Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim K[_3_] Jim K[_3_] is offline

Default OTish - sonos type wireless streaming audio - PC and network requirements??

On Nov 29, 9:24 am, "Stuart Kenny" wrote:
"Jim K" wrote in message

Anyone got a setup? what spec is needed for the fileserving host PC &
how quick a network do you need?

I've had a Sonos setup for about 18 months now and think it's excellent but
would advise against using a dedicated PC and instead buy a small, low-power
NAS device. The (non-Sonos) network only needs to be able to support audio
and the bitrate of the most demanding file so even uncompressed WAV isn't
going to be a significant load on a 10Mbps or 54g network.

The network requirements page is available online hehttp://sonos.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/so.../std_adp.php?p...

Contrary to the note, I have wired a ZonePlayer into an Ethernet over Power
device and it works without hitch.

Stuart

thanks for the detail

Jim K