Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best kind of paint for plywood that will be walked on

Evening all,

I've repaired the top of a step inside my house with a section of plywood. The step is the threshold from what used to be the garage into the hallway. It is wooden and got so tatty that I just covered it with a new piece of plywood which I primed 3 times and am now ready to paint.

For a piece of wood which will get walked on, should I go satin wood or gloss? Ideally it needs to be wipe clean for ease of cleaning.

Or something else?

Thanks in advance.
Jon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/14 17:47, Jon Parker wrote:
Evening all,

I've repaired the top of a step inside my house with a section of plywood. The step is the threshold from what used to be the garage into the hallway. It is wooden and got so tatty that I just covered it with a new piece of plywood which I primed 3 times and am now ready to paint.

For a piece of wood which will get walked on, should I go satin wood or gloss? Ideally it needs to be wipe clean for ease of cleaning.

Or something else?

Thanks in advance.
Jon

IME 2 options:

Gloss paint, topped with Ronseal Hardglaze varnish. Very tough, but
needs a week to cure (IME).

The other option is floor paint - but buying in tiny quantities might be
tricky.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2014 18:32, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

I think I might tile it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, February 25, 2014 7:12:57 PM UTC, stuart noble wrote:
On 25/02/2014 18:32, Tim Watts wrote:
I think I might tile it.

Didn't even consider that. But too late now as the wood is down and glued/pinned into position.

Regards
Jon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, February 25, 2014 6:32:36 PM UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
Gloss paint, topped with Ronseal Hardglaze varnish. Very tough, but
needs a week to cure (IME).

The other option is floor paint - but buying in tiny quantities might be
tricky.

Thanks for that. Will probably go with the gloss and varnish option.

Regards
Jon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/14 20:11, Jon Parker wrote:
On Tuesday, February 25, 2014 6:32:36 PM UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
Gloss paint, topped with Ronseal Hardglaze varnish. Very tough, but
needs a week to cure (IME).

The other option is floor paint - but buying in tiny quantities might be
tricky.

Thanks for that. Will probably go with the gloss and varnish option.

In that case, make sure both parts are polyurethane as that is the combo
I know works (and probably why it took a week to cure because of the
extra thickness).

This was on floorboards with chairs (back in the day when carpets were
square and not fitted, this was around the edge).