Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default how to remove mosaic tiles off without damaging skimmed plasterboard?

I have a kitchen that has breezeblock walls. On this there is dot and
dabbed plasterboard. This plasterboard has been skimmed.

The previous owners have managed to remove the old tiles sucessfully and
then retiled using mosaic tiles. These mosaic tiles appear to be 15mm by
15mm.

8 by 8 of these tiles appear to have a hessian back to them (obviously
designed to make tiling easier in the first place)

I have a requirement to remove these mosiac tiles. However, no matter
how careful I am, I cannot get the tiles and tile adhesive to seperate
cleanly without damaging the plasterboard.

I find that the skim plaster is coming off with the tiles taking the
paper off the PB too. In extreme cases, the plasterboard is coming away
with the tiles leaving me with holes in the plasterboard.

I can see myself having to remove the PB completely from floor to
ceiling and fitting new sheets.....

Anyone suggest a method that actually works?

Stephen
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2014 00:59, Stephen wrote:
[...]

I've come across this problem a couple of times. I couldn't find an
answer that didn't involve re boarding.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Apr 2014 00:59:45 +0100, Stephen wrote:

I find that the skim plaster is coming off with the tiles taking the
paper off the PB too. In extreme cases, the plasterboard is coming away
with the tiles leaving me with holes in the plasterboard.

You must be going some to be break holes in the plasterboard. Gently
gently with a broad (2 to 3") sharp thin scraper worked into the
joint and ease the tiles away. Slow mind ...

On the stubborn bits have you tried soaking the stubborn bits with
water with a drop of detergent and leaving for an hour or two? If the
adhesive use was a waterproof cement based one it won't make any
difference but a normal tile adhesive will soften a bit, if it does
gentle steaming might be quicker than passive soaking.

If time is an important factor stop faffing about and just rip the
lot down, then reboarding and skiming will be quicker. Though that
depends on how good you are at skimming and if you'd need to get a
man in.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
If time is an important factor stop faffing about and just rip the
lot down, then reboarding and skiming will be quicker. Though that
depends on how good you are at skimming and if you'd need to get a
man in.

If you're going to retile, you can get a good skim finish as
an amateur as you don't need to get a polish on it. I was quite
impressed with what I was able to do to prepare a wall for tiles.

Fully agree with ripping it down and replacing, though.

jgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2014 00:59, Stephen wrote:
I have a kitchen that has breezeblock walls. On this there is dot and
dabbed plasterboard. This plasterboard has been skimmed.

Anyone suggest a method that actually works?

nope .... re-skim the board ... or you may have to replace the board if
face damaged (likely)
Plasterboard - horrid stuff, did all my place with Fermacell .. no such
problems.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You can tile directly onto plasterboard without skimming. In fact a greater weight per square metre can be achieved than tiling onto skimmed board.The British Gypsum site book recommends tiling directly onto the background ie.. plasterboard rather than skimming.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mmm true but maybe they look forward to when its retiling time.... Iow reboarding time...

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It's my experience that no matter how you do it, removing tiles from plasterboard walls, is that lumps of adhesive get left on or the plaster skim comes off or both. Re-skimming such a damaged wall can be difficult for the amateur and obviously expensive to get a professional in. Considering that tiling is generally a long term wall covering and plasterboard is relatively cheap, re-boarding as Dave the Medway Handyman suggests is in my eyes a more favoured option especially when you consider it's adhesion qualities as mentioned in my previous post.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, April 20, 2014 12:59:45 AM UTC+1, Stephen wrote:
[...]

I cant believe what you ask is possible. Even if you managed it somehow, you'd be left with such a dog's dinner that you'd only waste more time levelling it all. Just replace tha PB, and as someone has said, no point skimming before tiling. Its also an opportunity to improve insulation if exterior. You could also reboard with cement board if you want water resistance, or to be able to remove tiles from it one day.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to The Medway Handyman, raskell wrote:
I work with mosaic (website reference http://www.artgsg.com/ ) and you will
have a hard time removing all of them without damaging.
If some pieces are needed to be replaced you can use chisel to take some off
but it`s not guaranteed to be a great solution.
I suggest to leave it as is

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...as-968120-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 30 December 2016 15:44:03 UTC, raskell wrote:
replying to The Medway Handyman, raskell wrote:
I work with mosaic (website reference http://www.artgsg.com/ ) and you will
have a hard time removing all of them without damaging.
If some pieces are needed to be replaced you can use chisel to take some off
but it`s not guaranteed to be a great solution.
I suggest to leave it as is

2+ years late. Get yourself a sensible newsgroup portal/client, people have no end of problems with the place you're using.

NT