Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

Default Virgin SuperHub2 and DMZ setting

I now have my Virgin SuperHub2 set to accept incoming calls to a DMZ (RPi
running a VPN server).

I used 'shields up' to check what the ports were doing.

Now without DMZ turned on everything is stealthed.

With DMZ turned on Port 22 (ssh) and Post 1723 (pptpd for VPN) are both
opened automatically.

The rest go to 'closed' instead of 'stealthed'.

The opening of the two ports seems reasonable for an instant DMZ, but I am
puzzled why the other ports now show as 'closed'.
AFAIK a 'closed' port will show up on a port scan by 'bad people' whereas
a 'stealthed' one will not.

OTOH is I have 22 and 1723 open the router must be standing out like a
sore thumb anyway.

So does the team think that this strategy is O.K. or should I be looking
at a more robust implementation of a DMZ?

Cheers

Dave R

Virgin media The Medway Handyman UK diy 14 September 11th 12 09:28 PM
OT - Virgin Cable David WE Roberts[_4_] UK diy 10 December 11th 11 09:30 PM
Mixing different setting times of setting type joint compound blueman Home Repair 4 November 16th 11 04:34 AM
virgin telephones Dave UK diy 25 August 13th 10 12:38 AM
Update from mobile phone virgin on Virgin Mobile Mike Mitchell UK diy 37 April 3rd 04 04:13 PM