Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Metal Pent Sheds

I am looking for a smallish pent shed to store a couple of bikes and a
lawnmower, so that I can get my main shed back for its main use of
storing unrequired power tools that I can't stop buying...

It will be attached to a small area of Decking I have at the bottom of
the garden, so I will not be building a concrete base.

The metal ones seem very cheap and am considering either of these

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/66135/Outdoor-Buildings/Metal-Sheds-Storage/Pent-Roof-Metal-Shed

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7054918/Trail/searchtext%3ESHED.htm

I have heard of problems with metal sheds holding condensation, so am a
bit worried as bikes will be kept in here throughout the winter.

I have seen so PVC ones, but they are a bit dearer ( this is a B&Q link,
don't know if it will work, its a 7"x4" PVC pent shed for £225)

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9371802&fh_refth eme=promo_159792088%2cseeall%2c%2f%2fcatalog01%2fe n_GB%2fcategories%3C{9372012}%2fcategories%3C{9372 017}%2fcategories%3C{9372061}&fh_view_size=10&fh_l ocation=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3C{93 72012}%2fcategories%3C{9372017}%2fcategories%3C{93 72061}%2fspecificationsProductType%3dplastic_sheds &fh_eds=%C3%9F&fh_refview=lister&ts=1280945614940& isSearch=false

Has anyone got any advice.

p.s. I would normally build it myself from timber, but am too busy at
the moment and the price of timber seems quite excessive at the moment.
--
Regards
Camdor.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Camdor wrote:
I am looking for a smallish pent shed to store a couple of bikes and a
lawnmower, so that I can get my main shed back for its main use of
storing unrequired power tools that I can't stop buying...

It will be attached to a small area of Decking I have at the bottom of
the garden, so I will not be building a concrete base.

The metal ones seem very cheap and am considering either of these

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/66135/Outdoor-Buildings/Metal-Sheds-Storage/Pent-Roof-Metal-Shed

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7054918/Trail/searchtext%3ESHED.htm

I assembled a larger version of that a while ago. The last time I came
across metal that thin, it had a portion of chow mein inside.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Camdor wrote:
I am looking for a smallish pent shed to store a couple of bikes and
a lawnmower, so that I can get my main shed back for its main use of
storing unrequired power tools that I can't stop buying...

It will be attached to a small area of Decking I have at the bottom
of the garden, so I will not be building a concrete base.

The metal ones seem very cheap and am considering either of these

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/66135/Outdoor-Buildings/Metal-Sheds-Storage/Pent-Roof-Metal-Shed

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7054918/Trail/searchtext%3ESHED.htm

I assembled a larger version of that a while ago. The last time I
came across metal that thin, it had a portion of chow mein inside.

You forgot to mention that the holes for the bolts did not line up or were
not pre-drilled on the one you assembled. Just like the one is assembled.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Camdor wrote:
I am looking for a smallish pent shed to store a couple of bikes and a
lawnmower, so that I can get my main shed back for its main use of
storing unrequired power tools that I can't stop buying...

It will be attached to a small area of Decking I have at the bottom of
the garden, so I will not be building a concrete base.

The metal ones seem very cheap and am considering either of these

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/66135/Outdoor-Buildings/Metal-Sheds-Storage/Pent-Roof-Metal-Shed

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7054918/Trail/searchtext%3ESHED.htm

I assembled a larger version of that a while ago. The last time I came
across metal that thin, it had a portion of chow mein inside.

Yep, I am a little worried about the gauge of the metal, not having seen
one in the flesh as it were.

--
Regards
Camdor.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message R9i6o.39$cB4.23@hurricane, Camdor
writes

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.js...talog01%2fe n
_GB%2fcategories%3C{9372012}%2fcategories%3C{9372 017}%2fcategories%3C{9372061}&fh_view_size=10&fh_l ocation=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_
GB%2fcategories%3C{9372012}%2fcategories%3C{93720 17}%2fcategories%3C{9372061}%2fspecificationsProdu ctType%3dplastic_sheds&fh_eds=
%C3%9F&fh_refview=lister&ts=1280945614940&isSearc h=false

Has anyone got any advice.

All I can say is that I've been very happy with the slightly larger than
that similar one that I got from B&Q for less money than that. Can't
remember how much, but it was on offer and I got it on my pensioner's
B&Q Wednesday pass.
"They" carried it out to the car, we split the packaging up so that it
would fit (NB no longer have the big Omega), and I pushed a bit of soil
around and put it up on my own in an afternoon. It all fitted, the floor
bends a bit when I walk on it, but it has held together. It's well
ventilated, light inside and I've had no trouble with condensation.
--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 21:29:44 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Camdor wrote:
I am looking for a smallish pent shed to store a couple of bikes and a
lawnmower, so that I can get my main shed back for its main use of
storing unrequired power tools that I can't stop buying...

It will be attached to a small area of Decking I have at the bottom of
the garden, so I will not be building a concrete base.

The metal ones seem very cheap and am considering either of these

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/66135/Outdoor-Buildings/Metal-Sheds-Storage/Pent-Roof-Metal-Shed

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7054918/Trail/searchtext%3ESHED.htm

I assembled a larger version of that a while ago. The last time I came
across metal that thin, it had a portion of chow mein inside.

Don't know how the prices compare, but Screwfix has offers on branded metal
sheds:
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do?fh...metal&ts=92362
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Camdor wrote:
[...]

Having looked at a lot of sheds, I concluded that the one sold by B&Q
and other retailers were poor value for money - cheap but shoddy. I
bought from these people instead:

http://www.leisurebuildings.com/

The Humber Supreme storage shed I bought is probably a bit overkill for
most people, although very well made and, with a few modifications to
the door fittings, comparatively secure. I also bought a Diamond
Classic, which is a servicable general purpose shed, although not as
cheap as a flimsy one from B&Q.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 23:41:52 +0100, Bill wrote:

All I can say is that I've been very happy with the slightly larger than
that similar one that I got from B&Q for less money than that. Can't
remember how much, but it was on offer and I got it on my pensioner's
B&Q Wednesday pass.

I have one that I got from the B&Q website over a year ago. The only
problem I had with condensation was after I left it overnight with the
doors open when I erected it. Since then no problems with the garden
tools, lawn mower that I keep in it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 19:18:21 +0100, Camdor wrote:

I am looking for a smallish pent shed to store a couple of bikes and a
lawnmower, so that I can get my main shed back for its main use of
storing unrequired power tools that I can't stop buying...

It will be attached to a small area of Decking I have at the bottom of
the garden, so I will not be building a concrete base.

The metal ones seem very cheap and am considering either of these

We put up one like (near as I can tell from the photo) the Argos one at
my sister-in-law's place a few years ago, onto a homebrew base made from
ply and treated 2x4s.

The metal they use is crap (and extremely sharp at the edges - you have
been warned).

The plastic-fantastic door-runner parts broke within a year.

Nothing really lines up properly - expect some creative drilling and
trimming on-site.

You're right about condensation - not good for paper, fabrics etc.,
although you could possibly get away with mowers and bikes. Adding a roof
vent might help a lot (our local building recyclers sells those spinning
ones for a couple of quid).

p.s. I would normally build it myself from timber, but am too busy at
the moment and the price of timber seems quite excessive at the moment.

TBH, cost issues aside, you may as well do a timber one, given the time
it takes to put one of these things together and correct the defects. It
took three of us around four hours to put the metal one up (not including
building the base), and two of us a similar amount of time to build a
6'x8' timber shed from scratch (which included installing a door and
window).

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y
D55 D55 is offline

"Camdor" wrote in message
[...]

..

I bought a metal pent shed from shedstore recently.
You should bear in mind that the measurements they display apply to
its extremities, eg roof edges so the internal space can be
3 - 5" less than the given specs. Assembling wasn't too difficult
as 99% of screws were self tappers. I was lucky in that about 90%
of the holes aligned fairly well. The door will provide only a
moderate challenge to a 10 year old equiped with a lolly stick so you should
fix a some timbers or ply to the inner surface to stiffen it.
I stood mine on treated timbers to give more internal height. Also had to
splash rubberised paint around base to make it rainproof.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Camdor wrote:

Has anyone got any advice.

My workshop is a 10x13 metal Yardmaster shed. I'm happy with it. I did
insulate it with polystyrene and spandy-foam to prevent any
condensation, but I wouldn't bother if I was just keeping bikes and
mowers in it.

I'd agree with Arthur about security of the doors, and have reinforced
mine with timber inside.

Pete

Replacement parts for metal sheds? aemeijers Home Repair 3 February 16th 09 09:12 AM
Metal Sheds noname[_3_] UK diy 12 March 31st 08 03:12 PM
Garden sheds: wood vs metal vs plastic Frazer Jolly Goodfellow UK diy 11 August 7th 07 10:47 AM
metal garden sheds and laying concrete JWBH Home Repair 8 December 14th 06 07:47 PM
Metal sheds Staffbull UK diy 2 November 26th 06 07:26 PM