Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default homebrew degreasant

What with a very oily engine sitting on the bench awaiting clean up,
thought I'd ask - are there any good 'homebrew' recipes for liquid
degreasant?

I used to really like Gunk, but you can't get it on this side of the
Atlantic, and I've not been able to find any brush-on equivalent (the Goop
paste seems to work really well for hands, and I found something-or-other
in a spray can at the store yesterday which I've yet to try, but some
brush-on stuff ala Gunk would be nice)

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Jules
saying something like:

What with a very oily engine sitting on the bench awaiting clean up,
thought I'd ask - are there any good 'homebrew' recipes for liquid
degreasant?

Biodiesel.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jules" wrote in message
news

What with a very oily engine sitting on the bench awaiting clean up,
thought I'd ask - are there any good 'homebrew' recipes for liquid
degreasant?

I used to really like Gunk, but you can't get it on this side of the
Atlantic, and I've not been able to find any brush-on equivalent (the Goop
paste seems to work really well for hands, and I found something-or-other
in a spray can at the store yesterday which I've yet to try, but some
brush-on stuff ala Gunk would be nice)

I have vague recollections of my father using paraffin and a paint brush on
his old motorcycle engine although I can't remember whether he added
anything, though I think not.
--
Keith W
Sunbury on Thames

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gel Gel is offline

On 24 July, 14:37, "Keith W"
wrote:
"Jules" wrote in message

news

What with a very oily engine sitting on the bench awaiting clean up,
thought I'd ask - are there any good 'homebrew' recipes for liquid
degreasant?

Assume you're Stateside?

See
http://www.gunk.com/prod_photo.asp?img=LG_CL128.jpg

I have used Jeyes Fluid in past but haven't had need for years;
whether current formualtion is up to job I'm not certain.

I used to really like Gunk, but you can't get it on this side of the
Atlantic, and I've not been able to find any brush-on equivalent (the Goop
paste seems to work really well for hands, and I found something-or-other
in a spray can at the store yesterday which I've yet to try, but some
brush-on stuff ala Gunk would be nice)

I have vague recollections of my father using paraffin and a paint brush on
his old motorcycle engine although I can't remember whether he added
anything, though I think not.
--
Keith W
Sunbury on Thames
(If you can't laugh at life, it ain't worth living)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 14:37:48 +0100, Keith W wrote:

"Jules" wrote in message
news

What with a very oily engine sitting on the bench awaiting clean up,
thought I'd ask - are there any good 'homebrew' recipes for liquid
degreasant?

I used to really like Gunk, but you can't get it on this side of the
Atlantic, and I've not been able to find any brush-on equivalent (the Goop
paste seems to work really well for hands, and I found something-or-other
in a spray can at the store yesterday which I've yet to try, but some
brush-on stuff ala Gunk would be nice)

I have vague recollections of my father using paraffin and a paint brush on
his old motorcycle engine although I can't remember whether he added
anything, though I think not.

Hmm, definitely plausible - the aforementioned Goop is paraffin along with
some other things, according to the ingredients. I'll have a dig around in
case I have any in a cupboard somewhere.

I've found that the spray stuff I mentioned sort-of works, but it's
impossible to spray it in a thin coating, and so it ends up taking a lot
of it to clean even a small area.

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 07:32:43 -0700, Gel wrote:
Assume you're Stateside?

See
http://www.gunk.com/prod_photo.asp?img=LG_CL128.jpg

Interesting. The Gunk brand seemed to be something else this side of
the Pond, and I've not seen 'that' Gunk in any of the parts places around
here - but then it is a smaller town. I'll be down in the 'nearby' (5 hour
drive!) city in a few weeks' time, so I'll take a look when down there and
stock up if I find any...

I have used Jeyes Fluid in past but haven't had need for years; whether
current formualtion is up to job I'm not certain.

Hmm, not sure if that exists here or not - I'll have to take a look...

cheers!

J.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 24, 1:07*pm, Jules
wrote:
What with a very oily engine sitting on the bench awaiting clean up,
thought I'd ask - are there any good 'homebrew' recipes for liquid
degreasant?

I used to really like Gunk, but you can't get it on this side of the
Atlantic, and I've not been able to find any brush-on equivalent (the Goop
paste seems to work really well for hands, and I found something-or-other
in a spray can at the store yesterday which I've yet to try, but some
brush-on stuff ala Gunk would be nice)

cheers

Jules

Paraffin's the stuff to use

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 11:59:27 -0500, Jules
wrote:

Hmm, definitely plausible - the aforementioned Goop is paraffin along with
some other things, according to the ingredients. I'll have a dig around in
case I have any in a cupboard somewhere.

As Grimley has already said Bio diesel is an excellent degreaser. If
you chose to make your own then you have the added advantage of
producing glycerine as a by-product so you can use this to clean your
hands afterwards.

http://www-biodiesel.com/wordpress/m...king-biodiesel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
On Jul 24, 1:07 pm, Jules
wrote:
What with a very oily engine sitting on the bench awaiting clean up,
thought I'd ask - are there any good 'homebrew' recipes for liquid
degreasant?

I used to really like Gunk, but you can't get it on this side of the
Atlantic, and I've not been able to find any brush-on equivalent (the Goop
paste seems to work really well for hands, and I found something-or-other
in a spray can at the store yesterday which I've yet to try, but some
brush-on stuff ala Gunk would be nice)

cheers

Jules

Paraffin's the stuff to use

I've made a usable sort of swarfega from washing up liquid and white
spirit, petrol or diesel.

Very similar to Gunk if used at low detergent concentrations.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
Jules wrote:
What with a very oily engine sitting on the bench awaiting clean up,
thought I'd ask - are there any good 'homebrew' recipes for liquid
degreasant?

I used to really like Gunk, but you can't get it on this side of the
Atlantic, and I've not been able to find any brush-on equivalent (the
Goop paste seems to work really well for hands, and I found
something-or-other in a spray can at the store yesterday which I've yet
to try, but some brush-on stuff ala Gunk would be nice)

I use petrol for this. Cheaper than Gunk and more effective. Best to do it
outdoors, though. Might need a couple of goes - changing the petrol when
it's dirty.

--
*Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
NT wrote:
On Jul 24, 1:07 pm, Jules
wrote:
What with a very oily engine sitting on the bench awaiting clean up,
thought I'd ask - are there any good 'homebrew' recipes for liquid
degreasant?

I used to really like Gunk, but you can't get it on this side of the
Atlantic, and I've not been able to find any brush-on equivalent
(the Goop paste seems to work really well for hands, and I found
something-or-other in a spray can at the store yesterday which I've
yet to try, but some brush-on stuff ala Gunk would be nice)

cheers

Jules

Paraffin's the stuff to use

I've made a usable sort of swarfega from washing up liquid and white
spirit, petrol or diesel.

Very similar to Gunk if used at low detergent concentrations.

Used to do something similar years ago to clean really bad fabric car seats.
Mixture of dry cleaning solvent & hard surface cleaner. Worked a treat, but
a very short life. The detergent 'ate' the solvent.

IIUC they have now found a way of having a solvent & a detergent in the same
product that remains stable, which is why some modern cleaners are so good.
Fairy Power Spray for example.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk