Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default LEDs obsolete?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ght-skies.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/03/2014 18:19, harryagain wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ght-skies.html

Unusual for the Daily Wail to have a positive story, but they are wildly
optimistic about the power of bioluminesence. You might just about get
enough light to see by when fully dark adapted but you are not going to
replace streetlamps or even notice them in moonlight.

Fireflies have special organs to concentrate the active ingredients and
none of the luminescent biomarkers are remotely as good. They are used
in genetic modification to tag and mark sequences that are switched on.

I knew someone who worked on glowing potatoes a long while back.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/..._99/446837.stm

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gawd help us all.

So maybe we could glow ourselves?
One issue with this is that the eneergy usage of any organism with a useful
light output has to go up over its dark relatives, so how efficient is this
and how do we propose to feed them what they need?
I can recall a similar discussion many years ago about substances that
absorb full spectrum light in the day and emit it at a narrow band during
the dark. Obviously there has to be a limit to the storage and how can it
know that its dark to emit it?
Brian

Email:

Old TV arials - now obsolete? AL_n UK diy 6 July 3rd 11 01:58 PM
Obsolete? (commentary) Woodworking 8 June 1st 07 06:41 AM
Obsolete? (commentary) Woodworking 2 May 24th 07 10:29 PM
NEED Obsolete H.O.T 2SD1873 Sparkey Electronics Repair 3 October 1st 05 04:28 AM
Need source for obsolete MCB Andrew Gabriel UK diy 1 October 15th 04 12:47 PM