Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Carpet fitters (& handymen)

Aunt is fitting a 12'x12' hand stitched carpet in a 15' x15' room .
I seem to remember (many moons ago) carpets were laid with a large
border of linoleum, then fitted carpets came along and carpets were
fitted to the wall. She would be looking to use underlay under the
carpet then leave bare the existing varnished wood flooring as a border.
The only problem I could foresee is the edge of the carpet fraying how
is this dealt with. Is it bound like a rug, is the end of the carpet
turned over and held with tacks, is the whole carpet laid with a border
(like a picture frame) or some other method I haven't thought of?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

soup wrote:
Aunt is fitting a 12'x12' hand stitched carpet in a 15' x15' room .
Is it bound like a rug,

Preferably

is the end of the carpet turned over and held with tacks,

can be but you will have a ridge, esp at the corners.

is the whole carpet laid with a border
(like a picture frame)

not usually domestically although carpet edge strip is used commercially.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Aunt is fitting a 12'x12' hand stitched carpet in a 15' x15' room .
I seem to remember (many moons ago) carpets were laid with a large
border of linoleum, then fitted carpets came along and carpets were
fitted to the wall. She would be looking to use underlay under the
carpet then leave bare the existing varnished wood flooring as a border.
The only problem I could foresee is the edge of the carpet fraying how
is this dealt with. Is it bound like a rug, is the end of the carpet
turned over and held with tacks, is the whole carpet laid with a border
(like a picture frame) or some other method I haven't thought of?

We have similar in our lounge. A large rug basically just lays on top of the
parquet flooring with a bit of none slip netting stuff under it. The current
one is a bought rug its predecessor a piece of regular carpet with the edges
bound. Whipped, I think they call it, which was done by the carpet shop
where we bought it.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, April 16, 2014 11:35:58 AM UTC+1, soup wrote:

Aunt is fitting a 12'x12' hand stitched carpet in a 15' x15' room .
I seem to remember (many moons ago) carpets were laid with a large
border of linoleum, then fitted carpets came along and carpets were
fitted to the wall. She would be looking to use underlay under the
carpet then leave bare the existing varnished wood flooring as a border.
The only problem I could foresee is the edge of the carpet fraying how
is this dealt with. Is it bound like a rug, is the end of the carpet
turned over and held with tacks, is the whole carpet laid with a border
(like a picture frame) or some other method I haven't thought of?

Normally the rug/carpet edge is whipped as Mike said. I have occasionally also seen it set in a wooden trim border, sometimes sunk to approximately match the floor height.

Usually the floor round it is painted. Its best painted wood colour or similar, as no paint is overly durable in this task. Adding underlay would increase the trip hazard of the raised edges.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I suppose with a possible trip hazard, one could find some shiny covering
that was around the same thickness as the carpet and put a low profile strip
on the join all the way around the room but its going to then be obvious how
unsquare rooms are.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active