Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Homebrew coolant

Anyone know of a cheap homebrew water soluble coolant for general
milling and turning?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Water with borax, as in grocery store laundry supplies, work. The borax
inhibits rusting - about 1 part per 100 of water by weight seems adequate.
1 part per thousand is inadequate.

Hul

F Murtz wrote:
Anyone know of a cheap homebrew water soluble coolant for general
milling and turning?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Has anyone tried the water pump lubricant sold at auto parts stores for
people who don't run antifreeze and need the lubrication and corrosion
protection? I've used Prestone brand in race cars, but never thought to try
it as a soluble oil on a mill or lathe. Bout $6-8 a bottle that is supposed
to treat 3-4 gallons of water in the radiator and engine, since you'll lose
it pretty fast from evaporation and spattering I'd go at least twice that
amount of water.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames

F Murtz wrote:
Anyone know of a cheap homebrew water soluble coolant for general
milling and turning?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

F Murtz wrote in news:yU6Ir.9058$%E2.7655
@viwinnwfe01.internal.bigpond.com:

Anyone know of a cheap homebrew water soluble coolant for general
milling and turning?

A freelance custom machinist I knew just kept a can of Crisco handy.

Doug White

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Doug White fired this volley in
:

Anyone know of a cheap homebrew water soluble coolant for general
milling and turning?

A freelance custom machinist I knew just kept a can of Crisco handy.

When did Crisco become water-soluble?

LLoyd

PEX for homebrew ............. Steve B[_13_] Home Repair 7 November 28th 11 08:32 PM
fa: nice little lubrication pump (coolant? maybe it will do coolant?) or tapping oil Bill Noble[_2_] Metalworking 0 July 12th 10 07:09 AM
homebrew degreasant Jules[_2_] UK diy 10 July 26th 09 09:34 AM
homebrew steel die Lefteris Metalworking 6 January 19th 04 04:07 PM
Homebrew misting coolant system for small mills del Metalworking 9 November 13th 03 05:30 PM