Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How can I rename the private road that starts on my property?

I inherited a house with a paved private road and I wonder how to rename
the road?

I'm inclined to just change the sign but I'm sure that's not the right way
to do change the name of a private road.

The road has a public easement but it's a "privately maintained" road
wholly on private property (my house plus two neighbors).

The beginning, where the road sign is, is wholly on my property but then it
goes to the two neighbor's property (it's about a half mile long but a lot
of that is just a dirt road to the last house).

I'm wondering what the process is to rename the road?

Have any of you renamed a road before?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 16, 10:00*am, Trencherman wrote:
wrote:
I inherited a house with a paved private road and I wonder how to rename
the road?

I'm inclined to just change the sign but I'm sure that's not the right way
to do change the name of a private road.

The road has a public easement but it's a "privately maintained" road
wholly on private property (my house plus two neighbors).

The beginning, where the road sign is, is wholly on my property but then it
goes to the two neighbor's property (it's about a half mile long but a lot
of that is just a dirt road to the last house).

I'm wondering what the process is to rename the road?

Hmmm. It's privately maintained and serves 3 properties. That
would seem to indicate that all 3 property owners would share in the
maintenance and responsibility for the road. In that case, clearly
the first place to start would be the other 2 property owners. If
they don't wish to change the name, that's probably the end of the
road, don't ya think?

If they do and you get past that point, then obviously the next step
is to talk to the municipality officials and see what they have to
say. Even though it's privately owned and maintained, it's likely
they have a say in the matter. And I wouldn't go very far without
getting the other 2 property owners to agree upfront in writing.
Otherwise you may spend a lot of effort for nothing.

Have any of you renamed a road before?

Just wondering here-- do you think it might depend on the state, county,
city/town where it's located? Do you think it might have been helpful to
mention that in your OP?- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message ...
I inherited a house with a paved private road and I wonder how to rename
the road?

I'm inclined to just change the sign but I'm sure that's not the right way
to do change the name of a private road.

The road has a public easement but it's a "privately maintained" road
wholly on private property (my house plus two neighbors).

The beginning, where the road sign is, is wholly on my property but then
it
goes to the two neighbor's property (it's about a half mile long but a lot
of that is just a dirt road to the last house).

I'm wondering what the process is to rename the road?

Have any of you renamed a road before?

Is that road name part of your mail address?? WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 16, 10:39*am, "WW" wrote:
wrote in ....
I inherited a house with a paved private road and I wonder how to rename
the road?

I'm inclined to just change the sign but I'm sure that's not the right way
to do change the name of a private road.

The road has a public easement but it's a "privately maintained" road
wholly on private property (my house plus two neighbors).

The beginning, where the road sign is, is wholly on my property but then
it
goes to the two neighbor's property (it's about a half mile long but a lot
of that is just a dirt road to the last house).

I'm wondering what the process is to rename the road?

Have any of you renamed a road before?

Is that road name part of your mail address?? WW

Also, is it on Google Maps? Changing the sign might confuse mail
delivery, FedEX and mapping programs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 16, 5:41�pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Jan 16, 10:39�am, "WW" wrote:

wrote in ...
I inherited a house with a paved private road and I wonder how to rename
the road?

I'm inclined to just change the sign but I'm sure that's not the right way
to do change the name of a private road.

The road has a public easement but it's a "privately maintained" road
wholly on private property (my house plus two neighbors).

The beginning, where the road sign is, is wholly on my property but then
it
goes to the two neighbor's property (it's about a half mile long but a lot
of that is just a dirt road to the last house).

I'm wondering what the process is to rename the road?

Have any of you renamed a road before?

Is that road name part of your mail address?? WW

Also, is it on Google Maps? �Changing the sign might confuse mail
delivery, FedEX and mapping programs.

R- Hide quoted text -

To rename it you must bring it up to current intersate highway specs

3 foot of base, 2 foot thick rebar reinforced concrete, in your area
high effiicency road lights, that power bill is going to cost you now
till you sell

Then theres snow plowing, paying the town many fees,, and getting the
issue put on the next ballot, so hire a high priced attorney

Just joking but why do you want to change the name?

Is it like ossama bin laden blvd ??
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

I inherited a house with a paved private road and I wonder
how to rename the road?

You fill out a "Road Name Change Request Form"...
http://www.villageofpinehurst.org/Li...=191 &mid=581

Or search google.com for the words...
road name change request

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I inherited a house with a paved private road and I wonder how to rename
the road?

I'm inclined to just change the sign but I'm sure that's not the right way
to do change the name of a private road.

The road has a public easement but it's a "privately maintained" road
wholly on private property (my house plus two neighbors).

The beginning, where the road sign is, is wholly on my property but then it
goes to the two neighbor's property (it's about a half mile long but a lot
of that is just a dirt road to the last house).

I'm wondering what the process is to rename the road?

Have any of you renamed a road before?

---
news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

Possible, but likely not worth it unless you have major reasons for
wanting to do so. Are the mail boxes out by the real road, or in front
of the houses? Do people mail to a RR number, or to the name of the
private road? Does the tax assessor and the deed office have the
properties recorded by lot number in a subdivision plat of record with
assigned street names, a 'metes and bounds' description, a section
description, or what? And whatever records they have, do they have a
line that says 'commonly known as 1234 Whatever Drive?. Basically, if
there is an official record of the current name anywhere, whatever
officials control those offices will have to bless any change. Do it
without official blessing, and you might lose mail service, and
complicate future tax and property transfer transactions. Not to
mention, of course, have fire/police/ambulance calls go astray.

In old maps of this town, lots of streets in the older part of town have
different names. Most were renamed to make traffic arteries have the
same name from end-to-end, but some 'prestigious' sounding names were
stolen by well-connected developers for the then-new fancy subdivisions
on the south side of town. (Streets named after presidents or local
power families, mainly.)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
(Streets named after
presidents or local power families, mainly.)

We have a bunch of those as well, streets named after presidents. Quiet and
unassuming, they are mostly in residential areas, for neighborhoods.

About 10 years ago, we still had a Centennial Boulevard, created in 1959 in
honor of the Centennial of the State of Oregon. It was a big deal for those
of us who live here and are proud Oregonians.

Of course they renamed to MLK Boulevard. It's where the University of
Oregon football stadium is located. Bunch of carpetbaggers from out of
state came in and raised a ruckus, then the mayor caved in and signed the
order.

*******s. All of 'em. *******s.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 14:54:54 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Is it like ossama bin laden blvd ??

San Francisco is stopping the Martin Luther King parade, after 24
years. Figger they will eventually change the street name.

Shyte! In LA there are now tours of 'gangsta' areas. A 2 hour tour,
lunch stop... The disclaimer is you sign away your right to life. One
stop is Watts.

Think what those street names are?!!

I can call any street what I want to. If you don't know how to 'git'
to 'pole crossing' - whay back where the moonshine was famous.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Is it like ossama bin laden blvd ??

San Francisco is stopping the Martin Luther King parade, after 24
years. Figger they will eventually change the street name.

Shyte! In LA there are now tours of 'gangsta' areas. A 2 hour tour,
lunch stop... The disclaimer is you sign away your right to life. One
stop is Watts.

Think what those street names are?!!

I can call any street what I want to. If you don't know how to 'git'
to 'pole crossing' - whay back where the moonshine was famous.

I have read many news stories that end bad because the fire/ambulance
did not find the address.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 18:42:15 -0500, aemeijers
wrote:

[...]

Outstanding. One of my former homes was overlooking Saranac Lake, NY.

The copy of the title search was about two inches thick. Apparently
the land had an Indian trail where my house sat on the top of the
hill. Not sure if was "Algonquin Indians".

"...this region is now called the “Adirondacks”, a Native American
name meaning “bark eaters.”

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 20:21:16 -0500, Metspitzer
wrote:

I have read many news stories that end bad because the fire/ambulance
did not find the address.

Flicking the remote the other day, I happened on _world's dumbest
employees_.

They made a cartoon likeness of the audio. After the call, 911
response, another call from the chest pain fellow, EMT couldn't read
his GPS in the 'bam balance'. The elder bride drove the guy after
about two hours wait time.

It was in TN somewhere.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have read many news stories that end bad because the fire/ambulance
did not find the address.

Flicking the remote the other day, I happened on _world's dumbest
employees_.

They made a cartoon likeness of the audio. After the call, 911
response, another call from the chest pain fellow, EMT couldn't read
his GPS in the 'bam balance'. The elder bride drove the guy after
about two hours wait time.

It was in TN somewhere.

I can easily believe it. Not to excuse any errors or incompetence of the
local emergency services like that, but in rural hill country in many
states, the roads follow the bottom of the valleys, and are extremely
poorly documented. Roads can have 2 or 3 names, sometimes. The
traditional name, the name the road commission calls it, and what the
postmaster calls it. And they are often so-called 'private' roads, no
more than a glorified gravel driveway, and not documented at all, other
than maybe as an easement. You can be less than a crow mile from a
neighbor, but be ten miles by road. In a less well-off county, the
ambulance is often 20 miles away, and there aren't but 2 or 3 for the
whole county. With the recent housing semi-collapse, there are many
yuppie 'country estate' subdivisions out in the boonies that the
developer never got the road paved/documented, and maybe 2-3 people live
way in the back, with the lots in front going back to scrub forest. For
city folk moving to country like that, it is a good idea to stop by the
sheriff's office and fire department to say hi and introduce themselves,
and ask to look at the map the dispatch operator uses, and make sure
their road (all of it) is in fact on there. This is especially true for
folks building a new house on a narrow winding road with no fire
hydrants, and the mailboxes are all out by the big road. (I've seen a
few semi-rich people who even added a pond to their property so the FD
would have a place to draft water from.)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Is it like ossama bin laden blvd ??

San Francisco is stopping the Martin Luther King parade, after 24
years. Figger they will eventually change the street name.

Shyte! In LA there are now tours of 'gangsta' areas. A 2 hour tour,
lunch stop... The disclaimer is you sign away your right to life. One
stop is Watts.

Think what those street names are?!!

I can call any street what I want to. If you don't know how to 'git'
to 'pole crossing' - whay back where the moonshine was famous.

I have read many news stories that end bad because the fire/ambulance
did not find the address.

Last visit here my brother used his GPS thing to find my road.
Following the instructions, he passed my road and turned onto a stone
drive that only goes 30 feet. Many maps show a road there, and many
show only the 30 or less feet at either end. I'm not sure if it once
was a road, or if it was only a "paper" road that never got built.
Between the 2 ends of the paper road are cattle out in a pasture and
some rough terrain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yepper. Lotsa abandoned rural roads like that around here, and in town,
several ghost subdivisions from the 1910s through the 1970s that never
got past having the land platted out, and maybe the sewers installed.
Mapquest, et al, keep insisting they are valid roads.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 13:08:47 -0500, aemeijers
wrote:

[snip]

Yepper. Lotsa abandoned rural roads like that around here, and in town,
several ghost subdivisions from the 1910s through the 1970s that never
got past having the land platted out, and maybe the sewers installed.
Mapquest, et al, keep insisting they are valid roads.

There's a map mistake around here. They show a road that isn't there.
There was a map mistake where I used to live. These mistakes show up
on EVERY map.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 18, 2:03�pm, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 13:08:47 -0500, aemeijers
wrote:

[snip]

Yepper. Lotsa abandoned rural roads like that around here, and in town,
several ghost subdivisions from the 1910s through the 1970s that never
got past having the land platted out, and maybe the sewers installed.
Mapquest, et al, keep insisting they are valid roads.

There's a map mistake around here. They show a road that isn't there.
There was a map mistake where I used to live. These mistakes show up
on EVERY map.
--
Mark Lloydhttp://notstupid.us

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster

They all use the same database, and there are lots of errors. But
considering everything its remarkably accurate
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Jan 18, 2:03�pm, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 13:08:47 -0500, aemeijers
wrote:

[snip]

Yepper. Lotsa abandoned rural roads like that around here, and in town,
several ghost subdivisions from the 1910s through the 1970s that never
got past having the land platted out, and maybe the sewers installed.
Mapquest, et al, keep insisting they are valid roads.

There's a map mistake around here. They show a road that isn't there.
There was a map mistake where I used to live. These mistakes show up
on EVERY map.
--
Mark Lloydhttp://notstupid.us

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster

They all use the same database, and there are lots of errors. But
considering everything its remarkably accurate

Some of those mistakes, at least in the old days, were on purpose, to
see if somebody was bootlegging their maps. Map publisher would drive
around their market area, and buy a copy of all the competitor's maps.
If the mistake was also on the competitor's map, they had a pretty good
case in court for copyright infringement. In the old days before the
judge told Ma Bell she had to share, they did the same thing with
phonebook listings. I think they still do it with commercial junk mail
databases- they add fake addresses that come back to them, so they know
if people are using their list without paying.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've heard of "seeding" the mailing lists like that. Add a
couple names.

My old neighborhood, most of the maps were wrong. I
remember my Dad wrote to a map company one time. I don't
think he heard back.

And when I got some free maps off the NYS Thruway, I wrote
and told them about some mistakes. I know I never heard
back.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 06:43:18 -0800, "
wrote:

I inherited a house with a paved private road and I wonder how to rename
the road?

I'm inclined to just change the sign but I'm sure that's not the right way
to do change the name of a private road.

The road has a public easement but it's a "privately maintained" road
wholly on private property (my house plus two neighbors).

The beginning, where the road sign is, is wholly on my property but then it
goes to the two neighbor's property (it's about a half mile long but a lot
of that is just a dirt road to the last house).

I'm wondering what the process is to rename the road?

Have any of you renamed a road before?

Contact whatever entity assigns 911 addresses. They must approve all
addresses.

My house faces the 4400 block but because my drive winds around about
400 feet reaching the road, the entrance is in the 4500 block. and
that is my address.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 16, 7:41*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Jan 16, 10:39*am, "WW" wrote:

wrote in ...
I inherited a house with a paved private road and I wonder how to rename
the road?

I'm inclined to just change the sign but I'm sure that's not the right way
to do change the name of a private road.

The road has a public easement but it's a "privately maintained" road
wholly on private property (my house plus two neighbors).

The beginning, where the road sign is, is wholly on my property but then
it
goes to the two neighbor's property (it's about a half mile long but a lot
of that is just a dirt road to the last house).

I'm wondering what the process is to rename the road?

Have any of you renamed a road before?

Is that road name part of your mail address?? WW

Also, is it on Google Maps? *Changing the sign might confuse mail
delivery, FedEX and mapping programs.

R- Hide quoted text -

Also 'Emergency' services?
Numerous cases of an ambulance or a fire truck etc. wandering around
looking for a certain locally named lane or road!
This being one instance where trying to be individualistic and free of
'bureaucracy' may be will not pay out!

If and when the name is changed, there would be in some countries/
jurisdictions, a procedure to be followed; such as 'Publishing for a
period not less than five days in a local newspaper ....., also
advising in writing the county sheriff, county land records, fire
department, local ambulance services etc. etc.'. Also land deeds will
no doubt mention the name of the access or abutting road and several
might have to be amended. With a 'Previously named xyz road' notation;
small legal fees?

Why bother? Vanity? Hate the old name? Local feud? Wish to rename
after self, wife, daughter etc.?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 19, 9:57*am, terry wrote:
On Jan 16, 7:41*pm, RicodJour wrote:

On Jan 16, 10:39*am, "WW" wrote:

wrote in ...
[...]

In the rural area where I used to live, not far from my house, Spruce
Road crossed Spruce Road (near the village of Spruce, no less). We
locals just took it for granted -- "You know where Spruce Road crosses
Spruce Road? Well, just go east from there..." -- but it was always
fun to drive visitors over to the corner of Spruce Road and Spruce
Road and show them the road signs. I have no idea how public services
dealt with it; I supposed they listed addresses as north Spruce Road,
east Spruce Road, etc.