Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A day at the auction

Went to preview the auction today.

What I saw reminds me of what I forgot. What employees can do to your
"stuff".

In all, there were a few pearls in the piles of shells, and we'll see how it
goes tomorrow.

Most everything was thoroughly used and abused. I only saw one new tool, a
DeWalt planer. A nice Dayton band saw, which we have marked to watch.

There was a ****load of stuff. All well worn. They musta seen it coming,
and just run everything into the ground.

I'm very glad that we went early. We dug and identified where our treasure
was, came home, found out prices, and have a marked list on just the things
we're going after. For the guys who didn't go today, they won't know.
There were about 12 3.5 ton NAPA floor jacks. We tried every one, and four
don't work. We know which four. There is also one that is a race jack,
going all the way up in 3 pumps. It's one of the last, and we hope by then,
they're selling cheap or two-fer. But we'll watch as guys buy dead jacks

We also met two professional buyers, one a trailer manufacturer from Arizona
who gave us a heads up. My friend is looking for axles. The guy told us
that he will offer a lump sum for all, allowed by this auctioneer. He also
agreed to sell my friend the two or three he needs for cash. I imagine he
might be selling a few right after the auction if the guys can get ahold of
him quick. But at least we know who the guy is. We wouldn't have if we
hadn't gone today. He said that the big fish are not interested one whit in
the hand tools, so that should be good pickins unless the stupid locals bid
stuff up.

We asked about auctions nationwide, and he said everything's just about gone
from the Midwest, business-wise.

The welding stuff was C-R-A-P! I forgot just how much employees can mess
stuff up. All the Vise Grip clamps have something welded on, or the jaw
tips burnt off. All the regulators put up with the T handles cranked down,
needles stuck here and there. Everything looked like it had been in a
hammer fight. One Lincoln Precision TIG 275 that looks clean. It looks
like everyone MIGged, and only a few stick or TIG welded.

Two frickin HUGE pallets of air hoses, connectors and all, probably 1,000
feet each of 50 and 100' pieces. Too bad I'd have to buy so many, but if
the price is right ........... I could do my shop, and sell the rest.

Two nice clean Lincoln IdealArc 250s that are mounted high that are real
clean. I guess they didn't do a lot of stick.

Interested in what about 1,000# of E70S-6 .035 wire is going to sell for,
and about eight 4" x 6" x 36" boxes of aluminum TIG rods will go for.

There were many trailers in stages of production. The welds were visible.
Man, how can anyone weld MIG so bad? I can teach a monkey to do it in less
than an hour. For a quality name trailer, there's a lot of stuff under the
skin.

I have researched all prices of the items we want to bid on, and those of
just things we find curious so that as it goes, we can know how the bidders
are doing.

I have a 17 page list of 1329 lots that I am going to try to keep track of
what sells for what to get a feel for this.

Tomorrow is the auction. It is supposed to be a clear sunny calm day here.
Been blowing forty forever.

This is a major company with four plants nationwide. Things are getting
rocky.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 19, 4:38*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
[...]

What with this.... "What employees can do to your "stuff"",..... " I
forgot just how much employees can mess stuff up. " crap?

Employees use what tools management provides them.

It is quite obvious from your description that Pace Am has been riding
on its name for years.

And the employees have been using crap tools to do crap work...while
Pace Am charged the customer everything they could.

As for the welds...ever consider that a company who won't buy tools
for the employees is likely paying crap wages and getting marginal
labor to do the work.

I have had several Pace Am trailers and have always considered them to
be marginal at best for a trailer company.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-19, Steve B wrote:
[...]

Steve, awesome report.

Do research prices on those welders, MIG and Idealarc. With a little
loving touch and a cleanup, testing and cleaning up the welding wire,
you may make some good money.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-20, Ignoramus8679 wrote:
Do research prices on those welders, MIG and Idealarc. With a little
loving touch and a cleanup, testing and cleaning up the welding wire,
you may make some good money.

I meant welding cables
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus8679" wrote

Steve, awesome report.

Do research prices on those welders, MIG and Idealarc. With a little
loving touch and a cleanup, testing and cleaning up the welding wire,
you may make some good money.

God damn it, I forget it when I do that. I wrote to say that there are two
30 hp IR Horizontal Tank Mounted compressor, model SSRUP6-30-125. New is
$17,000. Used, they have sold recently for $6,000 to $9750. 28,000 hours
on these .............. Impressive looking guts under a nice cabinet.
Doesn't look anything like a compressor. All sorts of filters and such.

As I said, I have several items marked just to watch and see how they do
against the average.

I'll report tomorrow.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-20, Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus8679" wrote

Steve, awesome report.

Do research prices on those welders, MIG and Idealarc. With a little
loving touch and a cleanup, testing and cleaning up the welding wire,
you may make some good money.

God damn it, I forget it when I do that. I wrote to say that there are two
30 hp IR Horizontal Tank Mounted compressor, model SSRUP6-30-125. New is
$17,000. Used, they have sold recently for $6,000 to $9750. 28,000 hours
on these .............. Impressive looking guts under a nice cabinet.
Doesn't look anything like a compressor. All sorts of filters and such.

I sold two similar screw compressors before, so I made myself learn a
little about it. This is just about the age when air ends need to be
rebuilt. Ask someone, if you can, whether that was done or not.

Let us know how it goes.

As I said, I have several items marked just to watch and see how they do
against the average.

I'll report tomorrow.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 19, 4:38*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
[...]

Bet you that the locals will run the small stuff way up.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-20, Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus8679" wrote

[...]

Not rebuilt. The 30 hp went for $2500. 15 hp IR $800.

See my post when I put up a recap. Right now, I'm hammered.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-20, Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus8679" wrote

[...]

Very nice. I bought two screw compressors in the past.

A beautiful 25 HP Sullivan Palatek with 22k hours for $1,600 plus BP,
and an ugly 50 HP Sullair with 22k hours also (conincidence) for $800.
After cleaning, the Sullair was not as ugly.

Awaiting your recap.