Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Painting un-skimmed plasterboard

What do you do about the joints?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Count de Monet wrote:
What do you do about the joints?

Make features of them?

Or make grooves, and fill the grooves to hide them. You'll still get
cracks showing quite quickly, though.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3/13/2011 8:23 AM, Count de Monet wrote:
What do you do about the joints?

Tape and spackle.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 13 Mar,
Count de Monet wrote:

What do you do about the joints?

Use tapered board, tape and fill the joints.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 13, 1:33*pm, wrote:
On 13 Mar, *
* * *Count de Monet wrote:

What do you do about the joints?

Use tapered board, tape and fill the joints.

use a mesh tape, it allows the filler to go through but helps prevent
cracking. Did you use square edge or recessed/tapered?

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/2011 12:23, Count de Monet wrote:
What do you do about the joints?

Use self adhesive scrim tape over the joints, then cover the tape with
board jointing compound - feathering the edges.

I did a small stud wall this way, and the joints are completely invisible.

Assuming the board is screwed to studding, you also need to use jointing
compound over the screw heads.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 13, 2:57*pm, Roger Mills wrote:

Assuming the board is screwed to studding, you also need to use jointing
compound over the screw heads.

only if you're using non-plasterboard screws, and if the OP were he'd
be skimming, since they make such a mess of the board.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/2011 12:23, Count de Monet wrote:
What do you do about the joints?

This ceiling is in my workshop so I don't need it to be skimmed. I just
want to paint it white to help with keeping the place bright.

What about Brown Gummed Paper Packing Tape http://tinyurl.com/5w38bgy
this will cover the joints and screws, then just paint over.

Opinions?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Count de Monet" wrote in message
What do you do about the joints?

I put filler in the joints, then lining paper over the whole thing**, then
painted over the paper.

(** probably the wrong thing to do, nevertheless that's what I did and it
seemed to work out.)

--
Bartc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 13, 5:52*pm, Count de Monet wrote:
On 13/03/2011 12:23, Count de Monet wrote:

What do you do about the joints?

This ceiling is in my workshop so I don't need it to be skimmed. I just
want to paint it white to help with keeping the place bright.

What about Brown Gummed Paper Packing Tapehttp://tinyurl.com/5w38bgy
this will cover the joints and screws, then just paint over.

Opinions?

That's a standard method used in garages etc. The downside is in time
it peels - but its very easy to patch if/when it does.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 13, 5:52*pm, Count de Monet wrote:
On 13/03/2011 12:23, Count de Monet wrote:

What do you do about the joints?

This ceiling is in my workshop so I don't need it to be skimmed. I just
want to paint it white to help with keeping the place bright.

What about Brown Gummed Paper Packing Tapehttp://tinyurl.com/5w38bgy
this will cover the joints and screws, then just paint over.

It will start to peel off as soon as the water in the emulsion soaks
in.

MBQ

Painting skimmed plasterboard Gary[_5_] UK diy 6 October 9th 08 10:07 PM
Painting Plasterboard Tom UK diy 12 September 18th 06 05:48 PM
Removing gloss paint from skimmed plasterboard Broadback UK diy 5 January 26th 06 04:47 PM
painting plasterboard Alasdair UK diy 4 March 8th 04 09:14 AM
Painting onto fresh plasterboard? Dave Jennings UK diy 17 November 20th 03 12:58 PM