surround. Your opinions would be appreciated.

Cut a piece of cardboard or paper (newspaper works for this) to the size
of your mirror; move it around until you or your other half approves.
Tape it in place, go away for a while, see if you still like it when you
return. Once you're sure, mark the corners (lightly, in chalk or
pencil), then hang the mirror.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, July 9, 2014 1:01:35 PM UTC+1, Tahiri wrote:
We are intending to put a rectangular mirror on a bedroom wall. The obvious
place is on the chimney breast. However there is a small old fireplace still
in situ, (unused) which is not positioned centrallly, due to the flue from
downstairs passing it. I was intending to put the mirror central to the
chimney breast, but it has been suggested it would look better in line with
the fire surround. Your opinions would be appreciated.

Widen the fireplace visually with a small table / picture / vase of twigs on the floor / something adjacent to it in the empty space where the downstairs flue passes.

Something horizontal over the fireplace and 'thing' - whether a landscape mirror, picture, narrow shelf, decorative sword or javelin, whavever, will tie the two together. You can then put the mirror centrally on the chimney breast above it.

Or put the mirror above the fire surround and then put a tall vertical thing in the gap to the side of both mirror and fire.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, July 9, 2014 1:01:35 PM UTC+1, Tahiri wrote:
We are intending to put a rectangular mirror on a bedroom wall. The obvious

place is on the chimney breast. However there is a small old fireplace still

in situ, (unused) which is not positioned centrallly, due to the flue from

downstairs passing it. I was intending to put the mirror central to the

chimney breast, but it has been suggested it would look better in line with

the fire surround. Your opinions would be appreciated.

Ours is like that. Just went to have a look. We have the mirror over the fireplace but it never looks quite right wherever you put it. I think the best idea would be to hide the wider side with something tall like some tall grasses in a tall vase. Or maybe a coal scuttle and some very long implements.
Oh wait, hang the bed pan there ... what do you mean you don't use bed pan !
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2014 15:23, sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

You probably mean a bed *warming* pan?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2014 13:01, Tahiri wrote:
We are intending to put a rectangular mirror on a bedroom wall. The obvious
place is on the chimney breast. However there is a small old fireplace still
in situ, (unused) which is not positioned centrallly, due to the flue from
downstairs passing it. I was intending to put the mirror central to the
chimney breast, but it has been suggested it would look better in line with
the fire surround. Your opinions would be appreciated.

Hang it wherever SWMBO wants it :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, July 9, 2014 2:53:01 PM UTC+1, S Viemeister wrote:
Cut a piece of cardboard or paper (newspaper works for this) to the size
of your mirror; move it around until you or your other half approves.

Tape it in place, go away for a while, see if she still likes it when you
return. Once you're sure, mark the corners in indelible ink and get her
to sign and date them. Photograph it with a witness.

There, I corrected it for you. :-)

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2014 13:01, Tahiri wrote:
We are intending to put a rectangular mirror on a bedroom wall. The
obvious
place is on the chimney breast. However there is a small old fireplace
still
in situ, (unused) which is not positioned centrallly, due to the flue
from
downstairs passing it. I was intending to put the mirror central to the
chimney breast, but it has been suggested it would look better in line
with
the fire surround. Your opinions would be appreciated.

Hang it wherever SWMBO wants it :-)

An oval mirror might work
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
On 09/07/2014 13:01, Tahiri wrote:
We are intending to put a rectangular mirror on a bedroom wall. The
obvious
place is on the chimney breast. However there is a small old fireplace
still
in situ, (unused) which is not positioned centrallly, due to the flue
from
downstairs passing it. I was intending to put the mirror central to the
chimney breast, but it has been suggested it would look better in line
with
the fire surround. Your opinions would be appreciated.

Hang it wherever SWMBO wants it :-)

I am sure that in one episode of Fawlty Towers Basil closes his eyes when
Sybil is telling him where to fit a picture.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

We are intending to put a rectangular mirror on a bedroom wall. The
obvious
place is on the chimney breast. However there is a small old fireplace
still in situ, (unused) which is not positioned centrallly, due to the
flue from downstairs passing it. I was intending to put the mirror central
to the chimney breast, but it has been suggested it would look better in
line with the fire surround. Your opinions would be appreciated.

Thank you all. I like the idea of adding something else to diguise the
problem. I will experiment.

(Just for the record - I am 'swmbo', but himself is away at present!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway Handyman
writes
On 09/07/2014 13:01, Tahiri wrote:
We are intending to put a rectangular mirror on a bedroom wall. The obvious
place is on the chimney breast. However there is a small old fireplace still
in situ, (unused) which is not positioned centrallly, due to the flue from
downstairs passing it. I was intending to put the mirror central to the
chimney breast, but it has been suggested it would look better in line with
the fire surround. Your opinions would be appreciated.

Hang it wherever SWMBO wants it :-)

And be prepared to be declared wrong.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tahiri
writes

We are intending to put a rectangular mirror on a bedroom wall. The
obvious
place is on the chimney breast. However there is a small old fireplace
still in situ, (unused) which is not positioned centrallly, due to the
flue from downstairs passing it. I was intending to put the mirror central
to the chimney breast, but it has been suggested it would look better in
line with the fire surround. Your opinions would be appreciated.

Thank you all. I like the idea of adding something else to diguise the
problem. I will experiment.

YKWTS Best way to hide something is to make it stand out.
(Just for the record - I am 'swmbo', but himself is away at present!)

--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/14 13:22, bert wrote:
YKWTS Best way to hide something is to make it stand out.

He tried that, but still got done for indecent exposure ;-)

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 10/07/14 13:22, bert wrote:
YKWTS Best way to hide something is to make it stand out.

He tried that, but still got done for indecent exposure ;-)

LOL
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Jul 2014 13:22:59 +0100, bert ] wrote:

In message , Tahiri
writes

We are intending to put a rectangular mirror on a bedroom wall. The
obvious
place is on the chimney breast. However there is a small old fireplace
still in situ, (unused) which is not positioned centrallly, due to the
flue from downstairs passing it. I was intending to put the mirror central
to the chimney breast, but it has been suggested it would look better in
line with the fire surround. Your opinions would be appreciated.

Thank you all. I like the idea of adding something else to diguise the
problem. I will experiment.

YKWTS Best way to hide something is to make it stand out.

It looks like you're thinking about elephants.
--
J B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

--
J B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

bert wrote:
In message , The Medway Handyman
writes
On 09/07/2014 13:01, Tahiri wrote:
We are intending to put a rectangular mirror on a bedroom wall. The
obvious
place is on the chimney breast. However there is a small old
fireplace still
in situ, (unused) which is not positioned centrallly, due to the flue
from
downstairs passing it. I was intending to put the mirror central to the
chimney breast, but it has been suggested it would look better in
line with
the fire surround. Your opinions would be appreciated.

Hang it wherever SWMBO wants it :-)

And be prepared to be declared wrong.

Tell her she wants a free standing tiltable mirror so that she can
admire herself from all angles before going out.

Decisions, decisions - Bandsaws: Rikon 10-345 v. PWBS-14CS v.JWBS-18 Devon Miller Woodworking 1 January 27th 08 10:07 PM
Vokera or Vaillant combi's - decisions, decisions Numpty UK diy 2 August 23rd 06 08:06 PM
bathroom decisions friday Home Repair 6 August 6th 06 07:31 PM
Water Well Decisions Robert E. Lewis Home Repair 2 November 12th 05 08:12 AM
lathe decisions John Pilhoefer Woodturning 12 September 7th 04 05:19 AM