Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Metal Sheds

Hi
On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 11:45:36 +0100, noname
wrote:

I'm thinking about buying a metal shed,
what are people views, I have heard that there damp, with condensation
running down the sides ?? is this true

Yes - this can be a problem - expanded polystyrene insulation
gripfixed to the inside surface can fix this.

If it's one of the 'packs flat into a succession of boxes' ones that
you're thinking of - my advice would be 'don't'. We bought one a
couple of years ago and it was a complete pain to assemble, and I'll
be taking it down next year to replace it with a timber shed..

HTH
Adrian

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

noname wrote:
I'm thinking about buying a metal shed,
what are people views, I have heard that there damp, with condensation
running down the sides ?? is this true

We have a small one, maybe 6 x 4 which is used for the mower, garden tools,
chairs etc. Nobody spends any time inside, but I've never noticed any
condensation & garden tols don't seem to rust.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I'm thinking about buying a metal shed,
what are people views, I have heard that there damp, with condensation
running down the sides ?? is this true

Yes - this can be a problem - expanded polystyrene insulation
gripfixed to the inside surface can fix this.

If it's one of the 'packs flat into a succession of boxes' ones that
you're thinking of - my advice would be 'don't'. We bought one a
couple of years ago and it was a complete pain to assemble, and I'll
be taking it down next year to replace it with a timber shed..

HTH
Adrian

Thanks

I can understand it would be a pain to assemble, but why you taking it
down ??? Is it no good ????

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Noname

wrote:

I'm thinking about buying a metal shed,
what are people views, I have heard that there damp, with condensation
running down the sides ?? is this true

Yes - this can be a problem - expanded polystyrene insulation
gripfixed to the inside surface can fix this.

If it's one of the 'packs flat into a succession of boxes' ones that
you're thinking of - my advice would be 'don't'. We bought one a
couple of years ago and it was a complete pain to assemble, and I'll
be taking it down next year to replace it with a timber shed..

HTH
Adrian

Thanks

I can understand it would be a pain to assemble, but why you taking it
down ??? Is it no good ????

It's a long story.......

The item is question is a Yardmaster 17' x 10ft metal shed...
Came packed in three 6ft long boxes. Because of this, there were a
multitude of bits of bent metal that had to be joined together with
self-tapping screws. Diabolical instructions, illegible paper labels
identifying the parts, half the screws were missing (found this out
while fitting the roof - had to go shopping for new screws while it
peed with rain !).

Once it's all together, it's not very strong, and the roof leaked at
every self-tapping screw - needed mastic gooped on top of each screw.

Outside cladding seems to be made from recycled beer cans - not very
strong - very easily dented.

Taking it down because it's too flimsy, looks awful, still leaks (even
after the masticing) and I can build a better one myself out of
old-fashioned treewood with a torch-on felt roof. At the time - we'd
just moved house to a new place with no outbuildings - so we were
desperate for storage space. Would have been better to take a little
longer and custom-build a timber shed..... you live & learn !

In short - don;t go there !g
Adrian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
noname wrote:
I'm thinking about buying a metal shed,
what are people views, I have heard that there damp, with condensation
running down the sides ?? is this true

We have a small one, maybe 6 x 4 which is used for the mower, garden tools,
chairs etc. Nobody spends any time inside, but I've never noticed any
condensation & garden tols don't seem to rust.

Reckon on half a day to assemble, needs careful reading of the
instructions and pictures and difficult by oneself !

Good value tho' and useful for storage of garden tools etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

noname wrote:
I'm thinking about buying a metal shed,
what are people views, I have heard that there damp, with condensation
running down the sides ?? is this true

My "workshop" is a 10'x15' Yardmaster and I'm happy with it - but only
after significant modification. The condensation issue is very real -
when I first put it up it used to drip with damp (though the fact that
it started raining before the roof was finished meant that it had a fair
bit of moisture inside to start with). That's totally sorted now since I
clad the roof with 1" polystyrene and boarded the floor and the first 4
feet of the walls with OSB - feels really dry in there. This wasn't
cheap, and if I'd originally factored it in I might have gone for a
wooden shed in the first place.

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message
The item is question is a Yardmaster 17' x 10ft metal shed...

Oh. I've got a smaller Yardmaster model and have had no trouble. Did you get
the pack of plastic washers which are supposed to go on each self-tap? These
have kept the water out for me.

As with all flat packs you need to read and appreciate the instructions
first.
Had to co-opt the wife when it came to lifting the roof on.
Might be an idea to seal the base frame onto the concrete/flag base with
mastic before screwing down to prevent water seepage.
Definitely fit gutters to avoid any chance of the above.

Apart from these wrinkles I have no reason not to buy one again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Roger

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 16:36:05 +0100, "Roger Cain"
wrote:

"Adrian" wrote in message
.. .
The item is question is a Yardmaster 17' x 10ft metal shed...

Oh. I've got a smaller Yardmaster model and have had no trouble. Did you get
the pack of plastic washers which are supposed to go on each self-tap? These
have kept the water out for me.

Yes - got _lots_ of them g - it was just the self-tappers they
forgot to include !
The washers didn't seem to be all that a good a solution - large
plastic washer, larger oval hole in the metal sheet and a panhead
selftapper.... not really wonderful engineering (IMHO)

Didn't help that about 20% of the holes that should have been punched
through the longitudinal rails and the roof panels had only been mildy
threatened, rather than being punched through g

As with all flat packs you need to read and appreciate the instructions
first.

Did that - read them - didn't appreciate them all that much g

Had to co-opt the wife when it came to lifting the roof on.

The two of us worked on it together...
....didn't seem fair to have all the fun myself g

Might be an idea to seal the base frame onto the concrete/flag base with
mastic before screwing down to prevent water seepage.

I sat mine on a timber base, and fitted a skirt of dpm under the
bottom edge of the side panels to deflect that water away. That bit
worked g

Definitely fit gutters to avoid any chance of the above.

Apart from these wrinkles I have no reason not to buy one again.

I did get the feeling that the smaller sheds _might_ work better -
just this larger unit involved too many 'bits' and is altogether too
flimsy. The doors are very floppy, and not helped by the fact that
the hinges seemd to be just mild steel - so they've rusted badly....

I usppose it was 'only' 1000 euro (about 800 quid) - but I'm sure
I could have built in timber for the same price - and ended up with a
better result....

....we'll see next year !

Anybody want a 2nd-hand tin shed ? g

Adrian
West Cork, Ireland
Posted to uk.d-i-y

noname pretended :
I'm thinking about buying a metal shed,
what are people views, I have heard that there damp, with condensation
running down the sides ?? is this true

Yes, very much so.

Made very much worse if they are not installed on a solid and water
proof base, or you put wet things into them.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:
On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 16:36:05 +0100, "Roger Cain" wrote:
"Adrian" wrote

The item is question is a Yardmaster 17' x 10ft metal shed...

Oh. I've got a smaller Yardmaster model and have had no trouble.

13'x10' in my case.

Did you get the pack of plastic washers which are supposed to go on
each self-tap? These have kept the water out for me.

The washers didn't seem to be all that a good a solution - large
plastic washer, larger oval hole in the metal sheet and a panhead
selftapper.... not really wonderful engineering (IMHO)

Mine mostly worked OK. I have had one leak in the roof which used to
only occur in very bad weather, but now seems to have stopped (perhaps a
lucky bird-turd over the screw head? :-) )

Didn't help that about 20% of the holes that should have been punched
through the longitudinal rails and the roof panels had only been
mildy threatened, rather than being punched through g

I had a few of those, but with only mild persuasion the screws will go
through un-punched metal as well as punched, so it wasn't a big problem.

As with all flat packs you need to read and appreciate the
instructions first.

Did that - read them - didn't appreciate them all that much g

I agree they're a little daunting at first glance, but followed
carefully I found them entirely accurate and didn't have any major problems.

Had to co-opt the wife when it came to lifting the roof on.

The two of us worked on it together... ...didn't seem fair to have
all the fun myself g

I had two mates with me, one an able assistant and one whose sole job
was to fit hundreds of plastic washers onto hundreds of screws :-). If
he hadn't been there, and if it were an option they offered, I'd have
gladly paid £20 for Yardmaster to do that bit for me.

Might be an idea to seal the base frame onto the concrete/flag base
with mastic before screwing down to prevent water seepage.

I sat mine on a timber base, and fitted a skirt of dpm under the
bottom edge of the side panels to deflect that water away. That bit
worked g

I tried to seal the frame to the base with spandy-foam. It helped, but
wasn't entirely successful. I've since laid DPM on the floor inside,
with a four-inch skirt up the walls, and put down OSB on top. Feels very
dry in there now, though not being able to screw anything to the floor
has been a bit limiting in fitting benches etc.

Apart from these wrinkles I have no reason not to buy one again.

I did get the feeling that the smaller sheds _might_ work better -
just this larger unit involved too many 'bits' and is altogether too
flimsy.

Mine's not that much smaller than yours, and as a structure it doesn't
seem flimsy to me. Individual parts sometimes seem a bit thin, but put
together they support each other and it feels solid enough. Of course,
I've since boarded the inside (to prevent me accidentally denting it by
throwing stuff around) but it wasn't bad before.

The doors are very floppy, and not helped by the fact that
the hinges seemd to be just mild steel - so they've rusted badly....

This seems different. Mine has sliding doors rather than hinged. There I
have had to make improvements - the doors were sturdy enough against
wind and weather, but not against human attack. The original steel is
now more like a thin cladding over a substantial wooden structure. Of
course you could still open up the walls with a tin-opener, but it's
only intended to resist casual kicking at the doors rather than a
well-thought-out attack.

I usppose it was 'only' 1000 euro (about 800 quid) - but I'm sure I
could have built in timber for the same price - and ended up with a
better result....

Mine was (IIRC) about £350 for the basic structure. It was a replacement
for a couple of badly-rotted wooden sheds, so having something that's
impervious to that was a big selling point - and I wasn't aware of the
potential downsides at the time.

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
noname pretended :
I'm thinking about buying a metal shed,
what are people views, I have heard that there damp, with condensation
running down the sides ?? is this true

Yes, very much so.

Made very much worse if they are not installed on a solid and water
proof base, or you put wet things into them.

I am happy with mine. The only most difficult part was assembling the
roof, then getting it on top of the walls. I mounted mine on a concrete
base and put sealant on the inside between the concrete and the bottom
of the walls before fixing the sliding doors. As I assembled it I
thought it rather frail, especially the doors, but once fully assembled
it was fine. No rain or snow getting in, as regards condensation non yet
but it is admittedly early days.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 30, 11:45*am, noname wrote:
I'm thinking about buying a metal shed,
what are people views, I have heard that there damp, with condensation
running down the sides ?? is this true

Thanks

Ensure you put a proper concrete base in with a damp proof membrane.
Also a little ventilation at the top to keep air flow.
With that I haven't had any problems.

Garden sheds: wood vs metal vs plastic Frazer Jolly Goodfellow UK diy 11 August 7th 07 10:47 AM
metal garden sheds and laying concrete JWBH Home Repair 8 December 14th 06 07:47 PM
Metal sheds Staffbull UK diy 2 November 26th 06 07:26 PM
One in the eye for the sheds Steve Firth UK diy 0 May 2nd 06 12:36 AM
Sheds? Badger UK diy 12 January 5th 05 04:11 PM