Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT car auction

If you are a car guy, you dream about finding stuff like this

http://blog.timesunion.com/classicca...nebraska/1823/

Included is a 1978 Corvette with 5 miles
A 1959 Chevy with 5 miles
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/16/2013 10:29 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

If you are a car guy, you dream about finding stuff like this

http://blog.timesunion.com/classicca...nebraska/1823/

Included is a 1978 Corvette with 5 miles
A 1959 Chevy with 5 miles

A Chevy Vega station wagon with 17 miles on it. Yea! That's what I need. ^_^

TDD
Senior Member

I expect a big selling point with the 1959 Chevy is that it doesn't have seat belts, thereby helping it's owner to save money on seat belt fines for years and years to come.

Last edited by nestork : August 17th 13 at 07:33 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote in
:

On 8/16/2013 10:29 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

If you are a car guy, you dream about finding stuff like this

http://blog.timesunion.com/classicca...ction-to-be-au
ctioned-lambrecht-chevy-dealership-pierce-nebraska/1823/

Included is a 1978 Corvette with 5 miles
A 1959 Chevy with 5 miles

A Chevy Vega station wagon with 17 miles on it. Yea! That's what I
need. ^_^

TDD

17 miles? I didn't think they lasted that long.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Aug 2013 11:01:34 +0000 (UTC), Red Green
wrote:

A Chevy Vega station wagon with 17 miles on it. Yea! That's what I
need. ^_^

TDD

17 miles? I didn't think they lasted that long.

It had an aluminum block engine. My brother had one and he moved
across the country. I drove it from Philadelphia to San Diego over
about 4 days. It was never the same after that, sustained 75 mph.
Used a lot of oil and he sold it soon afterwards.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Aug 2013 07:45:59 +0200, nestork
wrote:

I'm thinking that about the only practical thing you can do with a 1959
Chevy is to drive it in parades or rent it out to movie sets.

If I had a car like that, I expect I'd put it up for auction too. But
it behooves me to understand what the successful bidder would do with
it, other than to put it up for auction too.

Sanday afternoon drives.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

A Chevy Vega station wagon with 17 miles on it. Yea! That's what I
need. ^_^

TDD

17 miles? I didn't think they lasted that long.

It had an aluminum block engine. My brother had one and he moved
across the country. I drove it from Philadelphia to San Diego over
about 4 days. It was never the same after that, sustained 75 mph.
Used a lot of oil and he sold it soon afterwards.

And a few actually hit 100,000 miles. Just do not EVER overheat one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

nestork wrote:
I'm thinking that about the only practical thing you can do with a 1959
Chevy is to drive it in parades or rent it out to movie sets.

If I had a car like that, I expect I'd put it up for auction too. But
it behooves me to understand what the successful bidder would do with
it, other than to put it up for auction too.

I was watching the Mecum auction last night. This 69 Mustang, with 902
miles on it, sold for $550K.

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_de...=CA0813-161271

The plastic wrap is still on the seat belts, steering wheel and passenger
seat. Every decal, sticker, nut and bolt is original. Obviously this car
was purchased as nothing but an investment.

The announcers noted that someday that Mustang will be a million dollar
car. Obviously that million dollars will be impacted by inflation, but
thainvestment if the value continues to appreciate at the current rate.

In 44 years the car went from a selling price of about $4500 to $550K.
That's about 11% annually. At that rate it'll could worth over a million in
about 6 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Aug 2013 17:44:20 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

I was watching the Mecum auction last night. This 69 Mustang, with 902
miles on it, sold for $550K.

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_de...=CA0813-161271

The plastic wrap is still on the seat belts, steering wheel and passenger
seat. Every decal, sticker, nut and bolt is original. Obviously this car
was purchased as nothing but an investment.

The announcers noted that someday that Mustang will be a million dollar
car. Obviously that million dollars will be impacted by inflation, but
thainvestment if the value continues to appreciate at the current rate.

In 44 years the car went from a selling price of about $4500 to $550K.
That's about 11% annually. At that rate it'll could worth over a million in
about 6 years.

That was me that bid on it. I dropped my 401k and invested in
Mustangs at 11%. Better than the stock I had.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Aug 2013 14:21:20 -0600, "WW"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

And 44 years ago I had neither the money nor the balls to do such a
thing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

A Chevy Vega station wagon with 17 miles on it. Yea! That's what I
need. ^_^

TDD

17 miles? I didn't think they lasted that long.

It had an aluminum block engine. My brother had one and he moved
across the country. I drove it from Philadelphia to San Diego over
about 4 days. It was never the same after that, sustained 75 mph.
Used a lot of oil and he sold it soon afterwards.

I believe Chevy later came out with a warranty kit to install steel
cylinder liners as the only way to fix those engines or some aftermarket
manufacturer did it. I just remember that it was an experiment by GM to
have an aluminum block engine with pistons in an aluminum bore without
steel liners. It had to do with a high silicon content aluminum and the
cylinder bores etched to expose the silicon
for the piston rings to slide up and down on. Then there was "The Iron
Duke" 4 cylinder engine which was basically the same engine but made of
traditional castings and it was a very good engine. This is all from my
memory but I think I got it right or very close to what happened. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Aug 2013 17:44:20 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote in
Re
OT car auction:

In 44 years the car went from a selling price of about $4500 to $550K.
That's about 11% annually. At that rate it'll could worth over a million in
about 6 years.

What about deducting the cost of storage? Was the car stored in an old
barn or in an air conditioned storage facility? Were the tires and
other rubber changed in the 44 years? I would wild-guess storage and
maintenance at 1% per year.

Still a good investment if you love the car, but I'll stick with the
stock market. The S&P had a total annual return (incl. divs.) of
about 9.94% from 1970 to 2012
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%26P_5...annual_returns

IMO much easier to deal with than a car in storage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

CRNG wrote:
On Sat, 17 Aug 2013 17:44:20 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote in
Re
OT car auction:

In 44 years the car went from a selling price of about $4500 to $550K.
That's about 11% annually. At that rate it'll could worth over a million in
about 6 years.

What about deducting the cost of storage? Was the car stored in an old
barn or in an air conditioned storage facility? Were the tires and
other rubber changed in the 44 years? I would wild-guess storage and
maintenance at 1% per year.

Still a good investment if you love the car, but I'll stick with the
stock market. The S&P had a total annual return (incl. divs.) of
about 9.94% from 1970 to 2012
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%26P_5...annual_returns

IMO much easier to deal with than a car in storage.

Hmm...which investment vehicle (no pun intended) had the greater volatility
over that time period? How "easy" was the 37% drop in 2008?

BTW..were you 100% invested in the S&P 500 index (or a portfolio that
mimicked the S&P 500) from 1970 to 2012? Did you yourself experience that
average annual return of 9.94%? If so, did you subtract your investment
fees (both direct and hidden) from that figure?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/18/13 6:56 AM, CRNG wrote:

What about deducting the cost of storage? Was the car stored in an old
barn or in an air conditioned storage facility? Were the tires and
other rubber changed in the 44 years? I would wild-guess storage and
maintenance at 1% per year.

Still a good investment if you love the car, but I'll stick with the
stock market. The S&P had a total annual return (incl. divs.) of
about 9.94% from 1970 to 2012
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%26P_5...annual_returns

IMO much easier to deal with than a car in storage.

There's usually a yeahbut. Inflation is one of those.
There are bunches of charts showing inflation's effects on the stock
market. A couple he http://tinyurl.com/ld7n5cn
It doesn't look like dividends are included.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 13:09:18 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote in
Re
OT car auction:

CRNG wrote:
[...]

I'm pretty much a buy and hold investor; so I generally experience all
the ups and downs. Since 1973 when I started in the market my overall
total return after expenses but pre-tax has been about 10% or 12%
averaged over that period. Certainly you can cherry pick cases where
a car or stamp or coin or piece of real estate has done better; but
I'll stick with the liquidity of market securities.

Overall over a long period of time (30 or more years) history
indicates that no investment segment consistently outperforms any
other. If it did, everyone would flock to it. It's just a matter of
preference (over the long term). I was never good at short term trend
picks. To me, that's just gambling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

EdI sold my 1956T Bird in 1967 to buy a new Ford bronco. Got $1700. for
it. Sigh. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/16/13 10:29 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

If you are a car guy, you dream about finding stuff like this

http://blog.timesunion.com/classicca...nebraska/1823/

Included is a 1978 Corvette with 5 miles
A 1959 Chevy with 5 miles

Over $27 million for this car: http://tinyurl.com/lsmhlm5

I wish I would've known about this auction. My gallon jug of change
is almost full.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/18/2013 8:58 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 8/16/13 10:29 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

If you are a car guy, you dream about finding stuff like this

http://blog.timesunion.com/classicca...nebraska/1823/

Included is a 1978 Corvette with 5 miles
A 1959 Chevy with 5 miles

Over $27 million for this car: http://tinyurl.com/lsmhlm5

I wish I would've known about this auction. My gallon jug of change
is almost full.

Most of us cannot comprehend having that much to spend on a toy let
alone actually doing it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/18/13 8:43 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/18/2013 8:58 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 8/16/13 10:29 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

If you are a car guy, you dream about finding stuff like this

http://blog.timesunion.com/classicca...nebraska/1823/

Included is a 1978 Corvette with 5 miles
A 1959 Chevy with 5 miles

Over $27 million for this car: http://tinyurl.com/lsmhlm5

I wish I would've known about this auction. My gallon jug of change
is almost full.

Most of us cannot comprehend having that much to spend on a toy let
alone actually doing it.

I don't understand a lot of people's reasoning about money. I
was in a motorcycle shop one day and overheard a couple talking to a
salesman. They were talking about financing one. Huh?
Motorcycles in Nebraska a a luxury. One won't come out ahead using
one as a commuter vs. a car. I understand borrowing for a house or to
make major improvements to one's property. But borrowing money for a
toy makes no sense to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 21:09:08 -0500, Dean Hoffman
" wrote:

[...]

I don;'t get it either. In my whole life I have borrowed money once
for a used car, borrowed to go to college, and borrowed to buy my
house. Everything else, cash or go without.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 22:39:29 -0700, Ashton Crusher
wrote:

I don;'t get it either. In my whole life I have borrowed money once
for a used car, borrowed to go to college, and borrowed to buy my
house. Everything else, cash or go without.

I had too borrow monney to buy a box of condums las week cuz my whore
wood not do sex without proteckshun. i borrowd 50 dollas and buy big box
a condums. Aftar we got drunk we ****t all nite an used up hole box of
um.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 22:39:29 -0700, Ashton Crusher
wrote in Re OT car
auction:

I don't understand a lot of people's reasoning about money. I
was in a motorcycle shop one day and overheard a couple talking to a
salesman. They were talking about financing one. Huh?
Motorcycles in Nebraska a a luxury. One won't come out ahead using
one as a commuter vs. a car. I understand borrowing for a house or to
make major improvements to one's property. But borrowing money for a
toy makes no sense to me.

I don;'t get it either. In my whole life I have borrowed money once
for a used car, borrowed to go to college, and borrowed to buy my
house. Everything else, cash or go without.

Look at advertising. It's about addicting people to become
materialistic consumers in order to enrich the owners of the
production chain and (incidentally) keep employment up. IOW, it's
about making and keeping people wage-slaves.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/19/2013 10:09 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

I don't understand a lot of people's reasoning about money. I
was in a motorcycle shop one day and overheard a couple talking to a
salesman. They were talking about financing one. Huh?
Motorcycles in Nebraska a a luxury. One won't come out ahead using
one as a commuter vs. a car. I understand borrowing for a house or to
make major improvements to one's property. But borrowing money for a
toy makes no sense to me.

Seems that our economy is dependent on such things. I wonder how many
people either have or can even save up enough to make a purchase like
that. If you had to pay cash, sales would plummet. Hopefully, with a
tangible asset they can at least stay ahead of the depreciation.

How about the people that take a home equity loan so they can take a
fancy vacation? A woman at work wanted to take cash out of her 401k to
buy a big screen TV. I guess that is more important than retiring some
day.

Few people have any money management ability it seems. A conversation
came up at work recently. My shipper just bought a house and he is
going to need a new car soon. After closing on the house, he said he has
$4000 to put down. We have 20 employees. Of the 20, only four of us
have that much money in the bank. Everyone has it in the 401k that they
cannot touch, but for savings, some have less than $100.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/19/2013 7:09 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
[...]

instant gratification as opposed to delayed gratification

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

I blame the increasing cost of cars on credit. I guess to many
purchasers, $29,000 doesn't seem that much more unrealistic than $21,000.

Few people have any money management ability it seems. A conversation
came up at work recently. My shipper just bought a house and he is
going to need a new car soon. After closing on the house, he said he
has $4000 to put down. We have 20 employees. Of the 20, only four of
us have that much money in the bank. Everyone has it in the 401k that
they cannot touch, but for savings, some have less than $100.

Posted to alt.home.repair

chaniarts wrote:
[...]

Probably lots of people die with money in the bank and are/were none the
less happier because of it. In
fact, I think they were probably happier because of it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/20/2013 7:06 PM, Bill wrote:

Probably lots of people die with money in the bank and are/were none the
less happier because of it. In
fact, I think they were probably happier because of it.

I've had periods of little savings in my younger days. I'm happier
knowing if the refrigerator dies I have the cash to buy a new one. I
rnjoy vacations knowing I won't br in debt when we get home. If I knew
when I was going to die, I'd plan to die broke on the last day.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/20/2013 7:06 PM, Bill wrote:

Probably lots of people die with money in the bank and are/were none the
less happier because of it. In
fact, I think they were probably happier because of it.

I've had periods of little savings in my younger days. I'm happier
knowing if the refrigerator dies I have the cash to buy a new one. I
rnjoy vacations knowing I won't br in debt when we get home. If I
knew when I was going to die, I'd plan to die broke on the last day.

Because you'd otherwise feel unfulfilled? I'm like you in the sense
that I don't like to worry--any more than is already built into the game.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/18/13 8:43 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/18/2013 8:58 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 8/16/13 10:29 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

If you are a car guy, you dream about finding stuff like this

http://blog.timesunion.com/classicca...nebraska/1823/

Included is a 1978 Corvette with 5 miles
A 1959 Chevy with 5 miles

Over $27 million for this car: http://tinyurl.com/lsmhlm5

I wish I would've known about this auction. My gallon jug of change
is almost full.

Most of us cannot comprehend having that much to spend on a toy let
alone actually doing it.

The owner probably didn't either when he was a ten year old in an
orphanage. Story he http://tinyurl.com/k3ksroe
(PJ Media, Lifestyle section)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/22/2013 8:56 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 8/18/13 8:43 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/18/2013 8:58 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 8/16/13 10:29 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

If you are a car guy, you dream about finding stuff like this

http://blog.timesunion.com/classicca...nebraska/1823/

Included is a 1978 Corvette with 5 miles
A 1959 Chevy with 5 miles

Over $27 million for this car: http://tinyurl.com/lsmhlm5

I wish I would've known about this auction. My gallon jug of change
is almost full.

Most of us cannot comprehend having that much to spend on a toy let
alone actually doing it.

The owner probably didn't either when he was a ten year old in an
orphanage. Story he http://tinyurl.com/k3ksroe
(PJ Media, Lifestyle section)

What an amazing guy Mr. Smith was. I've found through life that the
people who are truly altruistic and charitable are often those who grew
up with nothing. Eddie Smith taught his children how to give back to a
world that's been good to them and has left a wonderful legacy. Gosh,
the country needs more people like Eddie Smith. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 20:56:30 -0500, Dean Hoffman
" wrote:

On 8/18/13 8:43 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/18/2013 8:58 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 8/16/13 10:29 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

If you are a car guy, you dream about finding stuff like this

http://blog.timesunion.com/classicca...nebraska/1823/

Included is a 1978 Corvette with 5 miles
A 1959 Chevy with 5 miles

Over $27 million for this car: http://tinyurl.com/lsmhlm5

I wish I would've known about this auction. My gallon jug of change
is almost full.

Most of us cannot comprehend having that much to spend on a toy let
alone actually doing it.

The owner probably didn't either when he was a ten year old in an
orphanage. Story he http://tinyurl.com/k3ksroe
(PJ Media, Lifestyle section)

Wow, a great story. I admire people like that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

What an amazing guy Mr. Smith was. I've found through life that the
people who are truly altruistic and charitable are often those who grew
up with nothing. Eddie Smith taught his children how to give back to a
world that's been good to them and has left a wonderful legacy. Gosh,
the country needs more people like Eddie Smith. ^_^

TDD

The middle and lower classes seem to despise the wealthier portion of
society. While there may be good reason in some cases, Eddie Smith is
to be admired. Everything he has, he earned. He uses what he earned to
help others. Wish I could have met him.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The reason is class envy politics.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 8/23/2013 9:13 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The middle and lower classes seem to despise the wealthier portion of
society. While there may be good reason in some cases, Eddie Smith is
to be admired. Everything he has, he earned. He uses what he earned to
help others. Wish I could have met him.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/22/2013 8:56 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 8/18/13 8:43 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Most of us cannot comprehend having that much to spend on a toy let
alone actually doing it.

The owner probably didn't either when he was a ten year old in an
orphanage. Story he http://tinyurl.com/k3ksroe
(PJ Media, Lifestyle section)

What an amazing guy Mr. Smith was. I've found through life that the
people who are truly altruistic and charitable are often those who grew
up with nothing. Eddie Smith taught his children how to give back to a
world that's been good to them and has left a wonderful legacy. Gosh,
the country needs more people like Eddie Smith. ^_^

TDD

There is a Dr. Ben Carson who also puts us mere mortals to shame.
His mom is quite a lady. She had only something like a 3rd grade
education yet made Ben and his brother write book reports for her.
She could barely read them.
Dr. Carson is/was a hot shot surgeon. His brother is/was a manager
at Honeywell. Dr. Carson gave a speech at the National Prayer
Breakfast. http://tinyurl.com/mfzcksl
(Youtube about 28 minutes.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/23/2013 5:45 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
[...]

Dr. Ben Carson is one of my heroes. It's too bad there aren't more great
Americans like him who have the respect of ALL the people. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/23/2013 8:13 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

What an amazing guy Mr. Smith was. I've found through life that the
people who are truly altruistic and charitable are often those who grew
up with nothing. Eddie Smith taught his children how to give back to a
world that's been good to them and has left a wonderful legacy. Gosh,
the country needs more people like Eddie Smith. ^_^

TDD

The middle and lower classes seem to despise the wealthier portion of
society. While there may be good reason in some cases, Eddie Smith is
to be admired. Everything he has, he earned. He uses what he earned to
help others. Wish I could have met him.

I've never despised anyone who made their wealth through hard work
unless that wealth was obtained through theft. I know people like that
and in this area, a few who have made a great deal of money through
nefarious means are now in prison. The class/wealth warfare that exists
in the United States is purulent pathological propaganda purposely
promoted pursuing proletariat public political protest propagating
progressively portending probable pogroms against moneyed people. This
poppycock is promulgated by Commiecrat politicians and all of the
Liberal/Leftist press worldwide. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I was inspired and in my subconscious must have thought of Dennis
Miller. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 15:21:51 -0400, Bill
wrote:

There are exceptions. Some people their occupation isn't work (I'm
sure you wouldn't like to acknowledge priests in this class).

Like you suggested above, I think the trick is to choose an occupation
that isn't "all work".
That's why many people try to go into jobs consistent with their
interests. Some don't.

Friends often ask me when I'm going to retire. I have no plans for a
couple of more years at least. Going to work for me is about as
enjoyable as going to the coffee shop to met some friends. First
thing I do is make a pot of tea and sit with one of my co-workers for
an hour. Then I go out to the shop and see every employee to say "good
morning" and make sure everything is OK with them.

Of 15 employees, 6 of us are over 60. Two recent retirees were 76 and
75.

If I was putting wheels and lug nuts on cars as they went down the
assembly line, I'd have been out two years ago.

auction day Karl Townsend Metalworking 9 June 25th 11 01:50 PM
If you have a closet full of clothes that you would like to sell,consider using an online auction site or consignment store to sell them tointerested consumers. Online auction sites will sell your used clothes to thehighest bidder and will require yo [email protected] UK diy 0 April 19th 08 11:30 AM
New free auction website to auction off your work. Lenny C Woodworking 1 March 7th 06 01:46 AM
Auction klaatu Woodworking 8 November 11th 05 01:55 PM
Auction Brian Combs Woodturning 0 August 21st 04 04:27 AM