Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Can you rename a newsgroup?

How about rec.crafts.nonmetalworking?

I know many of you talk about filtering, but this is totally out of control.

Please take your political stuff somewhere else.

Not all newsgroups act this way Why did this happen to this one?
I hate to name the ones that I am talking about for fear you political
ranters will pollute them, too.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete S wrote:

How about rec.crafts.nonmetalworking?

No, but you can create one.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete S wrote:

How about rec.crafts.nonmetalworking?

I know many of you talk about filtering, but this is totally out of
control.

Please take your political stuff somewhere else.

Not all newsgroups act this way Why did this happen to this one?
I hate to name the ones that I am talking about for fear you political
ranters will pollute them, too.

Well, the real solution is to make a moderated group, and ban all
the spammers.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Not all newsgroups...?" You mean there are other NGs that are still
active? I used to monitor (& enjoy) 10 of 'em, but now the
"membership" has dried up and there are just spammers and really
serious, Olympic-grade nutcases.

All of the groups I used to monitor are technical in nature (all but 3
are "sci.*"), and a lot of the reliable old guard have died. So maybe
there are some other vibrant groups around. I do mourn for the lack of
good groups for geology, photography and others.

Oh, BTW, I agree with your point; I don't mind some off-topic stuff (I
think of this place as though it were a shop where topics could drift
around) but it's getting ridiculous.

I wish Agent would allow me to filter, not on mere crossposting, but
if one of the crossposted groups is, say, alt.nutjobs.whatever. That
would help a bit.

Joe

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 11:46:46 -0500, "Pete S"
wrote:

How about rec.crafts.nonmetalworking?

I know many of you talk about filtering, but this is totally out of control.

Please take your political stuff somewhere else.

Not all newsgroups act this way Why did this happen to this one?
I hate to name the ones that I am talking about for fear you political
ranters will pollute them, too.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe" wrote in message
[...]

I shall not name any specific newsgroups, lest I have to suffer their ire,
but I agree with you that some heretofore good newsgroups have gone to hell.
It's either political nutcases, or just social nutcases on a power trip,
banding together to form a dysfunctional cabal, and defending their
territory against all intruders, no matter how knowledgeable.

I never thought I'd say it, but I am in favor of moderated newsgroups. Used
to be that some nitwit could be filtered or ignored until they found another
bridge. But now, there ain't enough people with enough sense to just put
them on ignore, but insist on pig mud wrestling, thinking it is
entertainment.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe wrote:

"Not all newsgroups...?" You mean there are other NGs that are still
active? I used to monitor (& enjoy) 10 of 'em, but now the
"membership" has dried up and there are just spammers and really
serious, Olympic-grade nutcases.

All of the groups I used to monitor are technical in nature (all but 3
are "sci.*"), and a lot of the reliable old guard have died. So maybe
there are some other vibrant groups around. I do mourn for the lack of
good groups for geology, photography and others.

Oh, BTW, I agree with your point; I don't mind some off-topic stuff (I
think of this place as though it were a shop where topics could drift
around) but it's getting ridiculous.

I wish Agent would allow me to filter, not on mere crossposting, but
if one of the crossposted groups is, say, alt.nutjobs.whatever. That
would help a bit.

Newsproxy will let you prefilter for selected crossposted
newsgroup(s), or messages crossposted to more than your selcted number
of newsgroups.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 16:36:44 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Moderated has its problems too. I got kicked off practical machinist
for using my business logo as my avatar. Here is the avatar in another
moderated group: http://tinyurl.com/d857d9a

I'm on several gunbuilding forums, moderated works well on most. I've
had to cancel a couple. You can't have a control freak as moderator

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 18:20:52 -0400, Joe wrote:

I wish Agent would allow me to filter, not on mere crossposting, but
if one of the crossposted groups is, say, alt.nutjobs.whatever. That
would help a bit.

In Agent, subscribe to the offensive group, place it *above* all your important
groups in your list of groups you read. With cross post checking set to one
single group, pull headers in 'alt.nutjobs.whatever' every time you read
newsgroups, but do not read it. Nothing crossposted to that group will ever
appear in any group lower in the list.

Ask in alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent if something does not make
sense...
--
William
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/10/2012 6:36 PM, Steve B wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

It wouldn't have to be a moderated group - if cross-posting across types
were not allowed.

What traffic from an alt group be valid in a rec group - of any kind?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe wrote:

[...]

I've been waiting for that to come up.

Ok, you filter out what you don't want to see - but let it run rampant.

Kind of a model of our society's problems these days...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard wrote:

What traffic from an alt group be valid in a rec group - of any kind?

from news:alt.rec.crafts.metalworking, or doesn't anyone know that the
group exists?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard wrote:

Joe wrote:

[...]

Is that worse than letting the group die? If enough filtered the
crap, a lot of the idiots would give up.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It wouldn't have to be a moderated group - if cross-posting across types
were not allowed.

What traffic from an alt group be valid in a rec group - of any kind?

I get stuff that is all over the map. I merely apply my one strike rule for
the most blatant violators, filter others after they reach a boiling point,
and then just ignore the rest of the usual suspects who occasionally have
something pertinent to add to the conversation. If all minor violations
were a basis for filtering, we would essentially end up with nothing. I
like talking metalworking, but even in my shop while we are working, we talk
of other things, too.

BTW, today I built a new X shaped bow bunk for my boat trailer out of
3x3x.120 tube, added two keel rollers, and did other modifications. Most
main welding chores are now done. Time to pick up some stainless Friday,
and finish the electric. A little paint here and there, and it's time to
fish. It was 113 here today. I do hope summer is about over, even though I
was able to comfortably weld and work under my shaded shop area even though
I am still on my way to enclosing it with corrugated panels.

Keeping busy with projects also keeps me from indulging in too much prattle
here. I doubt if most of the prolific posters here get much metalworking
done. Or even know how to do it.

MHO

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/10/2012 10:43 PM, Steve B wrote:
[...]

I'm just trying to get the bottom sanded on my boat without having a stroke.

It's not THAT hot (it's Texas after all), but I've not become acclimated
this summer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard wrote:

Joe wrote:

[...]

No, they won't.
How would the idiots know who was filtering them.
They would just continue to cross post until thedevil got tired of
listening.
THEN they'd be sorry.
But not until.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard wrote in
m:
Richard wrote:
Ok, you filter out what you don't want to see - but let it run rampant.

Kind of a model of our society's problems these days...

Is that worse than letting the group die? If enough filtered the
crap, a lot of the idiots would give up.

No, they won't.
How would the idiots know who was filtering them.

They wouldn't -- but if enough people filtered them, the lack of responses to their posts
would eventually clue them in to the fact that nobody was listening, and they'd go away.

We've seen it happen a couple of times in rec.woodworking: a persistent troll harasses the
group for years, until a large majority decide enough is enough. Trolls feed on attention;
deny them attention, and they starve.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete S" wrote in message
How about rec.crafts.nonmetalworking?

I know many of you talk about filtering, but this is totally out of
control.

Please take your political stuff somewhere else.

Not all newsgroups act this way Why did this happen to this one?
I hate to name the ones that I am talking about for fear you political
ranters will pollute them, too.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------

Why is this not cross-posted to misc.survivalism, every other friggen' post
seems to be!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/11/2012 6:14 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
wrote in
m:
Richard wrote:
Ok, you filter out what you don't want to see - but let it run rampant.

Kind of a model of our society's problems these days...

Is that worse than letting the group die? If enough filtered the
crap, a lot of the idiots would give up.

No, they won't.
How would the idiots know who was filtering them.

They wouldn't -- but if enough people filtered them, the lack of responses to their posts
would eventually clue them in to the fact that nobody was listening, and they'd go away.

We've seen it happen a couple of times in rec.woodworking: a persistent troll harasses the
group for years, until a large majority decide enough is enough. Trolls feed on attention;
deny them attention, and they starve.

But this isn't trolling as much as just cross posting everthing from
other groups.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Is that worse than letting the group die? If enough filtered the
crap, a lot of the idiots would give up.

No, they won't.
How would the idiots know who was filtering them.
They would just continue to cross post until thedevil got tired of
listening.
THEN they'd be sorry.
But not until.

They are like any egomaniac or nut job. Screaming from a Louisville ladder
at the top of their lungs to people who pass by obliviously. Stating some
political view, and can't even say who their state assembly representative
is, or what voting district they are in. But they have the answers to all
the world's problems.

They will go on posting, and answering each and every post anyone who bites
on their troll line.

The way I see it, the stupid people are the ones who take the bait, and
debate with these idiots.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Richard" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I'll take this 113 degrees to 113% humidity any day. I lived in Houston,
surrounding area, and Lafayette, LA for about ten years. There is nothing
you can do about the humidity. The National Safety Council says it takes
three working days for a worker to become "work hardened" with regards to
the weather. I know that if I start out early, and warm up with the day, I
last longer than going out and starting when it is hot.

Good luck on the boat. I'm getting jazzed now that mine is getting close.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard wrote in
m:

Richard wrote:
Ok, you filter out what you don't want to see - but let it
run rampant.

Kind of a model of our society's problems these days...

Is that worse than letting the group die? If enough
filtered the
crap, a lot of the idiots would give up.

No, they won't.
How would the idiots know who was filtering them.

They wouldn't -- but if enough people filtered them, the lack
of responses to their posts would eventually clue them in to
the fact that nobody was listening, and they'd go away.

We've seen it happen a couple of times in rec.woodworking: a
persistent troll harasses the group for years, until a large
majority decide enough is enough. Trolls feed on attention;
deny them attention, and they starve.

But this isn't trolling as much as just cross posting everthing
from other groups.

The principle is the same: stop responding, and they'll go away.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 10, 5:24*pm, Karl Townsend
wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 16:36:44 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

The owner of Practically Useless Machinist (Don Thomas) is an asshole
on a massive ego trip.

Thomas is as stupid as they come and all he cares about is advertising
money and showing everyone that he's boss.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 16:36:44 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

The owner of CNC Advertising Zone (Paul Gentile) is just as bad.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 16:36:44 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

****

I once wanted to start a moderated newsgroup for heart surgery survivors.
After being exposed to the crowd at alt.config, I changed my mind. I still
think it would be a good idea and a good newsgroup, but that group at
alt.config was a ............... what word am I looking for ...........
"different" group of people when it came to answering questions from a rank
newbie who was simply looking for help.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-07-11, Richard wrote:
On 7/10/2012 6:36 PM, Steve B wrote:

[ ... ]

I never thought I'd say it, but I am in favor of moderated newsgroups. Used
to be that some nitwit could be filtered or ignored until they found another
bridge. But now, there ain't enough people with enough sense to just put
them on ignore, but insist on pig mud wrestling, thinking it is
entertainment.

[ ... ]

It wouldn't have to be a moderated group - if cross-posting across types
were not allowed.

What traffic from an alt group be valid in a rec group - of any kind?

Well ... in the case of this newsgroup -- alt.cnc and
rec.crafts.metalworking would be reasonable. (I think that those who
formed alt.cnc simply gave up on the rather increasingly complex process
of creating a big-8 newsgroup such as this.)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564