Posted to sci.electronics.design,uk.d-i-y

Default Garage Door Opener Range¸

On Wed, 07 May 2014 20:05:17 -0700, John Larkin
wrote:

On Wed, 07 May 2014 16:40:39 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Wed, 07 May 2014 16:30:35 -0700, John Larkin
wrote:

On Wed, 07 May 2014 13:27:29 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

This new, very well-insulated, foil-backed, house has one drawback...
the garage door opener range with the garage door closed is only about
20'

Any ideas on how I could extend that range?

...Jim Thompson

You need an engineer!

Always have to go out of your way to be a turd, don't you... sad
specimen you are.

...Jim Thompson

Geez, you have an antenna inside a metal box, and you need advice?

Gentlemen, gentlemen! Really! The best forum for questions like this
is uk.d-i-y (anything concerned with house building and home
improvement in fact). I've added it. Let's hope for some positive
contributions...

Posted to sci.electronics.design,uk.d-i-y

What?
I've often wondered how a lot of radio controlled devices work when they
seem to have aerials concealed in their cases. I was always taught that they
should be resonant at the frequency needed and putting hands and buildeings
close by detunes them even before you think about the screening effects.
How do Mobile phones ever work, one wonders.. grin.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

wrote:

This new, very well-insulated, foil-backed, house has one drawback...
the garage door opener range with the garage door closed is only about
20'

Any ideas on how I could extend that range?

...Jim Thompson

You need an engineer!

Always have to go out of your way to be a turd, don't you... sad
specimen you are.

...Jim Thompson

Geez, you have an antenna inside a metal box, and you need advice?

Gentlemen, gentlemen! Really! The best forum for questions like this
is uk.d-i-y (anything concerned with house building and home
improvement in fact). I've added it. Let's hope for some positive
contributions...

Posted to sci.electronics.design,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 9 May 2014 15:59:25 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

I've often wondered how a lot of radio controlled devices work when they
seem to have aerials concealed in their cases.

The often metal case has a plastic window to let the RF in and out.
The windows needs to be only slightly larger than the antenna in order
to function. This arrangement also has the advantage in cell phones
at directing the RF away from the users head, thus reducing the SAR
(specific absorption rate).

I was always taught that they
should be resonant at the frequency needed and putting hands and buildeings
close by detunes them even before you think about the screening effects.

Antennas do NOT need to be resonant at the operating frequency.
Certainly it helps, but it's not required. For example, the metal
frame around the Apple iPhone 4 and iPhone 5, which acts as two
antennas, is not resonant.

The users hand will detune any antenna in close proximity or by
touching the antenna. I ran a crude test of that when it became an
issue with the iPhone 4.
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/cellular/cell-test.htm
The "difference" column shows the decrease in signal strength between
a two finger grip and a stranglehold. While there is a substantial
decrease in signal (6-12dB) for most phones, it's not catastrophic,
except on the iPhone 4 (20-25dB).

How do Mobile phones ever work, one wonders.. grin.

Because RF is magic, but more likely, because users have learned to
tolerate dropouts, dead zones, garbled audio, marginal hardware,
limited quality, overpriced plans, billing errors, etc.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.design,uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom brought next idea :

wrote:

This new, very well-insulated, foil-backed, house has one drawback...
the garage door opener range with the garage door closed is only about
20'

Any ideas on how I could extend that range?

...Jim Thompson

You need an engineer!

Always have to go out of your way to be a turd, don't you... sad
specimen you are.

...Jim Thompson

Geez, you have an antenna inside a metal box, and you need advice?

Gentlemen, gentlemen! Really! The best forum for questions like this
is uk.d-i-y (anything concerned with house building and home
improvement in fact). I've added it. Let's hope for some positive
contributions...

The only thing you are allowed to improve, is the receiver. Have you
looked at the receiver's (in the garage) antenna?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
Posted to sci.electronics.design,uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom scribbled...

Gentlemen, gentlemen! Really! The best forum for questions like this
is uk.d-i-y (anything concerned with house building and home
improvement in fact). I've added it. Let's hope for some positive
contributions...

As garage door openers are used to set off IEDs, I see no reason for
anyone to be giving info on how to increase their range.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 9 May 2014 19:09:09 +0100, Jabba wrote:

Cursitor Doom scribbled...

Gentlemen, gentlemen! Really! The best forum for questions like this
is uk.d-i-y (anything concerned with house building and home
improvement in fact). I've added it. Let's hope for some positive
contributions...

As garage door openers are used to set off IEDs, I see no reason for
anyone to be giving info on how to increase their range.

---
As far as I know, the only real way to increase the range of IEDs is
to make them bigger or to arrange for them to explode above ground.

As far as their triggers go, I believe the device of choice for
serious bombers is a cell phone.

John Fields
Posted to sci.electronics.design,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 9 May 2014 19:09:09 +0100, Jabba wrote:

Cursitor Doom scribbled...

Gentlemen, gentlemen! Really! The best forum for questions like this
is uk.d-i-y (anything concerned with house building and home
improvement in fact). I've added it. Let's hope for some positive
contributions...

As garage door openers are used to set off IEDs, I see no reason for
anyone to be giving info on how to increase their range.

Cell phones are used for that, too.

Luckily, some fraction of bomb builders blow themselves to bits before
they are finished.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Posted to sci.electronics.design,uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2014 19:09, Jabba wrote:
Cursitor Doom scribbled...

Gentlemen, gentlemen! Really! The best forum for questions like this
is uk.d-i-y (anything concerned with house building and home
improvement in fact). I've added it. Let's hope for some positive
contributions...

As garage door openers are used to set off IEDs, I see no reason for
anyone to be giving info on how to increase their range.

Don't assume that just because someone is a terrorist/ freedom fighter
(Delete to taste) that they are stupid.

The information is readily available with a simple google search, the
bad guys also have computers, and are quite often *very* competent in
their use.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,uk.d-i-y

John Williamson scribbled...

On 09/05/2014 19:09, Jabba wrote:
Cursitor Doom scribbled...

Gentlemen, gentlemen! Really! The best forum for questions like this
is uk.d-i-y (anything concerned with house building and home
improvement in fact). I've added it. Let's hope for some positive
contributions...

As garage door openers are used to set off IEDs, I see no reason for
anyone to be giving info on how to increase their range.

Don't assume that just because someone is a terrorist/ freedom fighter
(Delete to taste) that they are stupid.

The information is readily available with a simple google search, the
bad guys also have computers, and are quite often *very* competent in
their use.

Should you start searching for such info, you'll soon be getting
unexpected visitors

Posted to sci.electronics.design,uk.d-i-y

Huge scribbled...

On 2014-05-09, Jabba wrote:
Cursitor Doom scribbled...

Gentlemen, gentlemen! Really! The best forum for questions like this
is uk.d-i-y (anything concerned with house building and home
improvement in fact). I've added it. Let's hope for some positive
contributions...

As garage door openers are used to set off IEDs, I see no reason for
anyone to be giving info on how to increase their range.

Jeez, how do ****s like you achieve adulthood?

How did a **** like you learn to use a computer?

Posted to sci.electronics.design,uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2014 22:27, Jabba wrote:
John Williamson scribbled...

On 09/05/2014 19:09, Jabba wrote:
Cursitor Doom scribbled...

Gentlemen, gentlemen! Really! The best forum for questions like this
is uk.d-i-y (anything concerned with house building and home
improvement in fact). I've added it. Let's hope for some positive
contributions...

As garage door openers are used to set off IEDs, I see no reason for
anyone to be giving info on how to increase their range.

Don't assume that just because someone is a terrorist/ freedom fighter
(Delete to taste) that they are stupid.

The information is readily available with a simple google search, the
bad guys also have computers, and are quite often *very* competent in
their use.

Should you start searching for such info, you'll soon be getting
unexpected visitors

Not if I search for "How do I increase the range of my garage opener".
Maybe you were daft enough to search for "How do I trigger a bomb by
using a garage opener"? (Hint:- a relay is involved for the simple method).

Anyway,in the OP's case, it's simple. Move the aerial to the outside of
the screened metal box he's just put it in, or use the foil on the door
as the aerial.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,uk.d-i-y

On 2014-05-09, Jabba wrote:
Cursitor Doom scribbled...

Gentlemen, gentlemen! Really! The best forum for questions like this
is uk.d-i-y (anything concerned with house building and home
improvement in fact). I've added it. Let's hope for some positive
contributions...

As garage door openers are used to set off IEDs, I see no reason for
anyone to be giving info on how to increase their range.

Jeez, how do ****s like you achieve adulthood?

How did a **** like you learn to use a computer?

Usenet. HTH.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2014 19:54, John Fields wrote:
On Fri, 9 May 2014 19:09:09 +0100, Jabba wrote:

Cursitor Doom scribbled...

Gentlemen, gentlemen! Really! The best forum for questions like this
is uk.d-i-y (anything concerned with house building and home
improvement in fact). I've added it. Let's hope for some positive
contributions...

As garage door openers are used to set off IEDs, I see no reason for
anyone to be giving info on how to increase their range.

---
As far as I know, the only real way to increase the range of IEDs is
to make them bigger or to arrange for them to explode above ground.

As far as their triggers go, I believe the device of choice for
serious bombers is a cell phone.

John Fields

As I understand it, the cell phone is also the device of choice for long
range garage door openers. I know someone who has a system that lets
him dial in through his house phone, which then activates a motor and
it's open by the time he gets there.
So far as I know, his garage door hasn't exploded yet.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Williamson wrote:

Anyway,in the OP's case, it's simple. Move the aerial to the outside of
the screened metal box he's just put it in, or use the foil on the door
as the aerial.

One thought about using the door itself - make a "slot antenna".

http://electriciantraining.tpub.com/.../14183_163.htm

http://www.antenna-theory.com/antenn...rture/slot.php

Cut out a narrow half-wavelength-long slot in the foil (or sheet
metal), and feed it at the midpoint of the slot using coax. A
horizontal slot produces a "vertically polarized" signal.

The same trick could be used at any part of the building structure
which consists of a large conductive sheet... assuming that you can
establish a good electrical connection to the conductive
material... bonding to the aluminized mylar foil used on some
insulation boards might be really dubious :-(

For a 433 MHz signal, this would require a slot about a foot long (for
a half-wavelength slot). Maybe cut such a slot in the sheet-metal
garage door, and mount a plastic plate over it with the house number
attached? It's look like a normal part of the door decor and (unless
the plastic is conductive) wouldn't interfere with the slot's ability
to function as an antenna.

The same issues which have been raised, about the use of an external
antenna possibly de-tuning the receiver or causing it to go into
regenerative oscillation, would apply here. Impedance matching would
be something which would need to be considered.

Here's another twist on the idea: build a slot antenna into the door,
run a coax to a foot or so away from the existing receiver, and
terminate the coax in a half-wave dipole. Don't make a direct
connection to the receiver at all. This setup would act as a passive
relay for the 433 MHz signal. There would be significant losses
(compared to feeding the receiver via a direct connection) but it
would probably still improve matters quite a bit.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
What?
I've often wondered how a lot of radio controlled devices work when they
seem to have aerials concealed in their cases. I was always taught that
they should be resonant at the frequency needed and putting hands and
buildeings close by detunes them even before you think about the screening
effects.
How do Mobile phones ever work, one wonders.. grin.

The iphone 4S did have a design glitch where the way
some held it was a problem in that regard. The others
are fine.

wrote:

This new, very well-insulated, foil-backed, house has one drawback...
the garage door opener range with the garage door closed is only about
20'

Any ideas on how I could extend that range?

...Jim Thompson

You need an engineer!

Always have to go out of your way to be a turd, don't you... sad
specimen you are.

...Jim Thompson

Geez, you have an antenna inside a metal box, and you need advice?

Gentlemen, gentlemen! Really! The best forum for questions like this
is uk.d-i-y (anything concerned with house building and home
improvement in fact). I've added it. Let's hope for some positive
contributions...

Posted to sci.electronics.design,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 9 May 2014 19:09:09 +0100, Jabba wrote:

Cursitor Doom scribbled...

Gentlemen, gentlemen! Really! The best forum for questions like this
is uk.d-i-y (anything concerned with house building and home
improvement in fact). I've added it. Let's hope for some positive
contributions...

As garage door openers are used to set off IEDs, I see no reason for
anyone to be giving info on how to increase their range.

Huh? Anyone using a GDO to set of an IED is nuts! A cell phone is a
much better trigger.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 May 2014 23:09:24 +0100, GMM GlMiMa-AT-yahoo.co.uk wrote:

[...]

My garage door came with a box to plug into my router and an app to
trigger it over the Internet. Never installed the box so I don't know
how well it works. I don't see the point in opening the garage door
unless I'm close enough to see it.

So far as I know, his garage door hasn't exploded yet.

;-)
Posted to sci.electronics.design,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 May 2014 22:21:43 +0100, John Williamson
wrote:

On 09/05/2014 19:09, Jabba wrote:
Cursitor Doom scribbled...

Gentlemen, gentlemen! Really! The best forum for questions like this
is uk.d-i-y (anything concerned with house building and home
improvement in fact). I've added it. Let's hope for some positive
contributions...

As garage door openers are used to set off IEDs, I see no reason for
anyone to be giving info on how to increase their range.

Don't assume that just because someone is a terrorist/ freedom fighter
(Delete to taste) that they are stupid.

The information is readily available with a simple google search, the
bad guys also have computers, and are quite often *very* competent in
their use.

"how to increase range of garage door opener" gets 34,300 hits on the
search engine I use.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,uk.d-i-y

In article , David Platt
scribeth thus
In article ,
John Williamson wrote:

[...]

Watt an amusing idea!. Nothing new of course, the BBC were using this
back in the mid fifties for sound transmissions in VHF Band 2 as seen
here from the Mighty Holme Moss!.

But it does seem a lot of bother to go to matching that slot to the
drive cable, wouldn't a simple quarter wave whip aerial be just as
efficient and simpler to make?..

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/gallery...121&pageid=730
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to sci.electronics.design,uk.d-i-y

"John Larkin" wrote in message
On Fri, 9 May 2014 19:09:09 +0100, Jabba wrote:

Cursitor Doom scribbled...

Gentlemen, gentlemen! Really! The best forum for questions like this
is uk.d-i-y (anything concerned with house building and home
improvement in fact). I've added it. Let's hope for some positive
contributions...

As garage door openers are used to set off IEDs, I see no reason for
anyone to be giving info on how to increase their range.

Cell phones are used for that, too.

Luckily, some fraction of bomb builders blow themselves to bits before
they are finished.

probably the only good thing to come out of those annoying auto dialer
recorded message PPI claim calls you get then

Posted to sci.electronics.design,uk.d-i-y

In article , Huge
scribeth thus
On 2014-05-10, tony sayer wrote:

Here's another twist on the idea: build a slot antenna into the door,
run a coax to a foot or so away from the existing receiver, and
terminate the coax in a half-wave dipole. Don't make a direct
connection to the receiver at all. This setup would act as a passive
relay for the 433 MHz signal. There would be significant losses
(compared to feeding the receiver via a direct connection) but it
would probably still improve matters quite a bit.

Watt an amusing idea!. Nothing new of course, the BBC were using this
back in the mid fifties for sound transmissions in VHF Band 2 as seen
here from the Mighty Holme Moss!.

AFAIK, all horizontally polarised TV signals are generated with slot antennae,
since it makes the construction of the masts much easier.

Umm .. slots haven't been used for TV at all in the UK. They went out of
fashion for Radio around the mixed polarisation upgrades of the early
1980's..

In recent analogue times usually panel aerials or dipoles for main TV
stations and Log arrays like Yagi's etc for relay stations.

In modern Digital times panel arrays and stacks of them.

Some being dropped into place in I believe your backyard;!..

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/gallery...840&pageid=751
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to sci.electronics.design,uk.d-i-y

In article , Huge
scribeth thus
In article , Huge
scribeth thus
On 2014-05-10, tony sayer wrote:

Here's another twist on the idea: build a slot antenna into the door,
run a coax to a foot or so away from the existing receiver, and
terminate the coax in a half-wave dipole. Don't make a direct
connection to the receiver at all. This setup would act as a passive
relay for the 433 MHz signal. There would be significant losses
(compared to feeding the receiver via a direct connection) but it
would probably still improve matters quite a bit.

Watt an amusing idea!. Nothing new of course, the BBC were using this
back in the mid fifties for sound transmissions in VHF Band 2 as seen
here from the Mighty Holme Moss!.

AFAIK, all horizontally polarised TV signals are generated with slot

antennae,
since it makes the construction of the masts much easier.

Umm .. slots haven't been used for TV at all in the UK.

Disregard total Bollix!...

They went out of
fashion for Radio around the mixed polarisation upgrades of the early
1980's..

In recent analogue times usually panel aerials or dipoles for main TV
stations and Log arrays like Yagi's etc for relay stations.

In modern Digital times panel arrays and stacks of them.

Some being dropped into place in I believe your backyard;!..

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/gallery...840&pageid=751

Well, I sit corrected. Thank you. I'm obviously going mad.

Err No!,

I'm getting rather forgetful in my olde age!. You were right I've
written off several years of TV engineering and Charles Hope can't have
been reading this thread else he'd have picked me up on that!

Some were dipoles but there were slots the "EMISLOT" made by EMI as
implied!.

Herewith some pix of same from the Stockland Hill transmitter in deepest
Devon taken when the digital switchover was in progress. Oddly enough
the engineering notes of the time when they went into service refer to
them as panel's which you could call them that, but I don't think anyone
did!.!..

Sorry!...

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/gallery...159&pageid=454

And a close up here at Wenvoe in Wales!..

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/wenvoe/dso/wenvoe-dso2.php
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to sci.electronics.design,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 May 2014 09:25:19 +0100, tony sayer
wrote:

Herewith some pix of same from the Stockland Hill transmitter in deepest
Devon taken when the digital switchover was in progress. Oddly enough
the engineering notes of the time when they went into service refer to
them as panel's which you could call them that, but I don't think anyone
did!.!..

Sorry!...

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/gallery...159&pageid=454

And a close up here at Wenvoe in Wales!..

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/wenvoe/dso/wenvoe-dso2.php

Hmmm. I'm guessing if you hooked one of these up to your garage door,
you'd have no range problems at all.