Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Obsolete? (commentary)

Try ereplacementparts.com; they show several housings that should work
Thanks for the link, but their (very nice) site was one I referred to in my web searching. I called and they weren't aware of any substitution - they apparently work from Skil info.

In an ideal world, any such derivative parts if they existed would

continue to be listed with older models they would support, but it
just ain't a gonna' happen...

Maybe someday somebody will invent a big electronic storage device, able to cross reference and search. Presuming the data gets entered.
Even if just the auto dealers and parts places bought one to cross reference trim panels that fit many year's vehicles and any color it would pay for itself.

Then again, if we consumers didn't accept a bell this year and a whistle the next year on a 'new model' . . .

The reason explained for obsolesence was that it's more expensive to repair than replace. Three screws hold it on (plus moving the rubber bumper over); a new saw is $70. I'm in the wrong business.

Thanks to the forum for letting me jump up and down. Now I gotta decide what color to get if I replace it.

Part #
2610341304 MOTOR HOUSING Obsolete - Not Available $12.65
(Skil calls it an upper guard assembly)

Posted to rec.woodworking

I don't know if this saw has some sentimental value or if you are just
hacked off because like the rest of us, you are feeling slighted by
the tool manufacturers these days.

I have a Milwaukee circular saw that is about 30 years old. I rebuilt
it (bearings, brushes, switches, cords) as needed for years. But now
parts are so expensive for it, I can literally buy a new Milwaukee for
less.

When I need parts for an old favorite, I keep an eye on the pawn shops
for some old junkers (when I have time) as well as ebay. I retired
that oldest Milwaukee as I found one in literally perfect shape that I
won on ebay for $77 or so to the door. It was the spittin' image of
my old favorite and never saw more than a cut or two in its life. It
even had the original steel blade (the saw was about 20 years old) on
it.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 25 May 2007 09:17:18 -0700, "
wrote:

[...]

Craftsman used to make some decent tools. I have a well made drill
that I used and abused for about 25 years. Replaced bearings and
brushes and other parts as needed.

Now it's time to get a gear for it. "Unavailable".

I had a Craftsman tablesaw from the mid 80s. I wanted to replace the
insert with a zero clearance one. Because of it's shape it would be
difficult to make one. "Unavailable".

Both of them had online parts diagrams and parts lists. They just
make a few select parts unavailable (and probably a few more each
year) so that you have to buy a new one. The drill you have is
useless junk without that planetary gear.

I have now developed an obsession to finding a replacement part for it
before I die. I know I'll run across an old one with a bad switch at
a garage sale. Screw the K-Mart managers who now run Sears. I'll
never buy another drill from them.

Bob the Tomato
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bob the Tomato" wrote in message
[...]

Don't blame the managers, blame the consumer. It does take up space, ties
up dollars, etc to carry repair parts and they are usually priced to take
care of all of that. But, look at reality. Of the hundreds of thousands
of drills sold in 1980, how many do you think are still around? How many
people repair anything today? Aside from a few guys here, most consumers
are quick to just toss that tool that is not running so it is not at all
practical to carry parts 25 years later. Sears (as well as their supplier)
are in business to make a profit and I doubt there is much profit in 25 year
old parts.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob the Tomato wrote:

| I had a Craftsman tablesaw from the mid 80s. I wanted to replace
| the insert with a zero clearance one. Because of it's shape it
| would be difficult to make one. "Unavailable".

Do you still have the saw? If you do, and can provide a copy of the
drawing, then I may be able to help (or a local machine shop may be
able to make one for you.)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob the Tomato wrote:
On 25 May 2007 09:17:18 -0700, "
wrote:

[...]

I have a Craftsman bandsaw from about 1940. It had a badly damaged

drive shaft. A sometimes poster (sorry about my senior memory, but I
have forgoten your handle) made me a new one. Other than that it works
just fine.
mahalo,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 31 May 2007 10:25:45 -0500, "Morris Dovey"
wrote:

Bob the Tomato wrote:

| I had a Craftsman tablesaw from the mid 80s. I wanted to replace
| the insert with a zero clearance one. Because of it's shape it
| would be difficult to make one. "Unavailable".

Do you still have the saw? If you do, and can provide a copy of the
drawing, then I may be able to help (or a local machine shop may be
able to make one for you.)

I appreciate the offer. I actually looked up the price of phenolic
sheet stock at Mcmaster Carr... It would be a little difficult to
make because it's 1/8" thick around the edges and 1/4" thick in the
middle. Add an unusual round-in-the-front, flat-in-the-back shape and
it kept getting more difficult. CNC would be just the ticket. If the
saw didn't have some other serious shortcomings, I would take you up
on it!

So I ended up foisting it off on my father-in-law in return for
borrowing his truck to pick up a "real saw". :-)

Got the Jet 3 HP with 50" bessey clone, and the monster sliding table.
I am REALLY looking forward to the weekend when I can get this thing
put together and lined up.

Hooo-ah!
Bob the Tomato
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob the Tomato wrote:

| CNC would be just the ticket.
| If the saw didn't have some other serious shortcomings, I would
| take you up on it!

Ok (phew!) Someday (RSN?!) I'm going to build a whole library of part
programs for blank inserts. (Probably right after all the rest of the
stuff catagorized as "RSN") :-)

| So I ended up foisting it off on my father-in-law in return for
| borrowing his truck to pick up a "real saw". :-)
|
| Got the Jet 3 HP with 50" bessey clone, and the monster sliding
| table. I am REALLY looking forward to the weekend when I can get
| this thing put together and lined up.

Yeah - you suck.

| Hooo-ah!

:-D

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 00:21:43 -0500, "Morris Dovey"
wrote:

Bob the Tomato wrote:

| CNC would be just the ticket.
| If the saw didn't have some other serious shortcomings, I would
| take you up on it!

Ok (phew!) Someday (RSN?!) I'm going to build a whole library of part
programs for blank inserts. (Probably right after all the rest of the
stuff catagorized as "RSN") :-)

| So I ended up foisting it off on my father-in-law in return for
| borrowing his truck to pick up a "real saw". :-)
|
| Got the Jet 3 HP with 50" bessey clone, and the monster sliding
| table. I am REALLY looking forward to the weekend when I can get
| this thing put together and lined up.

Yeah - you suck.

| Hooo-ah!

:-D

Finally, I get to be on the RECEIVING end of 'you suck'... :-)

Bob the Tomato

Obsolete? (commentary) Woodworking 2 May 24th 07 11:29 PM
How to throw away obsolete electronics Daniel Santos UK diy 40 March 24th 06 02:07 AM
Back boilers now obsolete? Mike Gates UK diy 7 November 29th 05 09:55 PM
NEED Obsolete H.O.T 2SD1873 Sparkey Electronics Repair 3 October 1st 05 05:28 AM
Photo album and commentary by someone from New Orleans Studly Hungwell Metalworking 0 September 11th 05 06:58 PM