Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Auction

Joiners workshop contents for auction ...

http://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/auction-catalogues/home-bpi/catalogue-id-home-a10055
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns scribbled...

Joiners workshop contents for auction ...

http://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/auction-catalogues/home-bpi/catalogue-id-home-a10055

How sad. Some blokes life being broken up and a couple of jobs down the
drain. I went to an engineering workshop sale a while back. The owner
was hanging around close to tears. Not a nice memory.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, July 1, 2014 11:57:30 PM UTC+1, Jabba wrote:
Andy Burns scribbled...

Joiners workshop contents for auction ...
http://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/auction-catalogues/home-bpi/catalogue-id-home-a10055

How sad. Some blokes life being broken up and a couple of jobs down the
drain. I went to an engineering workshop sale a while back. The owner
was hanging around close to tears. Not a nice memory.

Not only that but to get £5 for stuff that cost over 100... you dont even get a moderate fraction of the work & money you put in. I'm glad I dont speak from experience.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, July 2, 2014 12:52:03 AM UTC+1, wrote:
On Tuesday, July 1, 2014 11:57:30 PM UTC+1, Jabba wrote:

Andy Burns scribbled...

Joiners workshop contents for auction ...

http://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/auction-catalogues/home-bpi/catalogue-id-home-a10055

How sad. Some blokes life being broken up and a couple of jobs down the

drain. I went to an engineering workshop sale a while back. The owner

was hanging around close to tears. Not a nice memory.

Not only that but to get £5 for stuff that cost over 100... you dont even get a moderate fraction of the work & money you put in. I'm glad I dont speak from experience.

NT

Well nobody ever bought tools or office furniture as an investment.Of course they depreciate. An item is only worth what someone will pay for it. The secret to selling successfully is to find a buyer who wants what you have got.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, July 2, 2014 1:46:51 PM UTC+1, fred wrote:
On Wednesday, July 2, 2014 12:52:03 AM UTC+1, wrote:
On Tuesday, July 1, 2014 11:57:30 PM UTC+1, Jabba wrote:
Andy Burns scribbled...

Joiners workshop contents for auction ...
http://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/auction-catalogues/home-bpi/catalogue-id-home-a10055

How sad. Some blokes life being broken up and a couple of jobs down the
drain. I went to an engineering workshop sale a while back. The owner
was hanging around close to tears. Not a nice memory.

Not only that but to get £5 for stuff that cost over 100... you dont even get a moderate fraction of the work & money you put in. I'm glad I dont speak from experience.

Well nobody ever bought tools or office furniture as an investment.

Of course one does

Of course they depreciate. An item is only worth what someone will pay for it. The secret to selling successfully is to find a buyer who wants what you have got.

No its not. Its neither a secret nor the main answer to sales.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"fred" wrote in message
On Wednesday, July 2, 2014 12:52:03 AM UTC+1, wrote:
On Tuesday, July 1, 2014 11:57:30 PM UTC+1, Jabba wrote:

Andy Burns scribbled...

Joiners workshop contents for auction ...

http://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/auction-catalogues/home-bpi/catalogue-id-home-a10055

How sad. Some blokes life being broken up and a couple of jobs down the

drain. I went to an engineering workshop sale a while back. The owner

was hanging around close to tears. Not a nice memory.

Not only that but to get £5 for stuff that cost over 100... you dont even
get a moderate fraction of the work & money you put in. I'm glad I dont
speak from experience.

NT

Well nobody ever bought tools or office furniture as an investment.

That's not true of all tool. One operation I know well did buy the
more expensive machine tools as an investment, buying them
at various auctions with the realised expectation that they would
be a good investment over time because of what he paid for them.

Of course they depreciate. An item is only worth what someone will pay for
it.
The secret to selling successfully is to find a buyer who wants what you
have got.

And that isnt necessarily that hard if you buy well in the first place and
don't buy new.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred scribbled...

[...]

That ain't gonna happen at a bankruptcy auction is it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jabba wrote:
fred scribbled...

Well nobody ever bought tools or office furniture as an investment.Of
course they depreciate. An item is only worth what someone will pay for
it. The secret to selling successfully is to find a buyer who wants
what you have got.

That ain't gonna happen at a bankruptcy auction is it.

Depends. The prices are some auctions like that can go surprisingly high -
more than ebay often. And then you've got buyer's premium, VAT, viewing is
only for one day before the auction and you can only collect between
8-12noon on Monday. Unless it's really mundane stuff or you want to buy a
job lot it's often not worth bothering with the auction, ebay is less
hassle.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 1 July 2014 23:57:30 UTC+1, Jabba wrote:
Andy Burns scribbled...

Joiners workshop contents for auction ...

http://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/auction-catalogues/home-bpi/catalogue-id-home-a10055

How sad. Some blokes life being broken up and a couple of jobs down the

drain. I went to an engineering workshop sale a while back. The owner

was hanging around close to tears. Not a nice memory.

Indeed, I am reminded of receiving a spam e-mail at work once about a closure sale of a silver mine in the US. The mine itself, GINORMOUS tipper trucks, ... Since it wasn't our line of business, it was rather amusing to be offered it, until you realised that a small town was probably now out of work..

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jabba wrote:
Andy Burns scribbled...

Joiners workshop contents for auction ...

http://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/auction-catalogues/home-bpi/catalogue-id-home-a10055

How sad.

No, not sad. Happy. Retire! Enjoy your life!

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill Wright" wrote in message ...

Jabba wrote:
Andy Burns scribbled...

Joiners workshop contents for auction ...

http://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/auction-catalogues/home-bpi/catalogue-id-home-a10055

How sad.

No, not sad. Happy. Retire! Enjoy your life!

Bill

Sometimes you are in need of a slap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, July 2, 2014 5:37:34 PM UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

Oh right. I'll dump the Krugerrand and buy some Stanley screwdrivers. Wow thats good. Look at the money I'll make. Not.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, July 2, 2014 11:27:57 PM UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"fred" wrote in message

[...]

Oh dear.

He bought the items as an investment in his business. Not as an investment. Two totally different things.

Buy low and sell high. Good advice, but trite.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, July 3, 2014 7:12:30 PM UTC+1, fred wrote:
[...]

Is there a reason for the silliness?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"fred" wrote in message

[...]

We'll see...

He bought the items as an investment in his business. Not as an
investment.

He did both.

Two totally different things.

Nope, doing both at once.

Buy low and sell high. Good advice, but trite.

Blows your silly claim completely out of the water.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"fred" wrote in message

[...]

Let me see. he bought these items on the basis that they would increase in value and he would make a profit on them ????

Lucky chap

Which of my silly claims did you blow out of the water ?

Not this one.

" Of course they depreciate. An item is only worth what someone will pay for
it. "

And this wasn't a claim. merely a piece of advice

" The secret to selling successfully is to find a buyer who wants what you
have got. "

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Really, you are an idiot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote
Rod Speed wrote
fred wrote
Rod Speed wrote
fred wrote
wrote
Jabba wrote
Andy Burns scribbled...

Joiners workshop contents for auction ...

http://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/auction-catalogues/home-bpi/catalogue-id-home-a10055

How sad. Some blokes life being broken up and a couple of jobs down
the drain. I went to an engineering workshop sale a while back.
The
owner was hanging around close to tears. Not a nice memory.

Not only that but to get �5 for stuff that cost over 100...
you dont even get a moderate fraction of the work &
money you put in. I'm glad I dont speak from experience.

Well nobody ever bought tools or office furniture as an investment.

That's not true of all tools. One operation I know well did buy the
[...]

Let me see.

We've already seen.

he bought these items on the basis that they would increase
in value and he would make a profit on them ????

No, he bought them because he needed them and had
enough of a clue to buy what he needed from other
auctions and knew that he would be able to sell them
at a profit if his operation turned out to not be viable.

Lucky chap

Nothing to do with luck at all.

Which of my silly claims did you blow out of the water ?

Well nobody ever bought tools or office furniture as an investment.

Not this one.

" Of course they depreciate. An item is only worth what someone will pay
for it. "

And this wasn't a claim. merely a piece of advice

" The secret to selling successfully is to find a buyer who wants what you
have got. "

Having fun thrashing that straw man ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

Wota stunning line in rational argument you have there, child.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message ...

"Richard" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

See, you are an idiot. You cannot distinguish between a statement of fact
and an argument. There is no point arguing with you. Best you can do is
accept your status and carry it with all the pride and dignity you can
muster.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, July 4, 2014 8:48:09 AM UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
fred wrote
Rod Speed wrote
fred wrote
Rod Speed wrote
fred wrote
wrote
Jabba wrote
Andy Burns scribbled...

[...]

For once Rod's right. Many times I've bought tools knowing they will go up in value over time, not down. If you buy a new power tool from say Silverline, you could be confident its value will fall, at some point to zero. But if you buy a massive extremely robust ex-railway adjustable wrench for £2, you can be confident its value goes up the moment you buy it, and will most likely rise further over time.

The same is true for some furniture, and lots of things that most people buy as depreciating assets.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard" wrote in message
"Rod Speed" wrote in message ...

"Richard" wrote in message
.. .

wrote:

[...]

See, you are an idiot.

Wota stunning line in rational argument you have there, child.

You cannot distinguish between a statement of fact and an argument.

You wouldnt know what a fact was if it bit you on your lard arse, child.

There is no point arguing with you.

You have never managed to argue with anyone, child.

Best you can do is accept your status and carry it with all the pride and
dignity you can muster.

Wota stunning line in rational argument you have there, child.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I'm intrigued to know how he could be certain he could sell them on at a profit. How is he going to sell them? At an auction? If so no way can he guarantee he will get a better price than he paid apart from covering the Auctioneers buying and selling fees.

He might like to think he'll get a better price but that could be wishful thinking.

So if not at an auction then sell them privately? So now he has the cost of setting himself up as a dealer. Advertising, demonstrating, etc. etc.

eBay ? Good luck with that.

Youre rapidly changing argument doesn't hold water.

I've no intention of carrying on this discussion any further so go on have the last word.

Lucky chap

Nothing to do with luck at all.

Which of my silly claims did you blow out of the water ?

Well nobody ever bought tools or office furniture as an investment.

Not this one.

" Of course they depreciate. An item is only worth what someone will pay

for it. "

And this wasn't a claim. merely a piece of advice

" The secret to selling successfully is to find a buyer who wants what you

have got. "

Having fun thrashing that straw man ?

Oh dear. You don't appear to know what s straw man is.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

/You are arguing from the general to the particular here. /q

ITYM squirming

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wise move Fred. With some people it's anything for an argument
Billy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote
wrote
Rod Speed wrote
fred wrote
Rod Speed wrote
fred wrote
Rod Speed wrote
fred wrote
wrote
Jabba wrote
Andy Burns scribbled...

[...]

Nope, we are ****ing on your original stupid claim from a great height.

Have you tried selling on your purchases ?

I have.

Are you a dealer ? There can be a great gap between expectation and
reality.

Not if you know what you are doing and have watched what
happens to the what gets paid for the sort of stuff you are buying.

If you can guarantee always making a profit you have found the golden
goose.

Nope, just worked out what plenty of others have worked out.

Buying second hand involves greater expense

Bull****. Its MUCH cheaper to buy the stuff at an auction
of the tools in a clearing sale when the operation has
gone bust than to buy the same stuff now.

and risk.

Sure, but it isnt hard to check that the tools are working properly.

I can order new tools without leaving my desk and have them delivered.

And pay a lot more for that convenience.

Buying at an auction means at least one trip to the auction room

Yes, but that may well produce a decent return on your time.

and the risk of buying a pig in a poke.

Not if you know what you are doing.

People often send suspect items to auction

That wont be the case with an auction where the equipment
that is being sold is what the business was using before it
went bust or more strictly other stuff is normally specified
as being from other vendors by the auctioneer.

and unless you can try them you take a chance.

And you can always try them with the sort of tools being discussed.

All of this costs money.

Time, actually.

This in reality would have to be offset against any savings made.

Duh.

If you are buying from a dealer

We arent discussing that situation.

its highly unlikely there would be a second profit in it.

Your original,

Well nobody ever bought tools or office furniture as an investment.

is just plain wrong.

The same is true for some furniture, and lots of
things that most people buy as depreciating assets.

Certainly not true for office furniture

Wrong again.

and not always true for 'antique' furniture.
Depreciation on office furniture can be horrendous.

And may not be, particularly when you buy it at an auction like that.

I know. We are in the business. Many have had their fingers burnt.

And many make a decent business doing it, even if you can't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote
Rod Speed wrote
fred wrote
Rod Speed wrote
fred wrote
Rod Speed wrote
fred wrote
wrote
Jabba wrote
Andy Burns scribbled...

[...]

I didnt say anything about certainty. Very few investments are an absolute
certainty. But given that he knew he got them for a very good price, and
given that he knew what those tools normally sold for, anyone who knows
what they are doing knows when its a good investment.

How is he going to sell them? At an auction?

However it turns out to be useful if he decides he no longer needs them.

If so no way can he guarantee he will get a better price than he
paid apart from covering the Auctioneers buying and selling fees.

There is if he knows that what he paid for them was
a much better price than they usually go for at auction.

He might like to think he'll get a better
price but that could be wishful thinking.

Or it could be knowledge based on what he knows they have
sold for and that he paid significantly less than is typical.

So if not at an auction then sell them privately? So
now he has the cost of setting himself up as a dealer.

No he does not. He could get real radical and
sell them using ebay or amazon etc etc etc.

Advertising, demonstrating, etc. etc.

Not necessarily.

Another fella I know very well has been doing that
sort of thing for well over half a century now with
cars and has made a very decent living out of it.

eBay ? Good luck with that.

Plenty manage to use it very effectively, even if you can't manage that.

Youre rapidly changing argument

Everyone can see for themselves that my argument hasnt changed one iota.

doesn't hold water.

Everyone can see for themselves that you never
could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

I've no intention of carrying on this discussion
any further so go on have the last word.

Thanks for running up the white flag so enthusiastically.

Lucky chap

Nothing to do with luck at all.

Which of my silly claims did you blow out of the water ?

Well nobody ever bought tools or office furniture as an investment.

Not this one.

" Of course they depreciate. An item is only worth what someone will pay
for it. "

And this wasn't a claim. merely a piece of advice

" The secret to selling successfully is to find a buyer who wants what
you have got. "

Having fun thrashing that straw man ?

Oh dear.

Oh cheap in your case.

You don't appear to know what s straw man is.

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

8

Well nobody ever bought tools or office furniture as an investment.

For once Rod's right. Many times I've bought tools knowing they will go up in value over time, not down. If you buy a new power tool from say Silverline, you could be confident its value will fall, at some point to zero. But if you buy a massive extremely robust ex-railway adjustable wrench for £2, you can be confident its value goes up the moment you buy it, and will most likely rise further over time.

You are arguing from the general to the particular here.

I'm simply objecting factually to the incorrect claim at the top

Have you tried selling on your purchases ?

many times, obviously

Are you a dealer ?

not primarily

There can be a great gap between expectation and reality.

there often is when people dont know what theyre doing. Not everyone's in that position. Its extremely easy now with ebay & amazon

If you can guarantee always making a profit you have found the golden goose.

No, its just a simple business skill. And no-one claimed guarantees anywhere.

Buying second hand involves greater expense and risk.

Expense? hardly!

Risk? Lets see....
Say I buy 100 new tools, total cost £1000.
Now lets say I buy 100 used tools, total cost £150. Of these 75% prove to be fine, 20% inadequte/unsuitable/sub-par/etc, 5% broken. Of those I reject I resell 15% for £75 and 5% for £5 the lot. So I have 75 tools at a cost of £70.

Risk? Risk is for people that dont know what theyre doing. Risks exist with new tools too, and overall the picture is far worse: the new tools cost £1000. Buying used reduces outgoings, and its outgoings where the risk exists. IOW as long as you know what youre doing and buy wisely, buying used at auction reduces cost & risk.

I can order new tools without leaving my desk and have them delivered.

ditto with many auctions now.

Buying at an auction means at least one trip to the auction room

mostly not now. You get to choose where you'll buy - its just another expense on what you buy.

and the risk of buying a pig in a poke.

That suggests some naivety. Buying a pig in a poke originally meant buying a piglet in a tied sack. Often the buyer got a financially worthless cat.

You only risk the pig in poke situation if you choose to buy items that have that risk. I mostly avoid them, but on the occasion I have bought such one can expect especially good profits, as people are so wary of pig in poke offers that you get a lot for extremely small cost. The other day I bought a pig in a poke lot of 128 items after the briefest look for £25 - with a retail shop price of... rough estimate here, maybe £900. Risk? No, I'm sure we'll profit.

Even with pigs in pokes if I buy 10, resell 8 at a profit and dump 2, its still a profit.

People often send suspect items to auction

It all helps keep the prices low

and unless you can try them you take a chance.

Try/see/etc, depending on the goods.

All of this costs money. This in reality would have to be offset against any savings made.

But its still profit. Auctions and other job lots would more or less cease to exist if it wasnt.

If you are buying from a dealer its highly unlikely there would be a second profit in it.

a lot harder, but I've still spotted the odd profit. Early this year I paid £5 for something worth £25. It was out of the dealer's area of expertise.

The same is true for some furniture, and lots of things that most people buy as depreciating assets.

Certainly not true for office furniture

Nonsense.

and not always true for 'antique' furniture. Depreciation on office furniture can be horrendous. I know. We are in the business. Many have had their fingers burnt.

In most lines of business, most end up losing out while some make profits. Just because you're losing on one of your costs doesnt mean everyone is.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Indeed, I am reminded of receiving a spam e-mail at work once about a
closure sale of a silver mine in the US. The mine itself, GINORMOUS
tipper trucks, ... Since it wasn't our line of business, it was rather
amusing to be offered it, until you realised that a small town was
probably now out of work.

Some of those (genuine) auctions can be quite fun, though I've never found
one near enough to be worth bidding on anything. Anyone fancy:

http://international.go-dove.com/en/...D-Oil-Refinery

Just collect from Australia.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, July 4, 2014 9:22:30 PM UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
fred wrote

Rod Speed wrote

fred wrote

Rod Speed wrote

fred wrote

Rod Speed wrote

fred wrote

wrote

Jabba wrote

Andy Burns scribbled...

Joiners workshop contents for auction ...

http://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/auction-catalogues/home-bpi/catalogue-id-home-a10055

How sad. Some blokes life being broken up and a couple of jobs

down the drain. I went to an engineering workshop sale a while

back.

The owner was hanging around close to tears. Not a nice memory..

Not only that but to get �5 for stuff that cost over 100....

you dont even get a moderate fraction of the work &

money you put in. I'm glad I dont speak from experience..

Well nobody ever bought tools or office furniture as an investment.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, July 4, 2014 11:23:25 PM UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

Well you're obviously some sort of a dealer. And this discussion, istr, stemmed from a statement that no one ever bought tools or office furniture as an investment. You're aren't talking investments here. you're discussing you're business in which you buy and sell stock. Big difference. Not saying you can't make a good living out of it, and I hope you do, but its not really what this discussion is about.

Incidentally I have a friend working for one of the major accountancy firms.. It recently COST them over £10,000 to have their old office furniture removed. I shudder to think what it cost them new. And yes it did end up being offered for re-sale by a dealer. In general terms used office furniture has a very low value. Even getting it for nothing is no guarantee of a profit. Collection costs, storage costs etc. etc. all have to be paid for. The water companies get their raw material free but still have to charge for it..

No. Second hand tools as an investment vehicle just doesn't run.

Billy Orange
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, July 5, 2014 12:32:16 AM UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

I've done both, both work

Not saying you can't make a good living out of it, and I hope you do, but its not really what this discussion is about.

Incidentally I have a friend working for one of the major accountancy firms. It recently COST them over £10,000 to have their old office furniture removed.

Even if they'd stuck it on ebay as a job lot they'd have gotten paid something. Even firewood & scrap metal are worth more than minus 10k. I see you said major firms - I dislike the gross inefficiency & waste of large companies. Given that over 10k was involved they should have given the task to someone with the basic clues.

I shudder to think what it cost them new. And yes it did end up being offered for re-sale by a dealer. In general terms used office furniture has a very low value.

Yes... so if you want to not lose on the deal, buy used. For large employers its a choice between everything matching and projecting an image, or mix & match at 1/10th the price. Most choose to pay.

Even getting it for nothing is no guarantee of a profit. Collection costs, storage costs etc. etc. all have to be paid for. The water companies get their raw material free but still have to charge for it.
No. Second hand tools as an investment vehicle just doesn't run.

It already has. I already gave an example of the railway wrench. I guess you've never bought job lots of old tools. Or seen what job lots of stuff go for at auctions when its not the main type of product in the auction.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote
Rod Speed wrote
fred wrote
Rod Speed wrote
fred wrote
Rod Speed wrote
fred wrote
Rod Speed wrote
fred wrote
wrote
Jabba wrote
Andy Burns wrote

[...]

This is absolute nonsense.

We'll see...

He buys tools at an auction very cheaply and then sells them again at a
better price ???

No. Read what I said again. I said he bought them for a very good
price at an auction so that if it turned out that the business using
them was not viable, he could sell them at a profit if he needed to.

He can't possibly guarantee this.

I didnt say anything about an absolute guarantee.

But when he knows that he got them for a very good price, he
can be confident of selling them again for a reasonable profit
if it turns out that the business he bought them to use them in
did not turn out to be viable in the sense of getting enough
work in using them to pay for the purchase of those tools.

His primary business was selling new cars as an authorised dealer
for those new cars, selling used cars, and doing work on cars that
needed to be done, including full engine rebuilds etc. He got the
machine tools to allow him to do much more sophisticated
engineering than that and was quite successful at doing that.

If he bought them cheaply the first time what is
to stop them being sold cheaply the second time?

I never said he bought the tools to trade in them.

Have you thought this through?

I didnt need to, he decided to do that himself and it
worked out very well for him when he did think that thru.

Do you not see how inane a claim it is?

Nothing inane about what he actually did as opposed to your straw man.

Even before he covers buying and selling fees of upwards of 40% ?

There are no buying and selling fees of anything like that involved.

Streuth he would want to be getting them for next to
nothing to cover that cost alone never mind make a profit.

Even sillier.

and he has to do this consistantly,

Never said anything like that.

and run his business at the same time?

Yes, he did that fine.

What guarantee has he that the tools are in working order ?

He got real radical and checked that they were before he bought them.

I've never been to a viewing day where power was available to test tools

I've been to plenty where it is.

and if you think a liquidator won't put every piece of junk
he can find into an auction then you need to wake up.

Even you should be able to work out what is junk and
what is not and even if you can't, he certainly could.

And he didnt even buy them from a liquidator auction anyway.

Or if you think the best tools haven't already been winkled
out by management and staff before they go to auction.

Not even possible with the auction where he got them.

And then he has his buying costs.

Just his time in fact.

He has to visit the auction viewing day to evaluate
the items and then visit the auction to bid on them.
All with no guarantee he will get them cheap.

No one is holding a gun to his head and is forcing him
to buy anything he doesnt like the price it goes for.

How many times will he have to do this ?

Varys with the auctions that turn up obviously.

Does he set any value on his time?

Still going to make a massive saving on what he would
pay to buy those very expensive machine tools new.

I don't deny that bargains can be obtained at an auction

Just as well, because those of us that do go to them know
that that does happen, which might be why we go to them.

but as an investment vehicle

No one said anything about an investment vehicle except you.

its not one I'd like to put my money into

You are completely irrelevant.

And we are talking investments here as Fred said.

No we are not. I JUST said that his original

Well nobody ever bought tools or office furniture as an
investment.

is just plain wrong. Some do that and some buy tools in
a way that sees them make a profit if they find that the
tools dont produce a viable business and need to sell them.

So if not at an auction then sell them privately? So
now he has the cost of setting himself up as a dealer.

No he does not. He could get real radical and
sell them using ebay or amazon etc etc etc.

Advertising, demonstrating, etc. etc.

Not necessarily.

Another fella I know very well has been doing that
sort of thing for well over half a century now with
cars and has made a very decent living out of it.

FMP now we are talking about second hand car dealers.

We are talking about his silly claim about advertising, demonstrating, etc
etc.

How far off thread can we get.

As yourself. You are the one mindlessly rabbiting on about
investment vehicles that no one but you ever mentioned.

And anyway your Arthur Daly friend is not
investing in cars he's dealing in them.

He is in fact doing both.

You still haven't grasped the fundamental difference.

I never ever said that he does just one thing.

eBay ? Good luck with that.

Plenty manage to use it very effectively, even if you can't manage that.

Youre rapidly changing argument

Everyone can see for themselves that my argument hasnt changed one iota.

Hasn't changed ?

Nope, not one iota.

This after throwing second hand car dealing
in support of his unsupportable claims.

I made no claim what so ever. I stated a FACT that one person
I know did in fact do what fred claimed no one ever does.

There is nothing unsupportable about the fact I stated.
Even tho he is dead, you can ask his sons what he did
if I was stupid enough to give you their names.

The only reason I mentioned the other person who
did trade in used cars is to point out that fred's silly
claim about advertising is just as silly as his other one.

[...]

Hmm so you don'y know what a 'Straw man' is then ?

Wrong, as always.

You just did that yourself with your 'investment
vehicle' that no one even mentioned till you did.

And you thrashed that one too.

When in doubt throw some ****e. Your modus operandii ?

Everyone can see for themselves that it is yours.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

Irrelevant to what is being discussed, fred's original stupid claim.

And this discussion, istr, stemmed from a statement that no
one ever bought tools or office furniture as an investment.

Yes.

You're aren't talking investments here. you're discussing
you're business in which you buy and sell stock. Big difference.
Not saying you can't make a good living out of it, and I hope
you do, but its not really what this discussion is about.

Incidentally I have a friend working for one of the major accountancy
firms.
It recently COST them over £10,000 to have their old office furniture
removed.

More fool them.

I shudder to think what it cost them new. And yes it did end up being
offered for
re-sale by a dealer. In general terms used office furniture has a very low
value.

Irrelevant to fred's original stupid claim. He said nothing
about in general, he made an absolute NOBODY claim.

Even getting it for nothing is no guarantee of a profit.

No one said anything about guarantees except you and fred.

Collection costs, storage costs etc. etc. all have to be paid for.

Not necessarily if you can collect them yourself and store it for free.

Plenty of people can do both.

The water companies get their raw material
free but still have to charge for it.

Irrelevant to what is possible with office furniture.

No. Second hand tools as an investment vehicle just doesn't run.

Wrong, as always.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT
/no it hasnt. Rod and I /q