Posted to alt.home.repair

Default bathroom decisions

I have been forced to rip out the tile surrounding my bathtub due to a
serious leak up from the tub 30". The water saturated the three (3)
layers of sheetrock behind the wall and so I ripped that out as well.
The supply pipe to the shower head was loose so I ripped through that
sheetrock to secure the pipe. I should replace the tub because it is
aqua and chipped (I haven't been able to find the right color patch). I
have never done a project like this and will be doing it by myself (I
guess I'm a little stubborn). My question: should I install new tile
because it will be prettier but potentially quite difficult, or put in
a tub surround which would be quicker and easier but not nearly as
pleasing to look at? Thanks for your time.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Flip a coin?

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

Suggest you buy a tub with the surrond as part of it as they are thye
best way to go seeing you have gone this far
friday wrote:
I have been forced to rip out the tile surrounding my bathtub due to a
serious leak up from the tub 30". The water saturated the three (3)
layers of sheetrock behind the wall and so I ripped that out as well.
The supply pipe to the shower head was loose so I ripped through that
sheetrock to secure the pipe. I should replace the tub because it is
aqua and chipped (I haven't been able to find the right color patch). I
have never done a project like this and will be doing it by myself (I
guess I'm a little stubborn). My question: should I install new tile
because it will be prettier but potentially quite difficult, or put in
a tub surround which would be quicker and easier but not nearly as
pleasing to look at? Thanks for your time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

after tearing out the wet walls, you hire the plumber to replace the
fixtures and all related pipes. then hire for the wall job. you won't
be happy with your results unless this is an unused bathroom and you've
got unlimited time and patience.

friday wrote:
I have been forced to rip out the tile surrounding my bathtub due to a
serious leak up from the tub 30". The water saturated the three (3)
layers of sheetrock behind the wall and so I ripped that out as well.
The supply pipe to the shower head was loose so I ripped through that
sheetrock to secure the pipe. I should replace the tub because it is
aqua and chipped (I haven't been able to find the right color patch). I
have never done a project like this and will be doing it by myself (I
guess I'm a little stubborn). My question: should I install new tile
because it will be prettier but potentially quite difficult, or put in
a tub surround which would be quicker and easier but not nearly as
pleasing to look at? Thanks for your time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

buffalobill wrote:
after tearing out the wet walls, you hire the plumber to replace the
fixtures and all related pipes. then hire for the wall job. you won't
be happy with your results unless this is an unused bathroom and you've
got unlimited time and patience.

Impossible to answer without knowing what the rest of the bathroom
looks like, what the rest of the house is like, or what your skill
level is.

Tile looks nicer, add value, but is harder to keep clean and much
harder to install.

Posted to alt.home.repair

friday wrote:
My skill level is novice and the rest of the house and bathroom is in
good shape. Can't afford to hire work out and I can figure it out, but
it may take some time. My big problem with surrounds is that they are
fairly ugly and seem to crack easily.

Pick a pretty one with a warranty against cracking. Both problems solved.

Tiling bathroom floor Tom W UK diy 2 April 8th 05 09:49 AM
Bathroom - tiles or cladding thewelshman UK diy 2 February 8th 05 12:05 PM
Bathroom exhausts sharing single duct?! jay Home Repair 11 January 30th 05 10:52 PM
Help - bathroom fitting information needed!? al UK diy 10 January 13th 04 10:47 AM
Venting bathroom exhaust fans into soffit kevins_news Home Repair 5 January 8th 04 09:06 PM