Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default bayonet lampholders

I've had several of these break when the lamp is inserted.
Especially the ones moulded from bakelite.
They are then useless and have to be replaced.
It's only the UK that uses them, and I can see them being
phased out before long.
Much better to replace them with GES lampholders and fit
GES lamps.

Jim Hawkins

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 25 February 2014 18:10:02 UTC, Jim Hawkins wrote:
I've had several of these break when the lamp is inserted.

Especially the ones moulded from bakelite.

They are then useless and have to be replaced.

It's only the UK that uses them, and I can see them being

phased out before long.

Not quite true. The French use them too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim Hawkins" wrote in message
m...
I've had several of these break when the lamp is inserted.
Especially the ones moulded from bakelite.
They are then useless and have to be replaced.
It's only the UK that uses them, and I can see them being
phased out before long.
Much better to replace them with GES lampholders and fit
GES lamps.

You mean ES. GES is enormous and was used fo 500w plus incandescent lamps in
the UK.

There are problems with ES lampholders too.
Don't buy el cheapo lampholders.

Bakelite hasn't been used for years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 25 February 2014 18:10:02 UTC, Jim Hawkins wrote:
I've had several of these break when the lamp is inserted.

Especially the ones moulded from bakelite.

They are then useless and have to be replaced.

It's only the UK that uses them, and I can see them being

phased out before long.

Much better to replace them with GES lampholders and fit

GES lamps.

Jim Hawkins

er.... Giant Edison Screw - ?? really?!

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/14 18:18, Jim K wrote:
On Tuesday, 25 February 2014 18:10:02 UTC, Jim Hawkins wrote:
I've had several of these break when the lamp is inserted.

Especially the ones moulded from bakelite.

They are then useless and have to be replaced.

It's only the UK that uses them, and I can see them being

phased out before long.

Much better to replace them with GES lampholders and fit

GES lamps.

Jim Hawkins

er.... Giant Edison Screw - ?? really?!

Jim K

Goliath Edison Screen apparently (E39/E40)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edison_screw#Fittings

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 25 February 2014 18:30:05 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
On 25/02/14 18:18, Jim K wrote:

On Tuesday, 25 February 2014 18:10:02 UTC, Jim Hawkins wrote:

I've had several of these break when the lamp is inserted.

Especially the ones moulded from bakelite.

They are then useless and have to be replaced.

It's only the UK that uses them, and I can see them being

phased out before long.

Much better to replace them with GES lampholders and fit

GES lamps.

Jim Hawkins

er.... Giant Edison Screw - ?? really?!

Jim K

Goliath Edison Screen apparently (E39/E40)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edison_screw#Fittings

see your wiki & raise you a Lyco

"GES (Giant/Goliath Edison Screw)."

;)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, February 25, 2014 6:10:02 PM UTC, Jim Hawkins wrote:

I've had several of these break when the lamp is inserted.
Especially the ones moulded from bakelite.
They are then useless and have to be replaced.
It's only the UK that uses them, and I can see them being
phased out before long.
Much better to replace them with GES lampholders and fit
GES lamps.
Jim Hawkins

I expect the words you're looking for are 'imagine' and 'ES.'

ES holders have a few downsides over BC:
bulbs more often jam in the socket
bulbs sometimes unscrew themselves
greater shock risk

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim Hawkins" wrote in message
m...
I've had several of these break when the lamp is inserted.
Especially the ones moulded from bakelite.
They are then useless and have to be replaced.
It's only the UK that uses them, and I can see them being
phased out before long.
Much better to replace them with GES lampholders and fit
GES lamps.

Jim Hawkins

I stand corrected. Not 'GES' but E27 is the one I meant.

Jim Hawkins

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"therustyone" wrote in message
On Tuesday, 25 February 2014 18:10:02 UTC, Jim Hawkins wrote:
I've had several of these break when the lamp is inserted.

Especially the ones moulded from bakelite.

They are then useless and have to be replaced.

It's only the UK that uses them, and I can see them being

phased out before long.

Not quite true. The French use them too.

I didn't know that. Any sign of their being phased out ?

Jim Hawkins

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim Hawkins wrote:

Not quite true. The French use them too.

Hence the name. 'Bayonet' means 'burnt fingers' in French.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

Today is Sweetmorn, the 56th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3180
"Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Peevishness For The
Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Ire That Are
Themselves The Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Wrath"

What's the ****ing point of a sig like that?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright

Jim Hawkins wrote:

Not quite true. The French use them too.

Hence the name. 'Bayonet' means 'burnt fingers' in French.

Bill/q

:-D
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2014 18:10, Jim Hawkins wrote:
I've had several of these break when the lamp is inserted.
Especially the ones moulded from bakelite.
They are then useless and have to be replaced.
It's only the UK that uses them, and I can see them being
phased out before long.

Maybe, when they reach their centenary - if they haven't already!

They've been around since before I was born - and I'm in my 70's. I
don't see them disappearing any time soon.

The decent ones have metal linings anyway - which continue to hold the
bulb even if the outer plastic breaks off round the bayonet slot.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2014 22:46, Roger Mills wrote:
On 25/02/2014 18:10, Jim Hawkins wrote:
I've had several of these break when the lamp is inserted.
Especially the ones moulded from bakelite.
They are then useless and have to be replaced.
It's only the UK that uses them, and I can see them being
phased out before long.

Maybe, when they reach their centenary - if they haven't already!

They've been around since before I was born - and I'm in my 70's. I
don't see them disappearing any time soon.

The decent ones have metal linings anyway - which continue to hold the
bulb even if the outer plastic breaks off round the bayonet slot.

The decent ones are metal. (IMHO)

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 26/02/2014 00:03, Michael Chare wrote:
On 25/02/2014 22:46, Roger Mills wrote:
On 25/02/2014 18:10, Jim Hawkins wrote:
I've had several of these break when the lamp is inserted.
Especially the ones moulded from bakelite.
They are then useless and have to be replaced.
It's only the UK that uses them, and I can see them being
phased out before long.

Maybe, when they reach their centenary - if they haven't already!

They've been around since before I was born - and I'm in my 70's. I
don't see them disappearing any time soon.

The decent ones have metal linings anyway - which continue to hold the
bulb even if the outer plastic breaks off round the bayonet slot.

The decent ones are metal. (IMHO)

I`ll put it down to cheapo production. Going back to my parents house
they must have had bayonet sockets that lasted, well they were in that
house for 40 years and never replaced one and thats with some sockets
having 100w bulbs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
Huge wrote:

Today is Sweetmorn, the 56th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3180
"Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Peevishness For The
Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Ire That Are
Themselves The Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Wrath"

What's the ****ing point of a sig like that?

It lights a fire under people like you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

Today is Sweetmorn, the 56th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3180
"Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Peevishness For The
Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Ire That Are
Themselves The Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Wrath"

What's the ****ing point of a sig like that?

It lights a fire under people like you.

At the moment I'd welcome that.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote in news:ZTYFQ5AEcVDTFw86
@jasper.org.uk:

En el artículo ,
escribió:

ES holders have a few downsides over BC:
bulbs more often jam in the socket
bulbs sometimes unscrew themselves
greater shock risk

existing BC lampshades won't fit ES lampholders

I believe that Henry Royce took out a patent for the Bayonet Lampholder in
1897. (not sure what particular feature):
http://rrecnorthernsection.org.uk/im...%20p1%20Royce%
20Bayonet%20Lamp%20Holder.jpg

--

DerbyBorn

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you buy the better quality ones they seem to have a metal bit inside as
well as the plastic nice looking bit. the beauty of them in the old days of
course was that the metal parts of the bulb were not connected to anything.
However with new cooler running bulbs this won't happen, but their weight
often puts a strain on the socket pins. Maybe there is a case for what you
say from the safety point of view then, as les types will always remain
potentially dangerous.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Jim Hawkins" wrote in message
m...
I've had several of these break when the lamp is inserted.
Especially the ones moulded from bakelite.
They are then useless and have to be replaced.
It's only the UK that uses them, and I can see them being
phased out before long.
Much better to replace them with GES lampholders and fit
GES lamps.

Jim Hawkins

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2014 09:33, Brian Gaff wrote:
I've also seen some with three pins on the side in some of those fire glow
coal effect systems.
Brian

They're a way to ensure that only (More expensive) energy saving bulbs
can be fitted to comply with some rule or other. It's been mentioned
here before as being de rigeur on new build houses.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John Williamson
wrote:
On 26/02/2014 09:33, Brian Gaff wrote:
I've also seen some with three pins on the side in some of those fire
glow coal effect systems. Brian

They're a way to ensure that only (More expensive) energy saving bulbs
can be fitted to comply with some rule or other. It's been mentioned
here before as being de rigeur on new build houses.

No they have extra pins because some of the control gear is in the fitting.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2014 09:33, Brian Gaff wrote:
I've also seen some with three pins on the side in some of those fire glow
coal effect systems.
Brian

Car rear brake/side lights have two bayonet pins that are depth offset
to ensure that the right filaments are used for brake and side light
functions. Doesn't work so well. I follow many oddly lit cars that the
owners have evidently managed to force the bulb in upside down.

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim Hawkins wrote:
I've had several of these break when the lamp is inserted.
Especially the ones moulded from bakelite.
They are then useless and have to be replaced.
It's only the UK that uses them, and I can see them being
phased out before long.
Much better to replace them with GES lampholders and fit
GES lamps.

You can still find brass and ceramic BC lampholders which will last a
lifetime. You gets what you pay for with all these things. A cheap ES
holder is just as likely to give problems eventually.

--
*Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian C wrote:
Car rear brake/side lights have two bayonet pins that are depth offset
to ensure that the right filaments are used for brake and side light
functions. Doesn't work so well. I follow many oddly lit cars that the
owners have evidently managed to force the bulb in upside down.

Or there is a ground problem with the rear lights - far more common. Twin
filament stop/tail bulbs aren't as universal as once - with the larger
rear lights now popular, many have separate bulbs. And of course LED is
becoming the norm.

--
*Kill one man and you're a murderer, kill a million youand 're a conqueror.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 2,
DerbyBorn writes

I believe that Henry Royce took out a patent for the Bayonet Lampholder in
1897

whoa. and still in use 117 years later. Not bad going :-)

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Bill Wright
writes

What's the ****ing point of a sig like that?

It's more interesting than your constant banging on about reds under the
bed in the BBC for sure.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim Hawkins formulated the question :
I've had several of these break when the lamp is inserted.
Especially the ones moulded from bakelite.
They are then useless and have to be replaced.
It's only the UK that uses them, and I can see them being
phased out before long.
Much better to replace them with GES lampholders and fit
GES lamps.

Jim Hawkins

Except that GES tend to be made for other than UK where they use 230v,
where as you have a better chance of a genuine 240v lamp buying BC.

It might well say 220 - 240v on the box, but they will last 5 minutes.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 26 February 2014 10:40:12 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,

Adrian C wrote:

Car rear brake/side lights have two bayonet pins that are depth offset

to ensure that the right filaments are used for brake and side light

functions. Doesn't work so well. I follow many oddly lit cars that the

owners have evidently managed to force the bulb in upside down.

Or there is a ground problem with the rear lights - far more common.

can you elaborate? why would a ground issue make the brake filament light when car lights are on? (and vice versa)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim K wrote:
Or there is a ground problem with the rear lights - far more common.

can you elaborate? why would a ground issue make the brake filament
light when car lights are on? (and vice versa)

With no ground a circuit may find a ground via another different circuit.
When that is powered up the first one looses that ground. Hence things
like a tail light flashing on and off in sync with the flashers. Or any
other combination, really.

--
*Why is the third hand on the watch called a second hand?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff put finger to keyboard:

I've also seen some with three pins on the side in some of those fire
glow coal effect systems.
Brian

BR passenger rolling stock used to (in the 80s) use three-pin bayonet
fittings, presumably to prevent theft.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 12:13:46 +0000, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

In article , Bill Wright
writes

What's the ****ing point of a sig like that?

It's more interesting than your constant banging on about reds under the
bed in the BBC for sure.

True enough but not as 'interesting' as Uncle Pete's sig lines which,
although they often break the netiquette rule of 'no more than four
lines', do at least have the merit of variety and can sometimes raise
a smile. :-)

Bill does have a point but it's one I wouldn't normally waste any
time upon. I've been seeing this crap for many years now without
seeing any objections raised so just assumed it was "Just me then?".

I think Huge's sig line is a needless irritation and wonder at the
mentality responsible for repeatedly inflicting such tosh on the group
readership.

It makes about as much sense (and is equally as irritating) as the
bold claims declared by AV software advertising its presence on the
computer used to generate the posting.
--
Regards, J B Good

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-02-25, Jim Hawkins wrote:
I've had several of these break when the lamp is inserted.
Especially the ones moulded from bakelite.
They are then useless and have to be replaced.
It's only the UK that uses them, and I can see them being
phased out before long.
Much better to replace them with GES lampholders and fit
GES lamps.

Except when you try to unscrew a dead bulb and the base is seized
into the lampholder, and snaps off. If you're lucky it gouges you in
the hand. If you're *really* lucky, the lampholder is wired "back
to front" and the screw thread is live, too.

I have memories of trying to remove a bayonet light bulb that had been
in the fitting so long that the spring contacts of the fitting had
deeply impressed themselves into the solder of the bulb contacts. The
results were not dissimilar.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Johny B Good wrote:
On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 12:13:46 +0000, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

In , Bill Wright
writes

[...]

I've never noticed the sig lines!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Huge

On 2014-02-26, Johny B Good wrote:

I think Huge's sig line is a needless irritation and wonder at the
mentality responsible for repeatedly inflicting such tosh on the group
readership.

Jesus, another whiney **** doing the "look at me, Mum, I'm anonymous"
**** with crap software and less brains.

**** you.

*plonk*

Today is Boomtime, the 57th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3180
"Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Peevishness For The
Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Ire That Are
Themselves The Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Wrath"

Yes, what is this utter cock?

*hides*

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-02-26, Johny B Good wrote:
On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 12:13:46 +0000, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

In article , Bill Wright
writes

[...]

Well, that saves me wondering about his 'mentality' then. :-)
--
Regards, J B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2014 22:47, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Huge

On 2014-02-26, Johny B Good wrote:

I think Huge's sig line is a needless irritation and wonder at the
mentality responsible for repeatedly inflicting such tosh on the group
readership.

Jesus, another whiney **** doing the "look at me, Mum, I'm anonymous"
**** with crap software and less brains.

**** you.

*plonk*

Today is Boomtime, the 57th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3180
"Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Peevishness For The
Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Ire That Are
Themselves The Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Wrath"

Yes, what is this utter cock?

The date is from the Discordian calendar and the following text is the
name of a space ship in the Culture series.

Colin Bignell

GU10 lampholders - getting paint orf Mike Tomlinson UK diy 12 September 25th 13 01:11 PM
Brass Pendant Lampholders [email protected] UK diy 5 August 27th 13 04:31 PM
Where to find decorative lampholders (?) Bob(but not THAT Bob) Home Repair 0 September 26th 11 06:06 AM
Lampholders Frank Erskine UK diy 2 August 4th 11 01:04 AM
Halogen Lampholders - any lighting experts on here ? ARWadsworth UK diy 5 July 4th 10 01:17 AM