Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OTish - sonos type wireless streaming audio - PC and network requirements??

Anyone got a setup? what spec is needed for the fileserving host PC &
how quick a network do you need?
Or if I am sticking with the Ipod and buying a decent sounding dock
for Xmas with DAB in it - what do I buy/not buy?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2010 20:12, Jim K wrote:
Anyone got a setup? what spec is needed for the fileserving host PC&
how quick a network do you need?
Or if I am sticking with the Ipod and buying a decent sounding dock
for Xmas with DAB in it - what do I buy/not buy?

Well I've recently acquired a Western Digital Live Media Player, which
streams video (as well as audio) very happily on a wired network form m
my ancient Dell (vintage ~2003/1Mb RAM/2.5GHz processor) - I love it

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, Jim
K writes
Anyone got a setup? what spec is needed for the fileserving host PC &
how quick a network do you need?
Or if I am sticking with the Ipod and buying a decent sounding dock
for Xmas with DAB in it - what do I buy/not buy?

You could look at one of these

You have half an hour to buy it

http://email.ibood.com/447/newslette...&messageid=34&
password=B3A2C1A6

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message
Anyone got a setup? what spec is needed for the fileserving host PC &
how quick a network do you need?

I've had a Sonos setup for about 18 months now and think it's excellent but
would advise against using a dedicated PC and instead buy a small, low-power
NAS device. The (non-Sonos) network only needs to be able to support audio
and the bitrate of the most demanding file so even uncompressed WAV isn't
going to be a significant load on a 10Mbps or 54g network.

The network requirements page is available online he
http://sonos.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/so...php?p_faqid=77

Contrary to the note, I have wired a ZonePlayer into an Ethernet over Power
device and it works without hitch.

Stuart

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The network requirements page is available online hehttp://sonos.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/so.../std_adp.php?p...

Contrary to the note, I have wired a ZonePlayer into an Ethernet over Power
device and it works without hitch.

Stuart

thanks for the detail

Jim K