Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What are metal sheds like?

My summer project is to build a new shed/workshop at the bottom of my garden. I was planning on a normal wooden shed. However, there was a burglary in our road on Saturday night so its made me think a bit more about security and may be a metal shed.

Has anyone experience of erecting and using a metal shed? It'll be used for a mixture of storage and playing with woodworking tools.

The shed will be built at the top of an old railway embankment so the first problem is the base. There is no chance of me laying a concrete base as there is an oak tree up there as well so I can't dig much of the soil away. I planned to raise the wooden shed slightly above the rooty uneven group using Swift Plinths (http://www.swiftfoundations.co.uk/swift_plinth.php) or something similar but I'm not sure what I could do with a metal shed.

Secondly how do you mount power sockets and switches and run cabling for the power?

Finally does anyone know if they are particularly difficult to insulate? I was thinking of putting two or three inches of foam board insulation to make it a bit more comfortable inside.

Any experience or thoughts are welcome.

Thanks

Matt
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/02/2014 10:04, matthelliwell wrote:
[...]

Burglars always go for the weakest link, and that would be the door
hinges or lock.
One of my neighbours has a metal shed and last summer it got broken
into. The scumbags just hacked the lock off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 17 February 2014 10:06:13 UTC, Huge wrote:

If you're talking about one of those prefabricated ones from a DIY shed, I'd
forget it. They're made out of the foil from cigarette packets ..

I'm not sure yet. I saw this one http://www.leisurebuildings.com/acat...workshops.html but haven't done much searching for a supplier yet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

matthelliwell wrote:
[...]

In a moment of utter folly, I bought the Screwfix one for her garden
tools. As Hugh has said, they are made of tinfoil. The assembly screws
pulled straight through the panels and I had to buy new spire clips from
CPC to prevent this. There is no floor, so I had to make this. The shed
is not waterproof and I used about 20 tubes of acrylic filler, filling
all the holes and sealing panel joints. It took me about 4 weeks full
time, to put together to my satisfaction and uses 50K screws ( well it
seemed like it). These units are very light, so it is necessary to bolt
them down extremely well. Fixing battens to the walls for power points
is feasible, but I wouldn't recommend it. Insulation IMO would be a
nightmare. Personally I'd build a brick workshop, costs a bit more, but
easy to line out and adds considerable value to the property. Always
build it bigger than you think you need, size is not that expensive,
it's finishing which costs money and this can be done gradually.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

[...]

It's the old story of why have a building specifically to protect
something if that is exactly what it looks like its doing? Just makes it
a more attractive target, maybe not for the casuals so much, but their
mates...

Having worked in some modern buildings that haven't been much better
than a glorified steel box, I'm not sure sure I'd want a metal shed as a
workshop - very well insulated or not

We have a metal shed bolted to a base made up of 'council' paving slabs.
Does the job of a storage shed well enough I guess and after 11 years
still looks ok - but if I were to replace it with something I wanted to
spend more than a few minutes in, it would be with a wooden or
brick/block structure...

Lee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, February 17, 2014 11:01:57 AM UTC, Lee wrote:
[...]

I made up 300mm x 300mm x 300mm open ended chipbard boxes and used them as formers for concrete pads.

Floor joists on top of these topped of with exterior grade plywood.

Ready assembled stud frame fixed to this. Roof trusses made up to suit. Whole lot clad in corrugated iron. Clear roof lights inserted eliminating the need for windows (Handy but also means lowlife can't peak in to view the contents and leaves all wall space available for storage.)

Wooden doors inset into frame so they couldn't be lifted off the pintle hinges.

Good Abus padlock.

If you're handy with wood this is all fairly easy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 17 February 2014 10:42:11 UTC, Capitol wrote:
In a moment of utter folly, I bought the Screwfix one for her garden
tools. As Hugh has said, they are made of tinfoil.

Well if nothing else that's one shed off the list!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"matthelliwell" wrote in message
My summer project is to build a new shed/workshop at the bottom of my
garden. I was planning on a normal wooden shed. However, there was a
burglary in our road on Saturday night so its made me think a bit
more about security and may be a metal shed.

Has anyone experience of erecting and using a metal shed? It'll be
used for a mixture of storage and playing with woodworking tools.

Thanks

Matt

You don't say what you'll be storing. But if it's large items that
only get occasional use such as lawnmowers or even larger power tools
then regardless of other factors a good measure of security can be
obtained simply by chaining by them all together. Usually threading
the chain through the handles. In addition, if a ladder is available
then even the better.
While even hardened steel chain won't resist a half hour's close
aquaintainship with an angle grinder this usually makes a racket
and for this to be possible at all its necessary to secure or clamp
the chain in some way in order to gain a purchase. So its advisable
not to leave any G clamps lying around.
For smaller stuff you'd probably be just as well off with a lockable
cupboard, a small metal S/H stationary cupboard or similar might fit
the bill maybe plastered outside with hazard labels and generously
kitted out inside with silica gel. Again not totally impregnable
but likely to deter most ill equipped opportunists.

Casting foundation pads in situ as suggested by fred

"fred" wrote in message

I made up 300mm x 300mm x 300mm open ended chipbard boxes and used
them as formers for concrete pads.

Floor joists on top of these topped of with exterior grade plywood.

seems preferable to using bought-in plinths which would still
need to be levelled off in some way.

michael adams

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 10:42:11 +0000, Capitol wrote:

Personally I'd build a brick workshop, costs a bit more, but
easy to line out and adds considerable value to the property.

I'd go with a wooden one as an interim step - they start cheaply, flat-
pack, with floor etc.

Always build it bigger than you think you need, size is not that
expensive, it's finishing which costs money and this can be done
gradually.

Agreed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 17 February 2014 12:56:15 UTC, michael adams wrote:
You don't say what you'll be storing.

Planer/thicknesser, radial arm saw, table saw, routers and the such like.

[...]

That's an interesting idea, I hadn't thought of a less secure shed and more secure chains and cupboards. I'll have to think about that a bit more.

Matt

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

If you have the space, look for a second hand half (i.e 20ft) container.
They are built to resist thieves from around the world.

My most secure shed is built of blockwork, with a very solid flat roof,
no windows and a Jeld-Wen steel security door. That was built to meet
the requirements of my business insurers, as it is where I store my
stock, not that any of it would be of much value to a tea leaf.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-02-17, matthelliwell wrote:
My summer project is to build a new shed/workshop at the bottom of my garden. I was planning on a normal wooden shed. However, there was a burglary in our road on Saturday night so its made me think a bit more about security and may be a metal shed.

Has anyone experience of erecting and using a metal shed?

If you're talking about one of those prefabricated ones from a DIY shed, I'd
forget it. They're made out of the foil from cigarette packets ..

I think you are being generous.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

The ones you buy are ****.

You can make a good metal shed using box profile on a timber frame.
If you go down to the box profile place/roofer they often have loads of
offcuts.
You need to know whatsizes you want, thestuff is a pain to cut, they can do
it easy.

Main problem is condensation. Needs good ventilation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/02/2014 11:01, Lee wrote:
[...]

We had a lot of furniture, ornaments, a good quality three piece leather
suite and other items to store after my mother-in-law died. Short term
we stuck it in storage, but that was expensive, so we put up a wooden
shed, lined with polystyrene slabs and covered with hardboard (the floor
with chipboard). Everything survived in there without any problems - the
suite was in there for 6 years, until the kids were old enough not to
wreck it. My stereo was also in there. No damp problems, no mice, nothing.

I fitted an alarm, so at least attention would be drawn if someone broke
in - even the door opening beep mode brought my neighbour out when I was
getting something in the early hours of the morning.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

During the wind recently, a friend said he was overtaken by one of those on
the M25.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Posted to uk.d-i-y

matthelliwell wrote:
My summer project is to build a new shed/workshop at the bottom of my garden. I was planning on a normal wooden shed. However,

there was a burglary in our road on Saturday night so its made me think
a bit more about security and may be a metal shed.

Has anyone experience of erecting and using a metal shed?

Small shipping container.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
Clear roof lights

With bars.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

matthelliwell wrote:

That's an interesting idea, I hadn't thought of a less secure shed and more secure chains and cupboards. I'll have to think about that a bit more.

Matt

My young friend had two bicycles worth about £1,000 each but the shed at
his dad's was not very good. I set a block of concrete (with a lot of
'plums' in it) 500 x 400 x 400 into the floor. I got my mate to make two
hoops, like upside down 'U's with huge serifs to lock into the concrete.
We bought a good length of high tensile chain and a couple of vast
padlocks. The chain went through all four wheels and both frames. All
the sheds in the street got blagged one night, but the bikes remained.
The shed door was off its hinges but still padlocked!

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Bill Wright
writes
matthelliwell wrote:

That's an interesting idea, I hadn't thought of a less secure shed and more

secure chains and cupboards. I'll have to think about that a bit more.

Matt

My young friend had two bicycles worth about £1,000 each but the shed at
his dad's was not very good. I set a block of concrete (with a lot of
'plums' in it) 500 x 400 x 400 into the floor. I got my mate to make two
hoops, like upside down 'U's with huge serifs to lock into the concrete.
We bought a good length of high tensile chain and a couple of vast
padlocks. The chain went through all four wheels and both frames. All
the sheds in the street got blagged one night, but the bikes remained.
The shed door was off its hinges but still padlocked!

Yep, done that twice, once in a shed, once in the dining room of a
rented house :-).

No matter how tired, I always lock the gear up before crashing.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/02/2014 10:42, Capitol wrote:
matthelliwell wrote:
[...]

That's similar to my experience.

Customer bought a metal shed, now referred to as "The Shed from Hell".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 20:21:07 +0000
Bill Wright wrote:
matthelliwell wrote:
My summer project is to build a new shed/workshop at the bottom of
my garden. I was planning on a normal wooden shed.

Small shipping container.

I pondered that but access problems (mainly consisting of two big
oak trees) would mean that I couldn't get one craned in.

Matt

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/02/2014 20:19, Brian Gaff wrote:
During the wind recently, a friend said he was overtaken by one of those on
the M25.
Brian

I'm surprised it was sufficiently intact to be recognisable.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:
matthelliwell wrote:
My summer project is to build a new shed/workshop at the bottom of
my garden. I was planning on a normal wooden shed.

Small shipping container.

I pondered that but access problems (mainly consisting of two big
oak trees) would mean that I couldn't get one craned in.

Matt

You can dismantle them. It isn't hard to do.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:

Small shipping container.

I pondered that but access problems (mainly consisting of two big
oak trees) would mean that I couldn't get one craned in.

You can dismantle them. It isn't hard to do.

http://www.containerteam.co.uk/blog/...ing-container/
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/g...ping-container

From memory, the reassembly was a little harder than expected, as
the corrugations released somewhat, and took some persuading back
into place.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"fred" wrote in message news
In article , Bill Wright
writes
matthelliwell wrote:

That's an interesting idea, I hadn't thought of a less secure shed and
more

secure chains and cupboards. I'll have to think about that a bit more.

Have you got a septic tank on the property?

if so, build the shed over it so the hole into it is just inside the door,
then place a rug or carpet over the hole, when you go in the shed remember
to step sideways around it

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/02/2014 10:04, matthelliwell wrote:
My summer project is to build a new shed/workshop at the bottom of my garden. I was planning on a normal wooden shed. However, there was a burglary in our road on Saturday night so its made me think a bit more about security and may be a metal shed.

Has anyone experience of erecting and using a metal shed? It'll be used for a mixture of storage and playing with woodworking tools.

condensation would be main concern I think

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 10:20:15 +0000
Chris J Dixon wrote:

Bill Wright wrote:

Small shipping container.

I pondered that but access problems (mainly consisting of two big
oak trees) would mean that I couldn't get one craned in.

You can dismantle them. It isn't hard to do.

http://www.containerteam.co.uk/blog/...ing-container/
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/g...ping-container

From memory, the reassembly was a little harder than expected, as
the corrugations released somewhat, and took some persuading back
into place.

Well I've done a bit more digging around. I got an estimate for an
insulated portal frame steel workshop from some very nice people at
http://www.leisurebuildings.com/acat...buildings.html.

Including delivery it came out to £4800 for a insulated building about
2.5mx5.5m with a personal door.

I also had a look at man portable flat pack offices (eg
http://www.shippingcontainersuk.com/...ck_office.php). They
came out at about the same price.

I think I've come to the conclusion that the extra cost over a wooden
shed is more than the value of the stuff that'll be in it. So its back
to building a wooden one myself.

Matt

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2014 19:30, matt wrote:
Well I've done a bit more digging around. I got an estimate for an
insulated portal frame steel workshop from some very nice people at
http://www.leisurebuildings.com/acat...buildings.html.

Including delivery it came out to £4800 for a insulated building about
2.5mx5.5m with a personal door....

Not much different from the price the builder charged for my block work
built shed, which was about the same size.

Colin Bignell

Metal Pent Sheds Camdor UK diy 10 August 6th 10 06:52 PM
Replacement parts for metal sheds? aemeijers Home Repair 3 February 16th 09 09:12 AM
Metal Sheds noname[_3_] UK diy 12 March 31st 08 03:12 PM
metal garden sheds and laying concrete JWBH Home Repair 8 December 14th 06 07:47 PM
Metal sheds Staffbull UK diy 2 November 26th 06 07:26 PM