Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Health and safety out of control

http://petersphotos.com/temp/Plants.jpg

--
Don't take life so seriously, it's not permanent.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news
http://petersphotos.com/temp/Plants.jpg

Site blocked by Maleware Bytes!

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Why? It's a jpeg ffs. Why do you use such ********?

--
When your pet bird sees you reading the newspaper, does it wonder why you're sitting there staring at carpeting?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news http://petersphotos.com/temp/Plants.jpg

Site blocked by Maleware Bytes!

Why? It's a jpeg ffs. Why do you use such ********?

I expect he's using Windows ****e.

I've always used Windows and never had a problem opening a jpeg. Malware Bytes is an OCD firewall or something.

--
Old statisticians never die. They just get broken down by age and sex.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW scribbled...

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news
http://petersphotos.com/temp/Plants.jpg

Site blocked by Maleware Bytes!

That would be the special Parrot ****wit Troll Filter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/06/2014 22:14, ARW wrote:
"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news
http://petersphotos.com/temp/Plants.jpg

Site blocked by Maleware Bytes!

The *site* might well be hostile (the OP seems to be). However, the URL
is a link to a harmless bog standard JFIF JPEG saved with IJG Q=85.

The warning is probably because the houseplants from commercial growers
have been dosed with a persistent systemic pesticide that renders the
plant toxic to sap sucking insects and potentially harmful to humans.

You often get bay and citrus trees from garden centres with a warning
not to eat any of the fruit that season. I wonder how many people do?

Given that I have seen oleander on sale in supermarkets without adequate
warnings of its very serious toxicity to humans. It is telling that they
warn of skin and eye irritation. I wonder if one of them was a euphorbia
- the sap from them can cause excruciating pain in the eyes.

General rule of thumb is sap runs clear is OK sap is milky latex then
beware (counter example is lettuce which is safe to eat).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

Site blocked by Maleware Bytes!

The *site* might well be hostile

Perhaps the software has noticed that the whois information for
petersphotos.com is obviously fake.

-- Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Jun 2014 09:45:58 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

You often get bay and citrus trees from garden centres with a warning
not to eat any of the fruit that season. I wonder how many people do?

Given that I have seen oleander on sale in supermarkets without adequate
warnings of its very serious toxicity to humans. It is telling that they
warn of skin and eye irritation. I wonder if one of them was a euphorbia
- the sap from them can cause excruciating pain in the eyes.

General rule of thumb is sap runs clear is OK sap is milky latex then
beware (counter example is lettuce which is safe to eat).

A well known supermarket with an orange theme in its branding has a habit of
placing daffodils for sale on its vegetable stands.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/06/2014 22:14, ARW wrote:
"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news
http://petersphotos.com/temp/Plants.jpg

Site blocked by Maleware Bytes!

The *site* might well be hostile (the OP seems to be). However, the URL
is a link to a harmless bog standard JFIF JPEG saved with IJG Q=85.

The site is on a free server so could contain any number of dodgy pages too. It depends if the block was for my domain name, or the server's IP.

The warning is probably because the houseplants from commercial growers
have been dosed with a persistent systemic pesticide that renders the
plant toxic to sap sucking insects and potentially harmful to humans.

I wish they wouldn't do that. I've got some plants here that produce tremendous quantities of sap all over their leaves and somehow splattered onto the window they are next to. I'd appreciate some insects to eat it.

Anyway, nobody would be stupid enough to think a houseplant was food, so they don't need the warning.

You often get bay and citrus trees from garden centres with a warning
not to eat any of the fruit that season. I wonder how many people do?

Everybody I would imagine, nobody reads daft warnings like that. I go by my stomach and tastebuds. If I'm out camping and eat something that tastes very bitter, I spit it out. If it tastes ok but I get indigestion afterwards, I don't eat it again (which seldom happens as most plants that are poisonous also taste bad, to prevent the animal eating them, rather then just making it ill after the plant's already lost half it's leaves).

Given that I have seen oleander on sale in supermarkets without adequate
warnings of its very serious toxicity to humans. It is telling that they
warn of skin and eye irritation. I wonder if one of them was a euphorbia
- the sap from them can cause excruciating pain in the eyes.

I'll try to remember not to use it as a tissue then....

General rule of thumb is sap runs clear is OK sap is milky latex then
beware (counter example is lettuce which is safe to eat).

I've never seen lettuce sap.

--
For the really paranoid who want to destroy data there's nothing like taking the lid off the disk drive and rearranging the sectors with a hammer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Jun 2014 08:08:46 +0100, Jabba wrote:

ARW scribbled...

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news
http://petersphotos.com/temp/Plants.jpg

Site blocked by Maleware Bytes!

That would be the special Parrot ****wit Troll Filter.

Oh dear, another fool who thinks someone with an opinion differing to their own must be a troll.

--
Tip of the day: Do not fart in the bath while you have the runs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Jun 2014 22:05:26 +0100, Uncle Peter wrote:

http://petersphotos.com/temp/Plants.jpg

And this one is an indoor clothes line. What next? Banning children from having a ball of string?
http://petersphotos.com/temp/Clothes%20line.jpg

--
What the best way to get a guy to stop smoking after sex?
Fill his waterbed with gasoline.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Uncle Peter scribbled...

On Wed, 04 Jun 2014 08:08:46 +0100, Jabba wrote:

ARW scribbled...

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news http://petersphotos.com/temp/Plants.jpg

Site blocked by Maleware Bytes!

That would be the special Parrot ****wit Troll Filter.

Oh dear, another fool who thinks someone with an opinion differing to their own must be a troll.

A poster who knows what a sad ****wit you are.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Jun 2014 21:14:06 +0100, Jabba wrote:

Uncle Peter scribbled...

On Wed, 04 Jun 2014 08:08:46 +0100, Jabba wrote:

ARW scribbled...

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news http://petersphotos.com/temp/Plants.jpg

Site blocked by Maleware Bytes!

That would be the special Parrot ****wit Troll Filter.

Oh dear, another fool who thinks someone with an opinion differing to their own must be a troll.

A poster who knows what a sad ****wit you are.

And another person with nothing intelligent to add to the discussion.

--
The ant can lift 50 times its own weight, can pull 30 times its own weight, and always falls over on its right side when intoxicated.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 03/06/2014 22:14, ARW wrote:
"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news

The warning is probably because the houseplants from commercial growers
have been dosed with a persistent systemic pesticide that renders the
plant toxic to sap sucking insects and potentially harmful to humans.

I wish they wouldn't do that. I've got some plants here that produce
tremendous quantities of sap all over their leaves and somehow
splattered onto the window they are next to. I'd appreciate some
insects to eat it.

It is insects tapping the sap that spray honeydew onto your windows.

Anyway, nobody would be stupid enough to think a houseplant was food, so
they don't need the warning.

Citrus plants and bay as below are the most common examples.

You often get bay and citrus trees from garden centres with a warning
not to eat any of the fruit that season. I wonder how many people do?

Everybody I would imagine, nobody reads daft warnings like that. I go
by my stomach and tastebuds.

You can't smell or taste pesticide nerve agents at levels that will
cause you serious harm. They are much more lethal to insects but they
are not something that a sensible person wants to deliberately ingest.
YMMV

If I'm out camping and eat something that
tastes very bitter, I spit it out. If it tastes ok but I get
indigestion afterwards, I don't eat it again (which seldom happens as
most plants that are poisonous also taste bad, to prevent the animal
eating them, rather then just making it ill after the plant's already
lost half it's leaves).

Glycocides for the most part taste like normal sugars but shut down the
cell metabolism when the cyanide gets released. And the most toxic
Amanita fungi of all apparently taste very good indeed but are lethal in
very low doses - I have eaten some of the ones which are edible.

We are lucky in Europe that no indigenous plants have mastered
organofluorine chemistry - the same cannot be said for Australia or
Africa. The things that have eaten fluoroacetate containing plants are
lethal to whatever then tries to eat them and on down the food chain
until it gets diluted. Work is underway to detox it in ruminants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluoroacetate_dehalogenase

Given that I have seen oleander on sale in supermarkets without adequate
warnings of its very serious toxicity to humans. It is telling that they
warn of skin and eye irritation. I wonder if one of them was a euphorbia
- the sap from them can cause excruciating pain in the eyes.

I'll try to remember not to use it as a tissue then....

It is less forgiving than that. Dry sap on your skin can act as a
photosensitiser or cause really nasty as in hospitalising eye burns.

General rule of thumb is sap runs clear is OK sap is milky latex then
beware (counter example is lettuce which is safe to eat).

I've never seen lettuce sap.

Are you blind as well as dumb?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 03/06/2014 22:14, ARW wrote:
"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news
The warning is probably because the houseplants from commercial growers
have been dosed with a persistent systemic pesticide that renders the
plant toxic to sap sucking insects and potentially harmful to humans.

I wish they wouldn't do that. I've got some plants here that produce
tremendous quantities of sap all over their leaves and somehow
splattered onto the window they are next to. I'd appreciate some
insects to eat it.

It is insects tapping the sap that spray honeydew onto your windows.

I see.

Anyway, nobody would be stupid enough to think a houseplant was food, so
they don't need the warning.

Citrus plants and bay as below are the most common examples.

You often get bay and citrus trees from garden centres with a warning
not to eat any of the fruit that season. I wonder how many people do?

Everybody I would imagine, nobody reads daft warnings like that. I go
by my stomach and tastebuds.

You can't smell or taste pesticide nerve agents at levels that will
cause you serious harm. They are much more lethal to insects but they
are not something that a sensible person wants to deliberately ingest.
YMMV

Well if I got sick doing something, I'd not do it again.

If I'm out camping and eat something that
tastes very bitter, I spit it out. If it tastes ok but I get
indigestion afterwards, I don't eat it again (which seldom happens as
most plants that are poisonous also taste bad, to prevent the animal
eating them, rather then just making it ill after the plant's already
lost half it's leaves).

Glycocides for the most part taste like normal sugars but shut down the
cell metabolism when the cyanide gets released. And the most toxic
Amanita fungi of all apparently taste very good indeed but are lethal in
very low doses - I have eaten some of the ones which are edible.

I would never eat any fungi. I read somewhere that 2% are good for you, 2% are poisonous, and 96% have no nutritional value.

We are lucky in Europe that no indigenous plants have mastered
organofluorine chemistry - the same cannot be said for Australia or
Africa. The things that have eaten fluoroacetate containing plants are
lethal to whatever then tries to eat them and on down the food chain
until it gets diluted. Work is underway to detox it in ruminants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluoroacetate_dehalogenase

I don't see why a plant would do that. The point is to prevent the animal eating the plant, not to kill it later after it's eaten it anyway. A nasty bitter taste is the best way, along with poison to back it up for the non-believers.

Given that I have seen oleander on sale in supermarkets without adequate
warnings of its very serious toxicity to humans. It is telling that they
warn of skin and eye irritation. I wonder if one of them was a euphorbia
- the sap from them can cause excruciating pain in the eyes.

I'll try to remember not to use it as a tissue then....

It is less forgiving than that. Dry sap on your skin can act as a
photosensitiser or cause really nasty as in hospitalising eye burns.

I've seen eye irritant on all sorts of chemicals, and never actually had irritated eyes.

General rule of thumb is sap runs clear is OK sap is milky latex then
beware (counter example is lettuce which is safe to eat).

I've never seen lettuce sap.

Are you blind as well as dumb?

Are you talking about harvesting it? I'm just going by supermarket lettuce.

--
A budget is just a method of worrying before you spend money, as well as afterwards.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/06/2014 22:14, ARW wrote:
"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news
http://petersphotos.com/temp/Plants.jpg

Site blocked by Maleware Bytes!

Have you not realised he is an idiot who is best ignored or killfiled

--
Peter Crosland

Reply address is valid
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/2014 22:15, Peter Crosland wrote:
Have you not realised he is an idiot who is best ignored or killfiled

Perhaps "and" is more appropriate than "or".

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Jun 2014 22:15:13 +0100, Peter Crosland wrote:

On 03/06/2014 22:14, ARW wrote:
"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news
http://petersphotos.com/temp/Plants.jpg

Site blocked by Maleware Bytes!

Have you not realised he is an idiot who is best ignored or killfiled

Oh dear, another poster who can't handle opinions other than his own.

--
Mother: "Why are you home from school so early?"
Son: "I was the only one who could answer my maths teacher's question."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 03/06/2014 22:14, ARW wrote:
[...]

I have when cutting off leaves to have for dinner.

OT Health and Safety george [dicegeorge] UK diy 0 February 28th 11 07:47 PM
Health & Safety? Not here John UK diy 3 March 9th 09 09:04 PM
Health and Safety not a problem outside of the UK......................... Pete Cross UK diy 11 July 5th 07 11:46 PM
Health & Safety gone too far...? Grumpy owd man UK diy 5 January 17th 06 08:04 AM
Health and safety. A tip from the wise (er) Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) UK diy 41 July 17th 05 10:43 PM