Posted to alt.home.repair
ctd4x4

Default Help with PVC union...

I have a hose bib outside that comes up and out of the concrete
walkway. The 1/2" PVC pipe comes about 3/4" of an inch out of the
concrete before it meets with a coupling, then about a foot of 1/2"
pipe, and then the hose bib itself.

I've got a small leak between the upper part of the coupling and the
foot of pipe.

I've tried shutting the water off, drying it, purple priming it, and
then saturating it with Christy's Red Hot Blue glue. Leave the water
off all night, turn it on in the morning, and it still leaks!

Short of digging up the concrete, is there any better glue or way to
handle this little leak? Someone mentioned a fiberglass repair kit
would be a good idea.

Please help!

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

"ctd4x4" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a hose bib outside that comes up and out of the concrete
walkway. The 1/2" PVC pipe comes about 3/4" of an inch out of the
concrete before it meets with a coupling, then about a foot of 1/2"
pipe, and then the hose bib itself.

I've got a small leak between the upper part of the coupling and the
foot of pipe.

I've tried shutting the water off, drying it, purple priming it, and
then saturating it with Christy's Red Hot Blue glue. Leave the water
off all night, turn it on in the morning, and it still leaks!

Short of digging up the concrete, is there any better glue or way to
handle this little leak? Someone mentioned a fiberglass repair kit
would be a good idea.

Please help!

Quit screwing around and dig up the concrete. Anyone that exposes pvc for
any distance is just asking for trouble when it is connected to something
that can and will move like a hose bib.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

"SQLit" wrote in message ...

"ctd4x4" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Especially if the sun hits it.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

ctd4x4 wrote:

I have a hose bib outside that comes up and out of the concrete
walkway. The 1/2" PVC pipe comes about 3/4" of an inch out of the
concrete before it meets with a coupling, then about a foot of 1/2"
pipe, and then the hose bib itself.

I've got a small leak between the upper part of the coupling and the
foot of pipe.

I've tried shutting the water off, drying it, purple priming it, and
then saturating it with Christy's Red Hot Blue glue. Leave the water
off all night, turn it on in the morning, and it still leaks!

Short of digging up the concrete, is there any better glue or way to
handle this little leak? Someone mentioned a fiberglass repair kit
would be a good idea.

Please help!

Hi,
Sooner or later you are going to dig up the concrete but I'd try one
thing. Cut the PVC pipe flush with concrete surface and tap in a male
brass fitting with plenty of teflon tape or epoxy. If it holds, you can
attach bib or whatever.
Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband

I have a hose bib outside that comes up and out of the concrete
walkway. The 1/2" PVC pipe comes about 3/4" of an inch out of the
concrete before it meets with a coupling, then about a foot of 1/2"
pipe, and then the hose bib itself.
I've got a small leak between the upper part of the coupling and the
foot of pipe.

I agree with the other posters, exposed pvc pipe isn't going to hold up
very well outdoors, either due to sun exposure or just the stress of people
bumping the hose bib and breaking the fragile PVC.

If the pipe is fairly close to the edge of the walkway, I would dig up the
line under the walk, and then use a masonry bit to widen the hole. Run a
metal pipe down through the concrete, then make a new connection with the
PVC line underground.

Otherwise, relocate the bib somewhere else and abandon the one in the walk,
or tear out a section of walk and rebuild it.

Anthony

WTB in UK Union Graduate spares. jamesy Woodturning 0 February 18th 06 12:39 PM
Union or JIB rates for Bricklayers / Carpenters ??? the pilot UK diy 13 February 11th 06 03:59 PM
GMB Union gastec UK diy 348 January 3rd 06 09:47 PM
Please join the Dielectric Union [email protected] Home Repair 3 December 19th 05 09:54 PM
Union (fitting) required? Glenn G. Chappell Home Repair 7 June 4th 05 11:44 PM