Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Black & Decker Electric strimmer

My one of these worked fine for a couple of years, but then gradually
started to refuse to extend the string. I have tried a brand new B&D
spool with string, but it still doesn't work properly. What is the
general cause of this? Is it not worth bothering with, or can it be
fixed easily?
I see a certain grooving of the eyelet where the string comes out, but is that enough?
Any useful ideas welcome.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Davey" wrote in message
My one of these worked fine for a couple of years, but then gradually
started to refuse to extend the string. I have tried a brand new B&D
spool with string, but it still doesn't work properly. What is the
general cause of this? Is it not worth bothering with, or can it be
fixed easily?
I see a certain grooving of the eyelet where the string comes out, but is
that enough?
Any useful ideas welcome.

I can't get mine to work either. It's supposed to be one that you tap on the
ground to expell more string.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Me too, the problem I also have is that the cord goes brittle over the
winter and snaps at the hole in the outlet, then no more can feed out until
you go inside and pull it out manually.
Surely in this age of upvc, we can make plastic cord that is less affected
by temperature? I sometimes wonder if when you buy it its been out in some
cold storage bin some place.
Now I cannot see what I'm strimming I have not looked into the
alternatives.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"harryagain" wrote in message

"Davey" wrote in message
My one of these worked fine for a couple of years, but then gradually
started to refuse to extend the string. I have tried a brand new B&D
spool with string, but it still doesn't work properly. What is the
general cause of this? Is it not worth bothering with, or can it be
fixed easily?
I see a certain grooving of the eyelet where the string comes out, but is
that enough?
Any useful ideas welcome.

I can't get mine to work either. It's supposed to be one that you tap on
the ground to expell more string.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Brian Gaff
wrote:
Me too, the problem I also have is that the cord goes brittle over the
winter and snaps at the hole in the outlet, then no more can feed out
until you go inside and pull it out manually. Surely in this age of upvc,
we can make plastic cord that is less affected by temperature? I
sometimes wonder if when you buy it its been out in some cold storage bin
some place. Now I cannot see what I'm strimming I have not looked into
the alternatives. Brian

Another problem is that the spool gets coated in grass "juice" which is
very sticky. Once it dries it will tend to jam up the spool.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/14 00:31, Davey wrote:
My one of these worked fine for a couple of years, but then gradually
started to refuse to extend the string. I have tried a brand new B&D
spool with string, but it still doesn't work properly. What is the
general cause of this? Is it not worth bothering with, or can it be
fixed easily?
I see a certain grooving of the eyelet where the string comes out, but is that enough?
Any useful ideas welcome.

--
Davey.

Best thing I ever did was throw mine away and buy a petrol one...

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/2014 00:31, Davey wrote:
My one of these worked fine for a couple of years, but then gradually
started to refuse to extend the string. I have tried a brand new B&D
spool with string, but it still doesn't work properly. What is the
general cause of this? Is it not worth bothering with, or can it be
fixed easily?
I see a certain grooving of the eyelet where the string comes out, but is that enough?
Any useful ideas welcome.

--
Davey.

I've got one, but never use it 'cos it's bl**dy useless. It either
refuses to feed any cord or feeds the whole lot in one go and empties
the spool. The spool was replaced after a couple of weeks (under
warranty after a lot of hassle with the shop) 'cos it broke.

Never again would I buy a B&D strimmer.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A bit harsh actually, mostly they don't break, but they do jam a lot as has
been said.
I wonder if one could modify one to use two little chains instead. I
suspect the mass of the motor is not enough to create the inertia needed to
use such things though. It needs a petrol engine and flywheel.
Brian

Email:

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 4 May 2014 12:25:21 +0100
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

So basically, the system is crap!

Brian

That's what I get from this. It's headed bin-wards.

Thanks for all the replies, folks, at least it's not just me!

So the next thing is to ask for recommendations for a good replacement.
My neighbour has a Flymo, which he says is good. I think it has
flailing plastic arms with teeth.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/2014 12:41, Davey wrote:
On Sun, 4 May 2014 12:25:21 +0100
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

So basically, the system is crap!

Brian

That's what I get from this. It's headed bin-wards.

Thanks for all the replies, folks, at least it's not just me!

So the next thing is to ask for recommendations for a good replacement.
My neighbour has a Flymo, which he says is good. I think it has
flailing plastic arms with teeth.

Yes, I think it is a common problem. If you have one of those aerosol
sprays of silicone fluid (brilliant for lubricating gutter joints,
curtain rails, push-fit plumbing) you could try spraying that on the spool.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davey wrote:
My one of these worked fine for a couple of years, but then gradually
started to refuse to extend the string. I have tried a brand new B&D
spool with string, but it still doesn't work properly. What is the
general cause of this? Is it not worth bothering with, or can it be
fixed easily?
I see a certain grooving of the eyelet where the string comes out, but is that enough?
Any useful ideas welcome.

--
Davey.

Ive never yet found a strimmer which stays working. There has to be a
very good market out there for a product which just works.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote:

So basically, the system is crap!

Brian

That's what I get from this. It's headed bin-wards.

Thanks for all the replies, folks, at least it's not just me!

So the next thing is to ask for recommendations for a good
replacement. My neighbour has a Flymo, which he says is good. I
think it has flailing plastic arms with teeth.

Yes, I think it is a common problem. If you have one of those aerosol
sprays of silicone fluid (brilliant for lubricating gutter joints,
curtain rails, push-fit plumbing) you could try spraying that on the
spool.

The can of WD-40 is right there, I could try that tomorrow! It can't
make it worse.
But I can't help feeling that there is some fundamental mistake in
either the design or manufacture. Everybody has the same experience, it
works for a while, then goes bad. But what happens? What stops
happening?
Weird. Cleverly Planned Obsolescence?

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 04 May 2014 00:31:48 +0100, Davey wrote:

My one of these worked fine for a couple of years, but then gradually
started to refuse to extend the string.

I have two Black and Decker strimmers and have constant problems with the
plastic string or whatever it is called. I have seen larger strimmers
that just have two very thick strings that don't break easily.
I've also seen a steel toothed wheel, but they are not available for
small strimmers. I don't see why not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/2014 10:52, Roger Mills wrote:
On 04/05/2014 00:31, Davey wrote:
My one of these worked fine for a couple of years, but then gradually
started to refuse to extend the string. I have tried a brand new B&D
spool with string, but it still doesn't work properly. What is the
general cause of this? Is it not worth bothering with, or can it be
fixed easily?
I see a certain grooving of the eyelet where the string comes out, but
is that enough?
Any useful ideas welcome.

--
Davey.

I've got one, but never use it 'cos it's bl**dy useless. It either
refuses to feed any cord or feeds the whole lot in one go and empties
the spool. The spool was replaced after a couple of weeks (under
warranty after a lot of hassle with the shop) 'cos it broke.

Never again would I buy a B&D strimmer.

I use one occasionally in my neighbour's garden. Had no trouble since I
replaced the spool and line (EBay). Trying to re-wind the old one was a
PITA.
Anything with flailing plastic things doesn't last long in the average
garden e.g. cheap Flymo hovers where the replaceable parts break on
contact with pretty much anything apart from a blade of grass
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 5 May 2014 00:25:17 +0000 (UTC)
MattyF wrote:

On Sun, 04 May 2014 00:31:48 +0100, Davey wrote:

My one of these worked fine for a couple of years, but then
gradually started to refuse to extend the string.

I have two Black and Decker strimmers and have constant problems with
the plastic string or whatever it is called. I have seen larger
strimmers that just have two very thick strings that don't break
easily. I've also seen a steel toothed wheel, but they are not
available for small strimmers. I don't see why not.

I have a large multi-tool strimmer/hedgetrimmer/powersaw that works fine
as a strimmer, but it's a big beastie that needs to be held up with the
shoulder strap, definitely not what is needed for the wife to use
cleaning up flower bed edges. The big one works best as a clearer of
heavy grasslands. It also has a toothed wheel, but I'm afraid of it,
it's so dangerous-looking! It could remove a finger before you knew it.

--
Davey.

Black & Decker Cooper[_4_] Home Repair 2 September 25th 13 01:18 AM
Electric strimmer sweetheart[_2_] UK diy 24 September 13th 10 09:51 AM
Up yours Black & Decker. ian field Electronics Repair 22 June 3rd 07 05:02 AM
electric motors in Black & Decker tools= CRAP [email protected] Woodworking 12 January 5th 07 01:00 PM
SATANIC Black and Decker electric mower burns motor out after 364 days z Home Repair 0 June 13th 06 09:15 PM