Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How wrong can you be

Today was remount the caravan roof light which has been leaking
slightly for a couple of months. I removed the roof light(5 minutes) and
then spent 21/2 hours removing the silicone which was sealing it in
position. The silicone did not want to come off even with remover.
Before remounting the rooflight, I decided that a thorough clean was
required. That's when I found out that the leak was not in the silicone
mounting seal, but in the cracked rooflight cover mounting area. The bit
that moves up and down. So, a repair was called for and the crap
collection was raided for some spare pvc sheeting which was then pvc
glued into position to seal and reinforce the mounting area. OK, all was
well, I resealed the vent back in position, using acrylic this time as
all my silicone filler had hardened in the tubes( threw away 6 unopened
tubes of solid silicone, as I originally bought 30 for a job some years
back, not a great loss) and acrylic's a lot easier to work with in
cleanup terms.

That's when I idly looked at the rear roof vent cover out of interest
and found it wasn't there! Interestingly enough, the floor inside the
caravan was not significantly damp. Must have happened when we had all
the gales. A duck tape and polythene job was then the order of the day.
So, tomorrow it's off to see how much I get ripped off for a large piece
of very thin vacuumed formed plastic or do I build myself a new robust
vent cover which won't fall off in the gales?

HELP! what's going wrong here? Robert Macy[_2_] Home Repair 40 November 5th 12 03:20 PM
Wrong one, b....r TheOldFellow UK diy 11 January 16th 10 12:48 PM
I think Bush was wrong and Obama is three times as wrong as Bush was. Ed Huntress Metalworking 4 September 10th 09 04:00 AM
What is wrong here ? Phil Allison Electronic Schematics 164 July 14th 08 07:55 PM
Hey, what can go wrong? Sharon Home Ownership 1 September 14th 05 08:51 PM