Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default If the Scots leavehttp://www.speedshift.co.uk/ the Union . . .

If the Scots leave the Union they've been told that they cannot use the
pound sterling.

.... presumably they will also not be allowed to speak English and will have
to revert to Gaelic

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
On 30/04/2014 21:06, Andrew Mawson wrote:
If the Scots leave the Union they've been told that they cannot use the
pound sterling.

... presumably they will also not be allowed to speak English and will
have to revert to Gaelic

Given the problem my partner has in following their accent,

which one? there are many.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew Mawson
writes
If the Scots leave the Union they've been told that they cannot use the
pound sterling.

... presumably they will also not be allowed to speak English and will
have to revert to Gaelic

Andrew

Any country can use whatever currency they like. What the Scots have
been told is that they can have no say in the management of that
currency, the most significant part of which is setting interest rates,
which means less influence than they have now.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote

If the Scots leave the Union they've been told that they cannot use the
pound sterling.

They can't in fact be told that. They can use anything they like currency
wise.

... presumably they will also not be allowed to speak English

They never have spoken english.

and will have to revert to Gaelic

Just keep doing what they have always done.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

bert ] wrote
Andrew Mawson wrote

If the Scots leave the Union they've been
told that they cannot use the pound sterling.

Any country can use whatever currency they like.

Yep.

What the Scots have been told is that they can
have no say in the management of that currency,

They don't have any now, so that would be a complete yawn.

the most significant part of which is setting interest rates,

Those are in fact now set for completely different
reasons, particularly attempting some control over
the economy. Its one of the few leavers any govt
has anymore. The other one is govt spending and
money printing, now called quantative easing.

which means less influence than they have now.

They are free to do whatever they like with
interest rates once they have left, and are
also free to do what they like with govt
spending within the constraints that the EU
in theory imposes on EU member countrys.

They wouldn't get to print sterling tho.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Its always been called the Poond up there any ways.
Now come on they will of course use the Pound, just as the Isle of Man and
the Channel isles do. They may have their own designs but the stuff will be
legal tender as if it were any other way industry would be very angry
indeed.
The big question in my mind is where is the sense of it?
At the moment they do have quite a degree of freedom, andeven have
different laws. Where would the money come from to fund the infrastructure
if it was just the Scots alone paying the taxes?
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message
If the Scots leave the Union they've been told that they cannot use the
pound sterling.

... presumably they will also not be allowed to speak English and will
have to revert to Gaelic

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar scribbled...

On 30/04/2014 21:06, Andrew Mawson wrote:
If the Scots leave the Union they've been told that they cannot use the
pound sterling.

... presumably they will also not be allowed to speak English and will
have to revert to Gaelic

Given the problem my partner has in following their accent, so far as
she is concerned, they may as well be speaking Gaelic.

Is she Little Miss Snooty ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
Given the problem my partner has in following their accent,

which one? there are many.

None of which does she find particularly intelligible.

Hmm. I seem to remember reading that the clearest accent in the UK is
actually from the NE of Scotland. Not dialect - just accent. It sure isn't
any English one. Too many whales and Wales sort of things.

--
*I got a job at a bakery because I kneaded dough.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, April 30, 2014 11:56:03 PM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,

Nightjar wrote:

Given the problem my partner has in following their accent,

which one? there are many.

None of which does she find particularly intelligible.

Hmm. I seem to remember reading that the clearest accent in the UK is

actually from the NE of Scotland. Not dialect - just accent. It sure isn't

any English one. Too many whales and Wales sort of things.

Locks are in doors, Lochs are what we call a body of water up north ;-)

Dingwall has a number of call centres, used to handle parking tickets for central London. At the time phoning any company in London yielded an Australian on the switchboard...

Sky employs something like 4000 teletubbies between Livingston and Rosyth for satellite TV top ups.

What with a parliament building that cost 20 times original estimate, Capital City rapid transit system 6 years late, 30% of original length and more than 50% over budget and the World`s most expensive bridge under construction, Forth Crossing, run of mill cable stay which will be per mile crossed most expensive bridge ever built.

As you`ll gather a hive of sustainable industry ready to go it alone in the big bad world ,what could possibly go wrong?

Its no a braw, bricht, moonlicht nicht the nicht, ye ken.

--

*I got a job at a bakery because I kneaded dough.*

Dave Plowman London SW

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar scribbled...

On 30/04/2014 23:20, Jabba wrote:
Nightjar scribbled...

On 30/04/2014 21:06, Andrew Mawson wrote:
If the Scots leave the Union they've been told that they cannot use the
pound sterling.

... presumably they will also not be allowed to speak English and will
have to revert to Gaelic

Given the problem my partner has in following their accent, so far as
she is concerned, they may as well be speaking Gaelic.

Is she Little Miss Snooty ?

How good is your ability to understand French spoken in a Languedocian
accent?

How long have they been talking like that in Sauchiehall Street ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
Given the problem my partner has in following their accent,

which one? there are many.

None of which does she find particularly intelligible.

Hmm. I seem to remember reading that the clearest accent in the UK is
actually from the NE of Scotland. Not dialect - just accent. It sure isn't
any English one. Too many whales and Wales sort of things.

This is entirely true. Every sylible is clearly enunciated.
They speak quite slowly too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
Nightjar wrote:

I would have thought that the clearest accent would be what used to be
known as BBC English.

No, I have trouble with it. Plarster, broadcarster, what's all that about?

Bill

Jo Coburn I think has the best pronunciation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote
Brian Gaff wrote

Its always been called the Poond up there any ways.

Although at Union, the Pound Scots was only worth 1/8d in English money.

Now come on they will of course use the Pound, just as the Isle of Man
and the Channel isles do. They may have their own designs but the stuff
will be legal tender as if it were any other way industry would be very
angry indeed.

No bank notes, Scottish or Bank of England, are legal tender in Scotland
today.

The big question in my mind is where is the sense of it?
At the moment they do have quite a degree of freedom, and even have
different laws. Where would the money come from to fund the
infrastructure
if it was just the Scots alone paying the taxes?

The SNP claim that they should get the bulk of the North Sea Oil income,

Corse they should.

but The Treasury says they should only get a proportion based upon
relative population levels.

That's never been how who owns what seabed wise is determined.

Its pure bull****.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) scribbled...

In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
That is not an answer to the question. Tto put it another way, how well
do you understand a foreign language spoken in a thick accent?

You'd have to define 'a thick accent'. Everyone has an accent of some
sort. It just depends where your starting point is. Obviously most will
find their local one the easiest to understand. But that doesn't mean it
is either the best or the easiest for everyone.

Don't worry, he'll just move the goalposts again. Most Scots are easily
understood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Henson wrote:
I'll buy all you have for 50p in the quid. Or swap them for real
Monopoly
money if you prefer. Can't say fairer than that.

That's effectively what happens. If we took them in our pharmacy, we had
to list them separately on our bank paying in slips and they charged us
extra for handling them. I can't remember what the percentage was,
largely because we refused to take them, thus avoiding the hassle.

You'll not take credit cards either, then?

ISTR it being illegal to charge in any way for handling Scottish currency
within the UK.

--
*Too many clicks spoil the browse *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
Quite. And all this perhaps explains why many Scots would like
independence. The English-centric of so much. And then many English
complain about things being London-centric.

I've never really understood parochial views.

You're getting a good education on them here, then.

--
*Sometimes I wake up grumpy; Other times I let him sleep.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
On Thu, 01 May 2014 16:06:06 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Quite. And all this perhaps explains why many Scots would like
independence. The English-centric of so much. And then many English
complain about things being London-centric.

Population England: 55million
Population London: 10million (almost twice that of Scotland btw)

When damn close to 1 in 5 people live in London, it's inevitable.

Oh indeed - I understand that. But many don't.

--
*Just give me chocolate and nobody gets hurt

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
ISTR it being illegal to charge in any way for handling Scottish
currency within the UK.

But not illegal to refuse to take it ?

Since it's not legal tender, no. But then that applies to lots of things
used for payment these days. You are not obliged to take them if you don't
mind losing the business.

--
*Nostalgia isn't what is used to be.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave, I moved there from Fife and it took us about 2 years to understand
their dialect.
The best spoken English in my view is that of the people around the
Inverness area.

Nightjar wrote:
Given the problem my partner has in following their accent,

which one? there are many.

None of which does she find particularly intelligible.

Hmm. I seem to remember reading that the clearest accent in the UK is
actually from the NE of Scotland. Not dialect - just accent. It sure isn't
any English one. Too many whales and Wales sort of things.

--
*I got a job at a bakery because I kneaded dough.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Stewart wrote:
Dave, I moved there from Fife and it took us about 2 years to understand
their dialect.

Not talking about dialect - accent. A totally different thing.

The best spoken English in my view is that of the people around the
Inverness area.

I was told it was The Broch. Ie round about Fraserburgh.

Nightjar wrote:
Given the problem my partner has in following their accent,

which one? there are many.

None of which does she find particularly intelligible.

Hmm. I seem to remember reading that the clearest accent in the UK is
actually from the NE of Scotland. Not dialect - just accent. It sure isn't
any English one. Too many whales and Wales sort of things.

--
*Why is it that rain drops but snow falls?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Henson wrote
Rod Speed wrote
bert ] wrote
Andrew Mawson wrote

If the Scots leave the Union they've been
told that they cannot use the pound sterling.

Any country can use whatever currency they like.

Yep.

What the Scots have been told is that they can
have no say in the management of that currency,

They don't have any now, so that would be a complete yawn.

the most significant part of which is setting interest rates,

Those are in fact now set for completely different
reasons, particularly attempting some control over
the economy. Its one of the few levers any govt
has anymore. The other one is govt spending and
money printing, now called quantative easing.

which means less influence than they have now.

They are free to do whatever they like with
interest rates once they have left, and are
also free to do what they like with govt
spending within the constraints that the EU
in theory imposes on EU member countrys.

They wouldn't get to print sterling tho.

And we'd be free of having to deal with those
Scottish Monopoly Money notes they use.

Yep, just you are with USDs etc too.

And get to wear the downsides of what the US does too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar scribbled...

I had specifically mentioned Languedocian French, which I have quite a
lot of experience, but not much success, in trying to understand. To my
partner, who is originally German, many accents, particularly, for some
reason, Scottish accents, are equally difficult.

She's still German you prat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher scribbled...

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/i...-2014050186202

You ****ed again ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Henson writes:

And we'd be free of having to deal with those Scottish Monopoly Money notes
they use.

They could then make them Legal Tender in Scotland.
Currently, they aren't Legal Tender anywhere.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
They could equally drop the concept of legal tender entirely. It only
has a very limited meaning in the world of law and they have a different
legal system.

That would make sense.

I raised this on uk.legal.moderated and the consensus was that nobody
would miss it if the concept of legal tender disappeared. It is only
relevant when paying money into a Court and cash is probably the least
used method of doing that today.

You might change your mind if you were forced to accept the payment of a
(large) debt in pennies. ;-)

--
*How does Moses make his tea? Hebrews it.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Williamson writes:
Bearing in mind that one penny coins are only legal tender for payments
of 20p or less.

When I was a teenager, ticket vending machines were intoduced on
the local busses, rather than everyone having to queue up to pay
the driver. The machines were very dumb and didn't check the
value of the coins at all - they just printed an impression of
them along a strip of narrow bus ticket paper, which was your
ticket.

So I thought it would be interesting to pay my 30p bus fare in half-
pennies (still in use at the time). I popped into Woolworths next
to the bus stop, and changed 30p into half-pennies, and returned
to the bus queue with a couple of fistfulls of coins. As the doors
opened, I stepped up and dropped them all into the hopper. Instead
of the typical half second motor sound it usually made for each
payment, the motor was whirring like mad for 10 or more seconds and
clearly under some strain, sufficiently so that everyone, including
the driver, was turning around to see what went wrong, and I was
starting to think I'd broken the machine. But eventually, a 3 foot
long ticket shot out with the half-pennies all printed along it.
Actually, they weren't all printed, and whilst it normally got all
the coins imprinted laying flat, on this ticket lots overlapped.

--
Andrew Gabriel