Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default homebrew sonos

Spotify on Linux PC - check
Spotcommander remote on tablet & mobile - check
Linux streaming apps abound - halfcheck

So HTF do I connect my trad WiFi to a resultant 'stream'??

TIA

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2014 10:22, JimK wrote:
Spotify on Linux PC - check
Spotcommander remote on tablet & mobile - check
Linux streaming apps abound - halfcheck

So HTF do I connect my trad WiFi to a resultant 'stream'??

TIA

Not really diy but....

You don't connect your WiFi to the stream (the stream is already using
your WiFi connection if set up correctly) - you connect a device,
usually Android powered, with media player client software on it to the
stream. This device would then be connected using bluetooth or a wired
connection to the speaker.

The easiest way of doing this is to use Google Play Music to stream
music to a Chromecast device connected to a television with audio output
connected to speakers. It requires no technical knowledge and the setup
works out of the box.

It costs about £30 plus the cost of the speaker compared to £350 for a
Sonos 5 (plus a bridge).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JimK wrote:
Spotify on Linux PC - check
Spotcommander remote on tablet & mobile - check
Linux streaming apps abound - halfcheck

So HTF do I connect my trad WiFi to a resultant 'stream'??

Did you perhaps mean "trad HiFi"?

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/14 10:22, JimK wrote:
Spotify on Linux PC - check
Spotcommander remote on tablet & mobile - check
Linux streaming apps abound - halfcheck

So HTF do I connect my trad WiFi to a resultant 'stream'??

TIA

Jim K

As an IT pro for many years could you restate that in english?

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 29 June 2014 11:56:17 UTC+1, Mike Barnes wrote:
JimK wrote:

Spotify on Linux PC - check

Spotcommander remote on tablet & mobile - check

Linux streaming apps abound - halfcheck

So HTF do I connect my trad WiFi to a resultant 'stream'??

Did you perhaps mean "trad HiFi"?

you are a scholar sir!

Bloody Android auto correct!!

NB Is it really as hard as TurNiP is making out?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 29 June 2014 10:43:37 UTC+1, Gareth Davies wrote:
On 29/06/2014 10:22, JimK wrote:

Spotify on Linux PC - check

Spotcommander remote on tablet & mobile - check

Linux streaming apps abound - halfcheck

So HTF do I connect my trad WiFi to a resultant 'stream'??

TIA

Not really diy but....

in what sense?!

You don't connect your WiFi to the stream (the stream is already using
your WiFi connection if set up correctly) - you connect a device,
usually Android powered, with media player client software on it to the
stream. This device would then be connected using bluetooth or a wired
connection to the speaker.

OK "hifi" got autocorrected GRRR to "wifi"

So how /what would I connect my old school HIFI to the stream over the wifi?

TIA

Jim K

The easiest way of doing this is to use Google Play Music to stream

music to a Chromecast device connected to a television with audio output

connected to speakers. It requires no technical knowledge and the setup

works out of the box.

It costs about �30 plus the cost of the speaker compared to �350 for a

Sonos 5 (plus a bridge).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JimK wrote:

Spotify on Linux PC - check

Spotcommander remote on tablet & mobile - check

Linux streaming apps abound - halfcheck

So HTF do I connect my trad WiFi to a resultant 'stream'??

Did you perhaps mean "trad HiFi"?

you are a scholar sir!

Bloody Android auto correct!!

NB Is it really as hard as TurNiP is making out?

Linux streaming apps? Don't see the point. I'm a Windows man but I
assume that Spotify on Linux can output to the PC's audio sockets. Then
just run a screened audio cable to the AUX input of your amp. That's
what I do. Were you perhaps wanting to do it wirelessly? If so,
Bluetooth could be the answer, depending.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JimK wrote:

Spotify on Linux PC - check

Spotcommander remote on tablet & mobile - check

Linux streaming apps abound - halfcheck

So HTF do I connect my trad WiFi to a resultant 'stream'??

Did you perhaps mean "trad HiFi"?

you are a scholar sir!

Bloody Android auto correct!!

NB Is it really as hard as TurNiP is making out?

Linux streaming apps? Don't see the point. I'm a Windows man but I

assume that Spotify on Linux can output to the PC's audio sockets. Then

just run a screened audio cable to the AUX input of your amp. That's

what I do. Were you perhaps wanting to do it wirelessly? If so,

Bluetooth could be the answer, depending.

MMM
PC's in a different room,
current tablet no bluetooth (also V low level 3.5mm jack output)
Hifi not near router

so preferably wirelessly - somehow?!

What is it called? :- connects to "wifi" network; receives audio stream; does DAC; has 2 phono plugs (or a 3.5mm socket at normal line level) to connect into old skool amp of hifi? -

that's all there is to do.

Spotify is running on remote PC, remotely controlled by wireless android devices running Spotcommander...

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JimK wrote:

[...]

Sounds like a raspberry pi or similar...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JimK wrote:

Spotify on Linux PC - check

Spotcommander remote on tablet & mobile - check

Linux streaming apps abound - halfcheck

So HTF do I connect my trad WiFi to a resultant 'stream'??

Did you perhaps mean "trad HiFi"?

you are a scholar sir!

Bloody Android auto correct!!

NB Is it really as hard as TurNiP is making out?

Linux streaming apps? Don't see the point. I'm a Windows man but I

assume that Spotify on Linux can output to the PC's audio sockets.
Then

just run a screened audio cable to the AUX input of your amp.
That's

what I do. Were you perhaps wanting to do it wirelessly? If so,

Bluetooth could be the answer, depending.

MMM PC's in a different room, current tablet no bluetooth (also V low
level 3.5mm jack output) Hifi not near router

I ran thin screened audio cable from the PC to two amps in two other
rooms (in addition to the amp in the same room). It was a bit of work
running the wiring but not something I've ever regretted doing. Cheap as
chips, unbeatable reliability, unbeatable sound quality.

so preferably wirelessly - somehow?!

What is it called? :- connects to "wifi" network; receives audio
stream; does DAC; has 2 phono plugs (or a 3.5mm socket at normal line
level) to connect into old skool amp of hifi? -

that's all there is to do.

If it was me I'd be looking at a bluetooth adapter for the PC and
Chordette Gem for the amp, as long as the distance isn't too great. But
you wouldn't be saving any money that way and you can connect only one amp.

I vaguely seem to recall hearing about a more budget-friendly competitor
but I forget its name, sorry.

BTW I've tried several FM and 2.4 GHz transmitters, all hopeless.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2014 10:22, JimK wrote:

Spotify on Linux PC - check

Spotcommander remote on tablet & mobile - check

Linux streaming apps abound - halfcheck

So HTF do I connect my trad WiFi to a resultant 'stream'??

TIA

Not really diy but....

in what sense?!

You don't connect your WiFi to the stream (the stream is already using
your WiFi connection if set up correctly) - you connect a device,
usually Android powered, with media player client software on it to the
stream. This device would then be connected using bluetooth or a wired
connection to the speaker.

OK "hifi" got autocorrected GRRR to "wifi"

So how /what would I connect my old school HIFI to the stream over the wifi?

Do you have a TOS link or similar on both devices?
If so use that.

Cheap, use a 3.5 mm jack plugged into your sound card output with a
couple of phonos to plug into you HiFi.

If you want better sound buy an amp with built in streaming or a USB
HiFi sound card.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2014 17:57, JimK wrote:

What is it called? :- connects to "wifi" network; receives audio
stream; does DAC; has 2 phono plugs (or a 3.5mm socket at normal line
level) to connect into old skool amp of hifi? -

My Pure DAB radio can do that.
It can also stream stuff without the PC from some sources.

maybe a media streamer like

http://www.amazon.co.uk/JUSTOP-Droib.../dp/B00CLZ7BP4

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Jun 2014 18:32:01 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

What is it called? :- connects to "wifi" network; receives audio
stream; does DAC; has 2 phono plugs (or a 3.5mm socket at normal

line
level) to connect into old skool amp of hifi? -

Sounds like a raspberry pi or similar...

A Pi ought to be able to that. I have one set up as a "media player"
running RaspBMC, I think that can do audio streams as well but not
fiddled with that.

"media player" are the keywords for google. There was (is?) a well
thought of Western Digital one for about £70 but be aware many are
geared to playback of video rather than plain audio so that side
might be a bit lacking.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John Rumm wrote:
On 29/06/2014 17:57, JimK wrote:

What is it called? :- connects to "wifi" network; receives audio
stream; does DAC; has 2 phono plugs (or a 3.5mm socket at normal line
level) to connect into old skool amp of hifi? -

Sounds like a raspberry pi or similar...

Possibly with HifiBerry, Wolfson audio card, IQaudIO Pi-DAC, or something
from http://www.raspyfi.com/the-right-usb...-raspberry-pi/
rather than use the standard 3.5mm built in audio.

(I'm sure there must be an off the shelf solution (short of buying a Sonos
Bridge and Sonos Connect), but I don't remember seeing one. Thousands of
media players with HDMI out, a handful of which have phone as well:
http://www.dx.com/c/consumer-electro...ers-103?page=2
I expect some of them could be set up to listen to your stream and play
that without needing you to need the remote and a TV/monitor once they
were set up. Especially if you can read Chinese :-) )

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/14 10:22, JimK wrote:
Spotify on Linux PC - check
Spotcommander remote on tablet & mobile - check
Linux streaming apps abound - halfcheck

So HTF do I connect my trad WiFi to a resultant 'stream'??

icecast + darkice

--
Adrian C

Homebrew coolant F Murtz Metalworking 9 July 5th 12 12:02 PM
PEX for homebrew ............. Steve B[_13_] Home Repair 7 November 28th 11 08:32 PM
OTish - sonos type wireless streaming audio - PC and network requirements?? Jim K[_3_] UK diy 4 November 29th 10 10:29 AM
homebrew preservative? JEB Woodturning 11 August 29th 05 06:17 AM
homebrew steel die Lefteris Metalworking 6 January 19th 04 04:07 PM