Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 40inch Samsung Smart 3D TV & using Skype

Hi all,
Can anyone help please?

I am trying to help a friend set up their new Smart TV, they bought
to be able to use Skype on it.

On setting the set up an onscreen keyboard is available to type in
postcode etc.

But on trying to activate the built in Skype application, I cannot get
the on screen keyboard to appear to type in the Skype account name and
password!

The set has USB slots can I just plug in a USB Keyboard and it will
allow me to enter the account details?

40inch Samsung Smart 3D TV & using Skype
40" F7000 Series 7 Smart 3D Full HD LED TV
Model: UE40F7000ST
SESK Model no: UE40F7000STXXU
JLP Model Code: 82452245

Mick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mick
writes

I am trying to help a friend set up their new Smart TV, they bought
to be able to use Skype on it.

On setting the set up an onscreen keyboard is available to type in
postcode etc.

But on trying to activate the built in Skype application, I cannot get
the on screen keyboard to appear to type in the Skype account name and
password!

The set has USB slots can I just plug in a USB Keyboard and it will
allow me to enter the account details?

I bought the Perixx PERIDUO-707W PLUS UK wireless kb & mouse from Amazon
for my Samsung Smart TV and they work reliably.

--
Simon

12) The Second Rule of Expectations
An EXPECTATION is a Premeditated resentment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/06/13 18:01, postmaster @ stejonda wrote:
In message , Mick
writes

I am trying to help a friend set up their new Smart TV, they bought
to be able to use Skype on it.

On setting the set up an onscreen keyboard is available to type in
postcode etc.

But on trying to activate the built in Skype application, I cannot get
the on screen keyboard to appear to type in the Skype account name and
password!

The set has USB slots can I just plug in a USB Keyboard and it will
allow me to enter the account details?

I bought the Perixx PERIDUO-707W PLUS UK wireless kb & mouse from
Amazon for my Samsung Smart TV and they work reliably.

+1
when I bought a 32" smart Samsung TV, the guy in the shop said "forget
the web browser, its unusable without the extra wireless key board"
After an hour in which I failed to actually enter a URL into the browser
at all, I have concluded he was essentially correct.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

when I bought a 32" smart Samsung TV, the guy in the shop said "forget
the web browser, its unusable without the extra wireless key board"
After an hour in which I failed to actually enter a URL into the browser
at all, I have concluded he was essentially correct.

Which series?
I have 2 Samsung smart TVs (in different places),
one series 5 and the other series 6.
There seems to be quite a big difference between them.

However, I find the software on both of them bizarre.
Eg when I try to watch some stations on the series 6 model through WiFi
I am told I need a newer version of Flash,
but I can see no way of installing that or indeed anything
except the Samsung updates which are occasionally downloaded automatically.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have 2 Samsung smart TVs (in different places),
one series 5 and the other series 6.
There seems to be quite a big difference between them.

However, I find the software on both of them bizarre.
Eg when I try to watch some stations on the series 6 model through WiFi
I am told I need a newer version of Flash,
but I can see no way of installing that or indeed anything
except the Samsung updates which are occasionally downloaded automatically.

There's a procedure whereby you load the upgrade on a flash memory
stick into the USB port and set the TV to look there.
You need to read your manual properly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

However, I find the software on both of them bizarre.
Eg when I try to watch some stations on the series 6 model through WiFi
I am told I need a newer version of Flash,
but I can see no way of installing that or indeed anything
except the Samsung updates which are occasionally downloaded
automatically.

There's a procedure whereby you load the upgrade on a flash memory
stick into the USB port and set the TV to look there.
You need to read your manual properly.

Thanks for the suggestion.
I did briefly look at the 679 page manual,
but I admit I did not study it diligently enough.
I shall spend next weekend reading it thoroughly ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/06/2013 10:22, Timothy Murphy wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion.
I did briefly look at the 679 page manual,
but I admit I did not study it diligently enough.
I shall spend next weekend reading it thoroughly ...

Isn't there an index or contents page? Isn't 80% written in other
european languages? :-)

Years ago when the first Amstrad IBM PC compatible launched, I remember
Nicholas Parsons holding up a 600 page manual and proclaiming that he
was not likely to be found reading the entire thing before attempting to
use his computer. Of course that was not a prerequsite, but sure he made
some headlines out of it...

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 18:54:03 +0100, Adrian C wrote:

I did briefly look at the 679 page manual, but I admit I did not

study
it diligently enough. I shall spend next weekend reading it

thoroughly

Isn't there an index or contents page? Isn't 80% written in other
european languages? :-)

Our Panasonic telly (vaugely intellegent, not "smart" but has iPlayer
(it didn't when we bought it, that arrived with an over-the-air
firmware update) has a 107 page manual, the Bluray 143, just
English...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Skype Problem Jim Thompson[_3_] Electronic Schematics 0 December 30th 10 03:30 PM
Skype Video Jim Thompson Electronic Schematics 3 October 1st 09 05:12 AM
Skype Mick Cant UK diy 9 March 13th 09 05:23 PM
USB Skype Adaptors [email protected] Electronics 0 February 26th 08 03:47 AM
Can anyone help me fix my Skype? SteveB Home Repair 19 August 11th 07 03:32 PM