Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Proposal to rename the group...

uk.politics.all.bbc.and.eu.and.renewable.energys.f ault
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2014 13:33, Adrian wrote:
uk.politics.all.bbc.and.eu.and.renewable.energys.f ault

Perhaps we should crosspost DIY issues to uk.politics etc?

Its a simple matter to ignore threads in Thunderbird. What news program
do you use?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 13:37:06 +0000, Fredxxx wrote:

uk.politics.all.bbc.and.eu.and.renewable.energys.f ault

Perhaps we should crosspost DIY issues to uk.politics etc?

Perhaps.

Its a simple matter to ignore threads in Thunderbird.

Why on earth would I want to use a mail client for usenet? But, no matter
the client, if I wanted to ignore the threads, I'd ignore them...

What news program do you use?

Pan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2014 13:49, Adrian wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 13:37:06 +0000, Fredxxx wrote:

uk.politics.all.bbc.and.eu.and.renewable.energys.f ault

Perhaps we should crosspost DIY issues to uk.politics etc?

Perhaps.

Its a simple matter to ignore threads in Thunderbird.

Why on earth would I want to use a mail client for usenet?

You wouldn't... however since its a mail AND usenet client it would not
pose a problem in this case.

But, no matter
the client, if I wanted to ignore the threads, I'd ignore them...

So you seem to be saying that you would rather read them and then
complain about the content? ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 14:01:12 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

But, no matter the client, if I wanted to ignore the threads, I'd
ignore them...

So you seem to be saying that you would rather read them and then
complain about the content? ;-)

Comment upon, rather than complain about.

TBH, it's quite refreshing that there's still one usenet group alive.
Even if the title does bear the scantest relation to the contents at
times.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2014 14:35, Adrian wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 14:01:12 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

But, no matter the client, if I wanted to ignore the threads, I'd
ignore them...

So you seem to be saying that you would rather read them and then
complain about the content? ;-)

Comment upon, rather than complain about.

TBH, it's quite refreshing that there's still one usenet group alive.
Even if the title does bear the scantest relation to the contents at
times.

Well to be fair, there is still a reasonable amount of hard core DIY
going on as well - perhaps not quite as much as in the past, but it
could be just we are getting old!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2014 14:35, Adrian wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 14:01:12 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

But, no matter the client, if I wanted to ignore the threads, I'd
ignore them...

So you seem to be saying that you would rather read them and then
complain about the content? ;-)

Comment upon, rather than complain about.

TBH, it's quite refreshing that there's still one usenet group alive.
Even if the title does bear the scantest relation to the contents at
times.

alt.usage english is a very well used newsgroup and surprisingly devoid
of trolls.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message
On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 14:01:12 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

But, no matter the client, if I wanted to ignore the threads, I'd
ignore them...

So you seem to be saying that you would rather read them and then
complain about the content? ;-)

Comment upon, rather than complain about.

TBH, it's quite refreshing that there's still one usenet group alive.
Even if the title does bear the scantest relation to the contents at
times.

I agree wholeheartedly.
As they used to say, 'What's in a name ?'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well as I've said before, nobody forces people to read threads or posts
from any individual do they? I think having viewed this group for some
years,t here is a long tradition of off topic messages but still as long as
the subject line is kep current to the actual subject, one can just read and
reply to thoseone wants to.
I do notlike crossposts to many groups, as not every group is so tolerant
as this one is, and I respect those who are not unlike spammers who just see
usenet as another resource to use.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Adrian" wrote in message
On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 13:37:06 +0000, Fredxxx wrote:

uk.politics.all.bbc.and.eu.and.renewable.energys.f ault

Perhaps we should crosspost DIY issues to uk.politics etc?

Perhaps.

Its a simple matter to ignore threads in Thunderbird.

Why on earth would I want to use a mail client for usenet? But, no matter
the client, if I wanted to ignore the threads, I'd ignore them...

What news program do you use?

Pan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 15:09:43 -0000, "Brian_Gaff"
wrote:

Well as I've said before, nobody forces people to read threads or posts
from any individual do they? I think having viewed this group for some
years,t here is a long tradition of off topic messages but still as long as
the subject line is kep current to the actual subject, one can just read and
reply to thoseone wants to.
I do notlike crossposts to many groups, as not every group is so tolerant
as this one is, and I respect those who are not unlike spammers who just see
usenet as another resource to use.

The problem as I see it is that while I killfile the likes of the
Wretched Very Far Right and Poisonous Łer some misguided individuals
respond to their unpleasant ramblings hence they appear without
warning unless the topic is obviously one of the clearly identifiable
way off topic rants.
--
rbel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Well as I've said before, nobody forces people to read threads or posts
from any individual do they? I think having viewed this group for some
years,t here is a long tradition of off topic messages but still as long as
the subject line is kep current to the actual subject, one can just read and
reply to thoseone wants to.
I do notlike crossposts to many groups, as not every group is so tolerant
as this one is, and I respect those who are not unlike spammers who just see
usenet as another resource to use.

The problem as I see it is that while I killfile the likes of the
Wretched Very Far Right and Poisonous Łer some misguided individuals
respond to their unpleasant ramblings hence they appear without
warning unless the topic is obviously one of the clearly identifiable
way off topic rants.

Kill subthread is your friend...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
uk.politics.all.bbc.and.eu.and.renewable.energys.f ault

Quite. He has already ruined other groups by his continual OT posts and
looks to want to do it here too.

I've no real objection to the odd OT post - but when they are frequent
and all on the same themes they become as bad as those from other paranoid
types like religious nutters.

--
*Why can't women put on mascara with their mouth closed?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday 28 January 2014 14:26 Dave Plowman (News) wrote in uk.d-i-y:

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
uk.politics.all.bbc.and.eu.and.renewable.energys.f ault

Quite. He has already ruined other groups by his continual OT posts
and looks to want to do it here too.

I've no real objection to the odd OT post - but when they are
frequent and all on the same themes they become as bad as those from
other paranoid types like religious nutters.

And has the cheek to take umbrage when he misunderstands a joke and
thinks it's an OT opinion... Assuming we are talking about the same
person...

http://www.sensorly.com/ Crowd mapping of 2G/3G/4G mobile signal
coverage

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
scribeth thus
In article ,
Adrian wrote:
uk.politics.all.bbc.and.eu.and.renewable.energys.f ault

Quite. He has already ruined other groups by his continual OT posts and
looks to want to do it here too.

I've no real objection to the odd OT post - but when they are frequent
and all on the same themes they become as bad as those from other paranoid
types like religious nutters.

Worse still is Phil Allison from Australia you should see his over on
uk.rec.audio!...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Unfortunately, you cannot delete or rename groups. If you look at the list
you will see some very oddly named ones from the early days when students
thought it was funny to send bogus control messages with silly group names
in them.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Adrian" wrote in message
uk.politics.all.bbc.and.eu.and.renewable.energys.f ault

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian_Gaff
writes
Unfortunately, you cannot delete or rename groups.

Well, you can (as in there is a procedure for doing this involving
control messages)

But it would be a long winded process, involving the UK Usenet
committee, lots of circular arguing, voting etc.

You can find info on the management of the uk.* Usenet hierarchy at:

www.usenet.org.uk/

--
Chris French