Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is your Samsung SMART TV down ?

I have a Samsung 46es6800 Smart TV.

BBCiPlayer, Ch4 player etc all complaining of no internet connection
(on known good wired Ethernet connection)

Spent a fun Hr trying to reset & reload Samsung SMART Hub ... and have
now found that others have same problem, there is a fire in a Samsung
factory in S.Korea that has taken Samsung Smart Hub service off line.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/20/s...tage-sds-fire/

Does this sound plausible ?

I would have expected that the TV would connect via ISP for it's media
content, and certainly not have to stream via S.Korea.
Fair enough you have to load app from app sore that is in S,Korea ...
but once you have it, would not expect to go outside country for content.

My phone (Samsung GS4) is working fine ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/14 12:20, Rick Hughes wrote:
I have a Samsung 46es6800 Smart TV.

BBCiPlayer, Ch4 player etc all complaining of no internet connection
(on known good wired Ethernet connection)

Spent a fun Hr trying to reset & reload Samsung SMART Hub ... and have
now found that others have same problem, there is a fire in a Samsung
factory in S.Korea that has taken Samsung Smart Hub service off line.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/20/s...tage-sds-fire/

Does this sound plausible ?

I would have expected that the TV would connect via ISP for it's media
content, and certainly not have to stream via S.Korea.
Fair enough you have to load app from app sore that is in S,Korea ...
but once you have it, would not expect to go outside country for content.

Wonder if it has some sort of phone-home thing going on... You have just
put me off buying one now!

You are right though, it should not need Samsung's services to work,
maybe just to get or update apps.

My phone (Samsung GS4) is working fine ...

That is almost pure Android - although compiled by Samsung with mods,
the Samsung-y dependent bits are compartmentalised to a few apps and the
FW update. The rest is straight from the Android app store.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2014 12:34, Tim Watts wrote:

That is almost pure Android - although compiled by Samsung with mods,
the Samsung-y dependent bits are compartmentalised to a few apps and the
FW update. The rest is straight from the Android app store.

I thought that but in the link I posted they said it impacted phones &
tablets.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rick Hughes wrote:
I have a Samsung 46es6800 Smart TV.

BBCiPlayer, Ch4 player etc all complaining of no internet connection
(on known good wired Ethernet connection)

OK here on this Samsung at 12.50 (not sure of the number - it's a 24" full
HD only a few months old.)

--
*A snooze button is a poor substitute for no alarm clock at all *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/14 12:47, Rick Hughes wrote:
On 20/04/2014 12:34, Tim Watts wrote:

That is almost pure Android - although compiled by Samsung with mods,
the Samsung-y dependent bits are compartmentalised to a few apps and the
FW update. The rest is straight from the Android app store.

I thought that but in the link I posted they said it impacted phones &
tablets.

Didn't affect my Note 3.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Tim Watts
escribió:

Wonder if it has some sort of phone-home thing going on... You have just
put me off buying one now!

You'd be crazy to buy one. They're full of bugs and vulns, and you're
dependent on the manufacturer to provide firmware updates. IMO it's
better to get a thick TV and a separate set-top box that can be swapped
out or upgraded to a more capable one.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/14 14:32, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , Tim Watts
escribió:

Wonder if it has some sort of phone-home thing going on... You have just
put me off buying one now!

You'd be crazy to buy one. They're full of bugs and vulns, and you're
dependent on the manufacturer to provide firmware updates. IMO it's
better to get a thick TV and a separate set-top box that can be swapped
out or upgraded to a more capable one.

I very much agree in general - I had expected more of Samsung though...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2014 12:20, Rick Hughes wrote:
I have a Samsung 46es6800 Smart TV.

Came back up around 1245 ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If this is right, then its obviously them being stupid by allowing all
their eggs in one basket, single point of failure. Surely they must have a
back up system.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Rick Hughes" wrote in message
I have a Samsung 46es6800 Smart TV.

BBCiPlayer, Ch4 player etc all complaining of no internet connection (on
known good wired Ethernet connection)

Spent a fun Hr trying to reset & reload Samsung SMART Hub ... and have
now found that others have same problem, there is a fire in a Samsung
factory in S.Korea that has taken Samsung Smart Hub service off line.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/20/s...tage-sds-fire/

Does this sound plausible ?

I would have expected that the TV would connect via ISP for it's media
content, and certainly not have to stream via S.Korea.
Fair enough you have to load app from app sore that is in S,Korea ... but
once you have it, would not expect to go outside country for content.

My phone (Samsung GS4) is working fine ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Some internet radios rely on a server that gives the up to date addresses of
stations, so all the user does is select the station. Could it be working
this way, if so it would need to look up the link on the server which is
down.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/14 16:45, Brian Gaff wrote:
Some internet radios rely on a server that gives the up to date addresses of
stations, so all the user does is select the station. Could it be working
this way, if so it would need to look up the link on the server which is
down.
Brian

That would be sensible enough - *if* the TV cached the results as these
lists do not change very often.

Cannot believe Samsung screwed up this badly!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Dave Plowman (News) , Griff wrote:

dave wrote:

In article ,
OK here on this Samsung at 12.50 (not sure of the number - it's a 24" full
HD only a few months old.)
--

I understand that this whole issue is because Samsung have provided for
the possibility of non free apps on the TV, and the link to Samsung.com is

It's a prety appalling architecture. Lest they could do is distribute it
so there's more than 1 server and they could reroute with a DNS change.
Or make TVs check a number of [possible websites in order and keep the
servers in different places.

This has happened a few times in the 2 or so years I've had my TV and
there's just nothing you can do but watch good old fashioned broadcast TV
or DVDs

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2014 19:46, Griff wrote:

It's a prety appalling architecture. Lest they could do is distribute it
so there's more than 1 server and they could reroute with a DNS change.
Or make TVs check a number of [possible websites in order and keep the
servers in different places.

Exactly what DNS should be used for

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2014 16:43, Brian Gaff wrote:
If this is right, then its obviously them being stupid by allowing all
their eggs in one basket, single point of failure. Surely they must have a
back up system.

Brian

Unfortunately many backup systems still require a manual switch,
obvioulsy things could be fully automatic (via as pointed out DNS) ...
but IT managers in corporates usually want to keep control in house ..
but it does allow for impcat such as this.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/14 19:46, Griff wrote:
replying to Dave Plowman (News) , Griff wrote:

dave wrote:

In article , OK here on this
Samsung at 12.50 (not sure of the number - it's a 24" full HD only a
few months old.) --

I understand that this whole issue is because Samsung have provided for
the possibility of non free apps on the TV, and the link to Samsung.com is
to check DRM status for the app before you run it. Unfortunately this
still applies even with free apps lik eNetflix, iPlayer etc.

It's a prety appalling architecture. Lest they could do is distribute it
so there's more than 1 server and they could reroute with a DNS change.
Or make TVs check a number of [possible websites in order and keep the
servers in different places.

Especially as noone would ever have time limited DRM apps - deal once at
install time like Android and be done.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Tim Watts
escribió:

I very much agree in general - I had expected more of Samsung though...

And on cue...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog.../The-computer-
viruses-coming-soon-to-a-TV-near-you.html

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Wonder if it has some sort of phone-home thing going on... You have just
put me off buying one now!

You'd be crazy to buy one.

I've several Samsung devices - Android phone and two TV's (series 5 and 6),
as well as a printer and DVD player.
In my experience Samsung hardware is unsurpassed,
but their software is strangely bad.
However, my series 6 TV seems to have improved quite a lot recently,
with 2 updates yesterday adding apps that are quite useful.

They're full of bugs and vulns, and you're
dependent on the manufacturer to provide firmware updates. IMO it's
better to get a thick TV and a separate set-top box that can be swapped
out or upgraded to a more capable one.

I just bought a Google Chromecast but haven't tried it yet.
I'm not clear if this could be use in the same way as a set-top box?
(It came with no instructions whatever.)

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/10777434/The-computer- viruses-coming-soon-to-a-TV-near-you.html

Not really that newsworthy, given that my several-years-old bedroom TV
runs Linux - a copy of the GPL fell out of the box when I unpacked it.

I think Samsung Smart TVs run a version of Linux,
as some Linux folder-names came up when I was playing with one.
(I was trying to work out how to deal with the error message on the TV
which said I needed to update Flash.)

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-04-21, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog.../The-computer-
viruses-coming-soon-to-a-TV-near-you.html

Not really that newsworthy, given that my several-years-old bedroom TV
runs Linux - a copy of the GPL fell out of the box when I unpacked it.

I was aware my TV was a linux box in disguise (similarly from the GPL in
the manual) what I had been unaware of for 6 years is that it has a fan
- completely unnoticeable until you mount it on a wall, then it become
noticeable :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/2014 12:42, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Wonder if it has some sort of phone-home thing going on... You have just
put me off buying one now!

You'd be crazy to buy one.

I've several Samsung devices - Android phone and two TV's (series 5 and 6),
as well as a printer and DVD player.
In my experience Samsung hardware is unsurpassed,
but their software is strangely bad.
However, my series 6 TV seems to have improved quite a lot recently,
with 2 updates yesterday adding apps that are quite useful.

did you get the updates 'over the air' ?

I did notice BBC sports app appear yesterday

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick Hughes wrote:

However, my series 6 TV seems to have improved quite a lot recently,
with 2 updates yesterday adding apps that are quite useful.

did you get the updates 'over the air' ?

Yes

I did notice BBC sports app appear yesterday

I'm in Italy at the moment,
and an app appeared giving (restricted) access
to the main TV channel (RAI-1) here.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 1305591 20140421 124255 Timothy Murphy wrote:
Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Wonder if it has some sort of phone-home thing going on... You have just
put me off buying one now!

You'd be crazy to buy one.

I've several Samsung devices - Android phone and two TV's (series 5 and 6),
as well as a printer and DVD player.
In my experience Samsung hardware is unsurpassed,
but their software is strangely bad.
However, my series 6 TV seems to have improved quite a lot recently,
with 2 updates yesterday adding apps that are quite useful.

They're full of bugs and vulns, and you're
dependent on the manufacturer to provide firmware updates. IMO it's
better to get a thick TV and a separate set-top box that can be swapped
out or upgraded to a more capable one.

I just bought a Google Chromecast but haven't tried it yet.
I'm not clear if this could be use in the same way as a set-top box?
(It came with no instructions whatever.)

Are you sure? Mine came with set-up instructions and was up and going in
5 minutes. I've mostly used it for youtube on the TV (sport & concerts).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Timothy Murphy wrote:
I just bought a Google Chromecast but haven't tried it yet.
(It came with no instructions whatever.)

Should have been brief (but that's all you need) instructions in the box ...

1) install the chromecast app (I used the android version, I believe you
can do this step on an iOS or Windows device too).

2) Plug dongle into HDMI port.

3) Plug USB power into dongle (I bet HDMI spec now wishes it had
supplied 5V power).

4) Run the app which detects the dongle

5) Push settings (name, wifi details) to the dongle, possibly wait for
dongle to update its firmware and restart.

I'm not clear if this could be use in the same way as a set-top box?

Not really the same, you don't "use" the dongle as a device in its own
right, you just treat it as an alternate output for other devices.

On android, make sure you've updated apps such as iPlayer and YouTube to
latest versions, they should gain a "cast" icon, which toggles whether
they play media locally, or to the dongle.

Works nicely for what it does, YMMV especially if trying to access UK
content when not in the Uk.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 08:08:05 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

3) Plug USB power into dongle (I bet HDMI spec now wishes it had
supplied 5V power).

It does, pin 18 5 V but only 50 mA (250 mW).

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2014 14:32, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
You'd be crazy to buy one. They're full of bugs and vulns, and you're
dependent on the manufacturer to provide firmware updates. IMO it's
better to get a thick TV and a separate set-top box that can be swapped
out or upgraded to a more capable one.

I couldn't _find_ a stupid TV. I wanted just a monitor - no tuner, no
speaker, nothing. We ended up with something with built-in iPlayer etc -
because it handled movement well.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick Hughes wrote:

a fire in a Samsung factory in S.Korea that has taken Samsung Smart
Hub service off line.

Service notice popped onto mine

"SMART TV down for maintenance 08/05/2014 06:00-06:30"

A second site being added perhaps?